Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2008, 03:55 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Super Program problem with film advance and shutter release

I am very new to photography and just bought my son who is also a newbie a Super Program off of Ebay. We had to get batteries for it and at first the shutter release and film advance lever were working fine. After about 5 or six practices with the release and advance lever the release would not work anymore and the advance lever will now only go about 1/4 of the way. Thus the film when loaded will not advance. I did find others on this list and on the web with the same problem and I didn't see a real solution. I think we may be out of luck and the body is not ever going to work. It is disappointing however It did come with a good lens and filter that we can still use. We would just need another KA mount body. Any ideas?

07-18-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have you opened the film door? There might be a film inside that keeps it from advancing?
07-18-2008, 04:16 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you for your response. Yes we have opened the film door and tried to load film ourselves into the camera. We have read the manuel and I am relatively sure I have followed directions. But I still may be doing something silly. Ü
07-18-2008, 04:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Do the lcd screens show any numbers in the view finder? Only asking to rule out dead batteries.

07-18-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Here is a link to a repair manual.

Pentax Manuals

Not sure how much this would help.

Might just be easier to buy another body.

If you ask what body to buy, you will get at least 10 opinions. In my opinion here are some ideas, and the price I would pay on e-bay.

ME $45-65
ME Super $55-75
K1000 $35-65
KX $75-125
KM $65-85
MX $85-125
Super Program/Super A $65-100

Now for the other opinions...

07-18-2008, 06:47 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Send the Camera to Eric

Buying another camera body just puts you in the same Vegas dice-roll on ebay. I would send the camera body to Eric Hendrickson of Pentax Camera Service.

For FREE he will evaluate the condition of the camera, identify repairs necessary to bring it back to as-new operating condition and quote you a firm price to make necessary repairs. You will then have a warranteed camera that will last for 20 years.

His charge for a Clean, Lubricate, Adjust is less usually than $60 - about the price of another trial body.

If you refuse his quote he will send you the camera back FREE OF CHARGE. Your total risk is about $10 - the cost of Priority Mail to Sharps Chapel (Knoxville) Tennessee.

Many on this board swear by Eric's work for all thier film cameras and lenses. I have personally had more than ten camera bodies clean and/or repaired by Eric since 2004. Here is a link to his website to see for yourself what he does and what he charges. Click all 5 links on the right to read the whole story.

Home for Pentax Camera Service

FWIW, I have no financial interest or other reason to recommend Eric - but the tradition on this Forum is to offer referral services and testimonials for those who have given great Pentax service for many years.

Good luck - that is a wonderful camera.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-19-2008 at 06:19 AM.
07-18-2008, 09:00 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Everybody, Thank you so much for your awesome replies. Yes, the LED displays 1000 or 125 if set to 125. The batteries appear to be alright (we just bought them). I am going to try Eric. I am excited to learn about photography on this camera. I really appreciate your help.