Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-27-2016, 01:30 PM   #16

I read various things about the pound shop Agfa Vista we get here, it seems it could be Agfa but some or all of it could be Ferrania, they all have decent dates on them and the shelves are usually full. I lost interest after a bit to be honest, I've shot a few rolls with it and as long as the processing is good, it's perfectly good film. Not sure if something similar is available over the water.

04-27-2016, 05:03 PM   #17
Forum Member

The 800 speed color films (Portra and CineStill) have grain, but it is a pleasant grain(at box speed). My personal experience (I'm a hack who shoots a lot, not a chemist) with higher speed B&W films is that chemistry has as much an effect on the look of the grain as the emulsion does.
04-27-2016, 06:03 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you like the faster stuff, I too would suggest some Superia 800, or even better some Natura 1600 - a bit cleaner look. Both of these look remarkable if rated a stop or two lower than box speed. Both look very respectable if rated *at* box speed, and both look rather like crap if underexposed. That's my opinion, and that of quite a few others I've spoken too. Just a fair bit of warning. Superia 200 and 400 can be found quite cheaply on Ebay, but I really only use those for snapshots and nothing serious - not a huge fan. They too IMO look much better when rated lower.

Oh yes, an Cinestill 800T is quite a bit fun though you'll need a warming filter to shoot in daylight if you're not a fan of the cooling color shift.
04-27-2016, 07:58 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I like Fuji Natura 1600 and have shot a few rolls worth. If the grain is not to your liking, you can run some grain reduction in post.

Example from Fuji Press 1600 - kin to Superia 1600, unaltered and with Neat Image applied

Huge file full res version -> Fuji Press 1600-01-32

Example from Fuji Natura 1600, unaltered and with Noise Ninja applied

Huge file full res version -> Fuji Natura1600-03-31

04-27-2016, 08:15 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I've used Lomography's 800ASA colour film with reasonable results for 6x4 prints. They also make a 100ASA colour print film which is excellent for when the light is bright and you want to shoot wide open. I currently have a three-roll pack of their Earl Grey black and white negative film en route, and I will be developing that at home myself.
Given the lack of physical Lomo shops in Canada and the shipping costs from the Lomo site, I've found you're generally better off just buying the stock they're rebadging from.

(Last I heard, Lomo 100 Kodak and Earl Grey is Foma.)

The Lomo 800 is about the only exception, as I've never seen a Kodak 800-speed colour film for sale elsewhere around here. (And the 120 Lomo 800 may not even be Kodak; no one has quite figured out who's making it.)

Last edited by g026r; 04-27-2016 at 08:22 PM.
04-28-2016, 02:00 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Superia 200 and 400 can be found quite cheaply on Ebay, but I really only use those for snapshots and nothing serious - not a huge fan. They too IMO look much better when rated lower.
I've found this too - 400 is really more like 200-300 and doesn't appreciate underexposure much
04-28-2016, 03:03 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
Given the lack of physical Lomo shops in Canada and the shipping costs from the Lomo site, I've found you're generally better off just buying the stock they're rebadging from.
This is true, and I can speak to early experience there. However, from time to time I've found it selling fairly cheaply on Amazon. That's where I'm getting mine now, and usually only to make an order up to free-shipping levels.

04-28-2016, 04:00 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote

(Last I heard, Lomo 100 Kodak and Earl Grey is Foma.)

The Lomo 800 is about the only exception, as I've never seen a Kodak 800-speed colour film for sale elsewhere around here. (And the 120 Lomo 800 may not even be Kodak; no one has quite figured out who's making it.)
The Lomo 120 100 I have is Foma
The Lomo 135 400 earl gray I have is TMax
04-28-2016, 04:26 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
The Lomo 135 400 earl gray I have is TMax
Typo? 400 is Lady Grey. And yes, the times in the Massive Development Chart are identical to those for Tmax. However, I have now completely shot out my supply of Lady Grey and a ten-pack of T-max 400 just arrived the other day, so it's a distinction without a difference for me. It was a good way to get a small supply of B&W and check whether I really wanted to do this full-time before ordering larger batches of film, but 10x36 shot rolls of Tmax should keep me going for a while.

What, by the way, is the difference between TMX and TMY?
04-28-2016, 04:57 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Typo? 400 is Lady Grey. And yes, the times in the Massive Development Chart are identical to those for Tmax. However, I have now completely shot out my supply of Lady Grey and a ten-pack of T-max 400 just arrived the other day, so it's a distinction without a difference for me. It was a good way to get a small supply of B&W and check whether I really wanted to do this full-time before ordering larger batches of film, but 10x36 shot rolls of Tmax should keep me going for a while.

What, by the way, is the difference between TMX and TMY?
Embarrassing typo confirmed.
TMX -100 ISO
TMY -400 ISO

I think

http://www.taphilo.com/Photo/kodakfilmnumxref.shtml

I don't use Kodak too expensive here, Lomo is in local pharmacies when you are stuck and need to pony up.

Last edited by Xmas; 04-28-2016 at 05:33 AM.
04-28-2016, 07:31 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Something tells me there is quite a bit of a learning curve here... Anyway, Portra is on the way, according to Amazon. I find it interesting how things return to where they started. When I just got my first camera back in the last days of the USSR, you didn't really think which film was better, you just got what you could. In some ways it is like that now - I got Portra because that's what I could get before the weekend...
04-28-2016, 11:52 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Something tells me there is quite a bit of a learning curve here... Anyway, Portra is on the way, according to Amazon. I find it interesting how things return to where they started. When I just got my first camera back in the last days of the USSR, you didn't really think which film was better, you just got what you could. In some ways it is like that now - I got Portra because that's what I could get before the weekend...
Portra400 is the default of many a shooter. It's good stuff. It too looks great rated a stop lower but is a bit more forgiving of underexposure than the fuji consumer varieties I'd say. Also more expensive around here.
04-29-2016, 06:23 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Well you can't go wrong with Kodak Portra. It's a low contrast film that gives you relatively "flat" colors which makes it much easier to work with. Which did you get - 160, 400 or 800?

In any case they have huge latitude that allows you to err on the overexposure side by quite a bit as can be seen in the exposure test I did below.

Kodak Portra 400

What this means is that on a single frame, you can recover underexposed and overexposed areas in a pic such as shown below.

Kodak Portra 400

Once you are comfortable knowing the exposure latitude of these films you can take advantage of it. For instance in the scene below, my camera meter indicated a "correct" exposure of 1/60 but I wanted 1/2 (5 stops overexposure) to smooth out the stream. So I took it knowing that I can still get good results.

Kodak Ektar 100

Also, there are no reciprocity issues when conducting very long exposures.

Kodak Portra 800 > 5 minutes

Kodak Portra 160 is a tad less grainy then 400 and 800.

Kodak Portra 160

Last edited by LesDMess; 04-29-2016 at 06:28 PM.
04-29-2016, 06:29 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Les, regarding your exposure experiment, are all those shots on the same roll? Did you process for ASA400? Thanks!
04-29-2016, 06:35 PM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
Les, regarding your exposure experiment, are all those shots on the same roll? Did you process for ASA400? Thanks!
Same roll processed at box speed which in this case is 400.
I start of by setting my lights to meter a gray card for normal exposure. Maintaining the light, I simply vary the shutter speed for the range of exposure. Each frame is evenly lit.