Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-10-2016, 11:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
CLA'd Pentax LX - occasional shutter hang

I'll preface this by saying this LX came back from Eric just this past November. I've shot a few rolls through it but it is doing one thing it was before it was sent off to him, though it seems to be far less often.
Basically the shutter hangs for a *very* long time but ONLY under the following conditions:

1. the camera is on Automatic mode and 2. It has been siting for at least a couple of days.

At this point my thought is that it's exposure related. When I snap that first shot, the shutter will open as if for a very long exposure and will close if switch the shutter-speed dial to another setting other than Auto.
It never does this if I've been using the camera, e.g. only for the first shot. It also never does this on any of the manual shutter settings. Eric did a clean and lube plus bumpers which he said should have taken care of any sticky mirror problems. He also said he'd take a second look at it to see what's going on but I've not sent it yet due to his health issues the past couple months.

Basically just wondering if anyone here has experienced a symptom like this with their LX. I'm afraid it could be electronic which I imagine to be an expensive replacement part fix. Honestly it does it so rarely that it only bothers me VERY seldomly, but I worry the problem could be systemic and get worse. I suppose I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Considering just holding on to it for now but we'll see.

04-10-2016, 11:25 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
At this point my thought is that it's exposure related. When I snap that first shot, the shutter will open as if for a very long exposure and will close if switch the shutter-speed dial to another setting other than Auto.
That it will close when switched to any other setting from auto is expected behavior.

When you snap the shutter on the first shot in auto - did you happen to notice what the selected shutter speed was?

It only happens on the first shot while in auto It has been siting for at least a couple of days. Is this with or without film?
04-10-2016, 11:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
That it will close when switched to any other setting from auto is expected behavior.

When you snap the shutter on the first shot in auto - did you happen to notice what the selected shutter speed was?

It only happens on the first shot while in auto It has been siting for at least a couple of days. Is this with or without film?
No, I've never noted the speed - it's always when I pick up the camera for a quick shot in auto and am not paying much attn.
Both with or without film. And as I mentioned, it doesn't always happen. It seemed to be getting fairly regular under those conditions, but since arriving back from Eric it FAR less often.
04-10-2016, 11:57 AM   #4

Have you noticed any difference after changing the batteries? I seem to recall having a similar issue when the batteries are low.

04-10-2016, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't have much specific camera related experience so I am only trying to diagnose the problem you are having using my extensive electronic background and two LXs - neither of which currently exhibit the problems you are having. My guess would be that the problem is related to switches and/or solder/connection points and not a deteriorating electronic component
04-10-2016, 02:29 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks both nonetheless. It could be a low battery perhaps, but it's done this for about a year or more, before and after visiting Eric. Couldn't hurt to swap them certainly.
04-10-2016, 10:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Commonly this happens when the mirror rest gets gooey. The gooey mirror rest sticks to the bottom of the mirror and makes it slow to go up. The mirror going up is what fires the shutter so that causes the delay. Replacing the little piece of rubber is easy. Having the mirror angle be correct so that your focus is right is harder.

04-10-2016, 11:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
Commonly this happens when the mirror rest gets gooey. The gooey mirror rest sticks to the bottom of the mirror and makes it slow to go up. The mirror going up is what fires the shutter so that causes the delay. Replacing the little piece of rubber is easy. Having the mirror angle be correct so that your focus is right is harder.
Thanks man. As I said though, Eric already performed a CLA which includes all rubber seals and bumpers. That was only 2 months ago. This isn't "sticky mirror syndrome" which can occur at any selected shutter speed; my symptom is ONLY when using Auto.
04-11-2016, 03:15 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'd let Eric check it again. He responded very quickly to a couple of cameras I just sent him, so seems to be ready for work. Over the years I've had to send a couple of bodies back for correction, but he as always resolved them quickly.
04-11-2016, 03:53 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I would change the batteries and give it another crack.
04-11-2016, 05:05 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I worked in camera service we'd always let a body sit overnight after repair.
When tested again the next morning sometimes a problem would be revealed.

I suggest you send it back to Eric describing the apparent "morning sickness".
I'm sure he will take into account that the camera was recently overhauled.

Chris
04-11-2016, 06:08 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh certainly - Eric has already said he'd take another look at it - not a problem. I just held off for the time being. I'll pop some batteries in and finish this roll and let it sit another week or so and see what happens. Just wondered if anyone had experienced this odd symptom.
04-11-2016, 10:52 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had that happen recently on one of my K2's, but is was during shooting and not after the camera was sitting. Has not happened since. (touch wood)

I also had a K2DMD that on AUTO would produce totally blank pictures, on manual the meter and camera worked fine. Eric fixed it but it's the electronics, so it may not last.

Phil.
04-11-2016, 02:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I had that happen recently on one of my K2's, but is was during shooting and not after the camera was sitting. Has not happened since. (touch wood)

I also had a K2DMD that on AUTO would produce totally blank pictures, on manual the meter and camera worked fine. Eric fixed it but it's the electronics, so it may not last.

Phil.
That's the sort of problem I'm imagining here which is a bit sad. I think it's safe to say that in the very long run my MXs will be purring along far after the LX electronics have wet the bed.
04-11-2016, 02:21 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
That's the sort of problem I'm imagining here which is a bit sad. I think it's safe to say that
in the very long run my MXs will be purring along far after the LX electronics have wet the bed.

When circuit boards are no longer available electronic cameras become old-tech paperweights.
That's one of the reasons I sold my Pentax LX. Likewise my Bronica RF645 and a couple others.
Most everything I now own has a mechanical shutter, except the P3N which is practically disposable.

Chris