Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2016, 07:47 PM - 1 Like   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Robust is a word that springs to mind when someone mentions the LX. The most annoying problem with it is the sticky mirror issue, but that is easy to solve if you know how.

04-12-2016, 08:43 PM - 2 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I also like the fact that Pentax went back to it's beginning - original 1957 Asahi Pentax, where the LX got it's styling cues.

04-12-2016, 08:44 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
LX is the finest film non-autofocus camera I've ever used period. MX is very nice but the F2 Nikon is better in my opinion. The LX crushes the F2. I owned the F2 and shot the LX a lot when my dad worked for Pentax.
I think we're of a very similar mentality then. I also found the F2 superior to the MX, the LX superior to the F2, and the F3 slightly inferior to the LX but making up for it by being cheaper and taking the Nikkors I already had.

To the OP - If you're buying into a new 35mm system, starting with nothing, you should certainly consider the LX very strongly. Although the MX is well made, the 1\1000 top shutter speed and small size put me off. My pinky was always hanging off! Although this also happens on my Fuji X-E1, that system's lighter weight makes it more acceptable.
In your situation I would look for an inexpensive LX and have it CLA'd by Eric, or perhaps contact him to see if he might have one for sale. I'm sure you'll find the 35mm Pentax (and Ricoh!) lenses excellent, and for travel 35mm is MUCH easier than MF. Lighter, smaller, less chance of making a serious mistake while loading\transporting film, greater availability of film, etc.
A Pentax Spotmatic was my travel (and only) camera while I was learning. It's since been eclipsed, but the small size and high quality of Pentax lenses makes its successors, including the MX and LX, good choices.
04-12-2016, 08:45 PM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Robust is a word that springs to mind when someone mentions the LX. The most annoying problem with it is the sticky mirror issue, but that is easy to solve if you know how.
Despite my earlier comment above, I tend to agree. I handled an LX for the first time last Sunday morning and my impression was that it was one solid piece of kit. If I saw a killer deal on a clean working copy, I would likely bite.

Steve

04-12-2016, 10:25 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Despite my earlier comment above, I tend to agree. I handled an LX for the first time last Sunday morning and my impression was that it was one solid piece of kit. If I saw a killer deal on a clean working copy, I would likely bite.
There's quite palpably just something about it, something I didn't grasp until I grasped it, literally (as with most cameras, for better or worse). It just make me want to shoot it.
04-13-2016, 12:18 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
oh... thanks!
I think I will monitor a bit and get one from Japan seller then. Did you specifically ask them to check sticky mirror problem or not at all?
I think only in winter months they will sit on selves, in warmer months I probably go out every weekend. lol. thanks!
Your welcome,
I asked him about the mirror if it's sticky or have any problem and also if the speed and lightmeter are accurate
And fortunately mine doesn't have any problem at all
And for $300, it's in a really nice condition 90/100

If that's the case then Lx is the answer for you lol
04-13-2016, 07:34 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kidz14127 Quote
Your welcome,
I asked him about the mirror if it's sticky or have any problem and also if the speed and lightmeter are accurate
And fortunately mine doesn't have any problem at all
And for $300, it's in a really nice condition 90/100

If that's the case then Lx is the answer for you lol
OK, I will do the same.

while OM2n is nice, I still would like to shoot with a Pentax if possible. lol. fanboy.

04-13-2016, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

while OM2n is nice, I still would like to shoot with a Pentax if possible.
You can send that bad boy OM2n to me. I can give you $25 and even pay the shipping

Steve
04-13-2016, 10:51 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You can send that bad boy OM2n to me. I can give you $25 and even pay the shipping

Steve
hahaha. The OM2n is very nice.
In fact, I didn't know other camera company have such a nice and small camera like Pentax.
I am now a fans of OM series and collecting them now...
04-13-2016, 12:14 PM   #40
Veteran Member

hahaha. The OM2n is very nice.
In fact, I didn't know other camera company have such a nice and small camera like Pentax.
I am now a fans of OM series and collecting them now...
IIRC, Olympus pioneered the small SLR with big viewfinder concept, and Pentax followed with the MX.
04-13-2016, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think we can all agree that the LX is well-made from excellent materials.
But it is also undeniable that it has some well documented problems.

I wouldn't call it an unreliable camera, but it is definitely rather high-maintenance.
Periodic overhaul is required, and as mentioned it's not cheap or easily obtained.

In short purchase of a Pentax LX is not for the fainthearted or bargain hunter.
Enter at your own risk...

Chris
04-13-2016, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #42
Pentaxian

I can't agree since I have two perfectly working LXs, that's had no maintenance, bought with unknown history and working perfectly for 7 years now.

I would agree that buying used - especially with camera history unknown, that there are risks involved.
04-13-2016, 05:27 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I don't really think it's daintier than others of its ilk and time period really..... I simply think it's thought of that way because 1.... if sticky mirror happens its a very frustrating and partially-to-completely debilitating issues until solved.... And 2.... a CLA for the LX involves more work in time and parts because of the complexity of its seals. These taken together means that when servicing time comes around it's much more of a "production".
I'd add as well that in some ways we're in the servicing "peak" of all the cameras made between 1990 and 2001 coming around to needing a little TLC.
04-13-2016, 05:40 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
1.... if sticky mirror happens its a very frustrating and partially-to-completely debilitating issues until solved....
I will defer to this since I haven't encountered this issue.
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
The most annoying problem with it is the sticky mirror issue, but that is easy to solve if you know how.
There is a youtube video about a fix to sticky mirror using talcum powder if you can believe it but again I haven't seen the issue.
04-13-2016, 05:50 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
There is a youtube video about a fix to sticky mirror using talcum powder if you can believe it but again I haven't seen the issue.
Hahahaha - I saw that a good while back. Not sure it's a "fix" but it's *something*.

---------- Post added 04-13-16 at 05:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I will be a heretic. I had an LX and found it a bit fragile. My had multiple problems: sticky mirror, flash sync mechanism failed, cable release threads stripped out, rubber inserts on left top wheel came loose and refused to glue back down. It's a beautiful camera, it's dainty. I had a Nikon FA at the same time, It was solid, rugged, felt like you could run a car over it and it would continue to function. Excellent viewfinder. And it had 1//250 flash sync instead of the pathetic, archaic 1/60 or slower of the LX. Throw the FA into you backpack - wrap the LX in velvet, then bubble wrap, then put it into a Pelican case.
This I don't agree with, though I understand some do feel this way. I've only had one for a couple years now but nothing has even approached this lemon-like behaviour.
For what it's worth as well, the "X" flash-sync speed on the LX is 1/75, not 1/60... huge difference I know.
Has never bothered me personally either way, but I do scant little flash work and when I do use them it's usually continuous lighting.
As far as bag tossing... I don't even have a case for my LX - it gets tossed in a small canvas bag that then goes in my backpack. Other than being wrapped in a towel a couple times thats the most protection its ever seen since living under my roof and my rules. (I worry FAR more about the plastic MZ-3 and MZ-S when they're in the pack than I ever do about he LX)

Last edited by Eyewanders; 04-13-2016 at 06:01 PM.