Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2016, 04:19 PM   #1

Spotmatic winder alternatives ?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a winder for my SP, but it seems clearly difficult to find one, and the only availables on the internet are freaking expensive.

So i would like to know if it exist some alternatives of the classic Spotmatic motor drive, like if there's winders from other models which can match with the SP ?

Take Care

05-10-2016, 06:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not that I am aware of. The 'motor drive' was the only automated winding system for the Spotmatic and they are rare (hence freaking expensive).
05-10-2016, 08:46 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Until the advent of the M series cameras the motor drive and databacks were special order only and hugely expensive. There was no point in a third party making a compatible motor drive or winder because anyone buying a motor drive body bought the motor drive with it. Note too that there are two different sorts of motor drive for the spotmatic so you may need to do some research to find out which one suits your body.
05-11-2016, 05:08 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks the lot, that was very helpfull

Well, I'll just need to be patient and wait for the good bargain opportunity.

05-11-2016, 05:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The motor drive for KX/KM motor modified bodies might fit a Spotmatic motor modified body (may require some modification?). They are supposedly very similar.
05-11-2016, 08:03 AM   #6

Original Poster
Is it not too risky to make modifications of the Spotmatic motor ? I read somewhere that you can block the SP motor if you put the wrong winder :/
05-11-2016, 09:42 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mukkinn Quote
Is it not too risky to make modifications of the Spotmatic motor ? I read somewhere that you can block the SP motor if you put the wrong winder :/
Well, the KM and KX could be modified by Pentax to cary a motordrive (mind you....I've never seen one in real world) just like the spotmatic, and I read that these motordrives were (nearly) identical to the spotmatic motordrives. Perhaps a gear or so had to be changed.

So you have an SP motor, but no motor drive?

05-11-2016, 11:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I also have an SPF motor with no motor drive. Picked it up in an antique shop with good 55/1.8 and unusably fungussed 35/2 Taks for £40 - I can only assume that it once belonged to a photographer who bought it with the motor drive, but it got lost at some point in history in an attic or a cupboard. One day I'll be lucky enough to find a good condition motor drive, and be able to afford it...

05-11-2016, 02:02 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another problem is battery. The most common grip takes a 12v rechargeable battery that nobody make anymore. There is an adapter option using two really expensive Hasselblad batteries inside the mentioned grip. And there is even a AA option but that requires a different cap.

There are two types of motor drive. Important to get the correct drive. Wrong drive could short circuit the camera.

Read more here: http://www.aohc.it/testi.php?id_testi=55

---------- Post added 05-11-2016 at 11:07 PM ----------

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a winder for my SP, but it seems clearly difficult to find one, and the only availables on the internet are freaking expensive.

So i would like to know if it exist some alternatives of the classic Spotmatic motor drive, like if there's winders from other models which can match with the SP ?

Take Care
Can you provide a picture of your camera?
05-12-2016, 04:50 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Well, the KM and KX could be modified by Pentax to cary a motordrive (mind you....I've never seen one in real world) just like the spotmatic, and I read that these motordrives were (nearly) identical to the spotmatic motordrives. Perhaps a gear or so had to be changed.

So you have an SP motor, but no motor drive?
Unfortunately i'm not good enough with the old camera's hardware for practicing this kind of operation without risk ^^

No I just have a basic Spotmatic, exactly like this one :

, it's just that the winders are much more expensive than the body (bought the SP for 50$, the Winder cost 400$ minimum), it's strange.

But I guess the winder is not really necessary ^^
05-12-2016, 04:53 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

FYI you can't just buy a winder (motor drive) for a stock standard spotmatic. You actually have to buy the winder with the 'motor drive' model - they go together. Modifying a stock standard spotmatic is fraught with problems - if not impossible.

---------- Post added 05-12-16 at 09:54 PM ----------

And nice 8 element ST 50/1.4 or is it? Serial looks right but the IR mark seems wrong
05-12-2016, 04:57 AM   #12

Original Poster
Oh riiiiiight, thanks for the Information, god i'm stupid. Now I understand better why theres not so much infos about basic SP winders, they just don't exist xD
05-12-2016, 05:59 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thumb, or index finger. The latter is tricky and may result in a sprain, so be careful...

Chris
05-12-2016, 09:33 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Thumb, or index finger. The latter is tricky and may result in a sprain, so be careful...

Chris
What ?
05-12-2016, 02:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Oh riiiiiight, thanks for the Information, god i'm stupid. Now I understand better why theres not so much infos about basic SP winders, they just don't exist xD
All good. There is much to learn about this old equipment. Have a look at the camera and lens databases - lots of info there.