Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2016, 09:20 AM   #76
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Thanks for the detail, and gorgeous photos by the way.

Just to clarify, where these exposed for 100iso and developed at box speed, or developed as 100iso as well?
Thanks.

Yes, exposed as if it were ISO 100 film - Exposure Index (EI) of 100. But, no, it was not developed as if I shot/metered it as ISO 400 film (normal development). The development was cut way short because it was over exposed. Highlights develop faster than the shadows. With the short development time, it kept the highlights from going too far (compresses them) but with extra exposure it made sure I grabbed enough shadow detail. In short, the old saying, expose for the shadows and develop for the highlights.

How much do you do? It is film and developer dependent. And you have to work it out. I'm just exercising Ansel Adams Zone System of development. You can read about in his book, The Negative, as well as other sources. And if you do, bear in mind that you don't have to get so technical reading film densities and producing those N, N+1, N-1, etc curves to practice his method. But a one-degree spot meter is probably an essential tool.

Last edited by tuco; 06-26-2016 at 11:44 AM.
06-26-2016, 07:35 PM   #77
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
In short, the old saying, expose for the shadows and develop for the highlights.
Thanks again, I'm going to have to start playing around with developing