Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
08-02-2016, 12:20 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The ME super is fully manual as well as Aperture preferred (if desired). It is electronic in controls and uses two A76 batteries. It is smaller and lighter than the K1000 but does lack a depth of field preview option. It is one of the highest rated manual focus K mount cameras in the Pentax Forums database at 8.87. The KX, MX, and LX are some of the ones that are rated higher.

Pentax ME Super - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
Pentax ME Super Review

I'm totally clueless why the hate is directed at this great camera - the K1000 and variants of it are much less sophisticated. I guess the concerns may be about the long term reliability of the electronics package that controls shutter speed? In any case - I think it is a lovely camera - think Nikon FE but Pentax style.
Nobody hates the ME Super, it's just built to an inferior standard than a MX and especially an original K mount, and I challenge anybody to say otherwise.

Plus, my tech told me that if develops a slow mirror return the damper might be busted and in that case it's very hard to repair, harder than a MX which is already a problem as it's miniaturised in comparison to a full body K.

Personally I think a simple KM or KX are a better choice and better value, if I need aperture priority I prefer a K2 or even more a K2DMD.

08-02-2016, 12:22 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm totally clueless why the hate is directed at this great camera -
I don't see hate for the ME Super at all but perhaps more preference for the others instead.
08-02-2016, 12:25 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
I don't think it is hate just more reliable so more expensive. Personally I never use depth of field or self timer anyway.
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Nobody hates the ME Super, it's just built to an inferior standard than a MX and especially an original K mount, and I challenge anybody to say otherwise.

Plus, my tech told me that if develops a slow mirror return the damper might be busted and in that case it's very hard to repair, harder than a MX which is already a problem as it's miniaturised in comparison to a full body K.

Personally I think a simple KM or KX are a better choice and better value, if I need aperture priority I prefer a K2 or even more a K2DMD.
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I don't see hate for the ME Super at all but perhaps more preference for the others instead.
I misread an early comment. I have ammended my statement in my original post. Also I too love the MX and prefer it to the K series. The truth is I only shoot digital these days and enjoyed my PZ-1 but it is mostly retired now.
08-02-2016, 01:23 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I'd not say inferior instead different eg more costly to repair.
If you don't need the semi auto (aperture priority) don't pay for it.
If you get one cheap ok but if it breaks buy another may be easy cheap option.
The foam is easy to replace instructions on web.

08-02-2016, 01:44 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

...a simple KM or KX are a better choice and better value...

This is my recommendation, too. You might add K1000 to the end of that short list.
IMO a mechanical camera is a better choice as it should be serviceable for as long as 35mm is available.

Chris
08-02-2016, 07:47 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I much prefer the KX and the K2, except when I want a split-prism viewfinder. Then I switch to the MX or ME.
I have several ME Supers that came free with lenses I was buying. I have never liked that camera. Maybe it's the buttons.
08-31-2016, 08:24 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MX or KX are my recommendation. I remember when the K1000 came out as a stripped down KM (which in turn was a budget KX) and thinking how this basic model was aimed at the bottom of the market with it's limitations. Yet now, the irony is that because so many still think it is cheap, it has become more expensive than the brilliant KX. This is not to cast dispersion on the K1000, but on the sheeple who don't investigate the alternatives.

08-31-2016, 10:48 PM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
MX or KX are my recommendation. I remember when the K1000 came out as a stripped down KM (which in turn was a budget KX) and thinking how this basic model was aimed at the bottom of the market with it's limitations. Yet now, the irony is that because so many still think it is cheap, it has become more expensive than the brilliant KX. This is not to cast dispersion on the K1000, but on the sheeple who don't investigate the alternatives.
I got myself a P30, has all the manual stuff that I want, got it in good condition and was dirt cheap