Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
06-01-2016, 09:58 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
.and a 8X10 format transparency is truly something to behold*.
It must be awsome, because a 35mm Kodachrome can be spectacular.

06-01-2016, 10:16 PM   #17
Pentaxian

To say film is anti-capitalist does seem ridiculous to me.

I shoot both film and digital and between the two I like film more. However, when I compare the general body of work out there (on Flickr for example) I like the film stuff much more. I can browse a film group for ages and find many images I really, really like but if I do the same with digital I just see image after image of over-processed, meaningless junk.
06-01-2016, 10:29 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Bill Cunningham still shoots on film. Yes, it's mainly street fashion photography in NYC, but he also covers Paris Fashion Week.

The New York Times no longer has a darkroom so he has to send a gopher to a one hour place to get results.
06-03-2016, 08:40 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
However, when I compare the general body of work out there (on Flickr for example) I like the film stuff much more. I can browse a film group for ages and find many images I really, really like but if I do the same with digital I just see image after image of over-processed, meaningless junk.
Hear-hear!

06-03-2016, 09:57 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Fuji Discontinued Velvia (disneychrome) 8X10 sheet film format in 2013, AFAIK Provia and Astia are still in production.
Velvia 100 and Provia 100F are "supposedly" still available in 8x10. That would be it for slide film in that size.

Phil.
06-03-2016, 10:39 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
To say film is anti-capitalist does seem ridiculous to me.
I can browse a film group for ages and find many images I really, really like but if I do the same with digital I just see image after image of over-processed, meaningless junk.
Double hear-hear! And extend this idea to a set of prints.
There is plenty of diatribe'ing and hullabaloo to be had (and has been had) on the subject, but this is one of the simplest distillations for me personally.
06-04-2016, 03:15 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Velvia 100 and Provia 100F are "supposedly" still available in 8x10

I haven't seen anyone who actually has 8X10 format Velvia 50 in stock, the ISO 100 stuff is reasonably easy to come by in common sheet formats. You can still get Neopan 100 in common sheet film formats direct from japan, I have been shoring up my stocks of b&w sheet film.

Last edited by Digitalis; 06-04-2016 at 03:20 AM.