Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2016, 06:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
CLA tutorial?

Just getting back into film SLRs and as someone who loves to tinker, I was wondering if there are any really good DIY tutorials on how to clean and lube some of these classic Pentax SLRs from the 1970s.

08-07-2016, 07:54 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Service manuals are available at the Pentax Manuals Web site:

PENTAX MANUALS

The main challenge to doing your own CLA is getting access to the instrumentation needed to calibrate shutter and meter and accumulating appropriate tools to do the job. OTOH, a CLA is not expensive. Users on this site favor the services of Eric Hendrickson for both CLA and repair.

Eric Hendrickson: Pentaxs.com

Steve
08-07-2016, 11:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To do the job properly on a camera body you also need a calibrated light source to check exposure/calibrate meter. You also need a shutter tester that can measure shutter curtain travel time and shutter speed. Stevebrot was right about this. Without the instrumentation, lubricating a shutter barrel randomly may actually make your shutter worse. CLA stands for clean, lubricate and adjust. You can't do much adjusting without instruments. Eric is a good choice to get the job done right. If your goal is to clean up something so that it looks better or clean diaphragm blades, then instrumentation is not needed.
08-07-2016, 11:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well, I did put CL and A in the title because I figured if I just put CL, people might not know what I was talking about. If you noticed though, I did only mention cleaning and lube in the text of the message. I realize that adjustment would require very specialized and probably expensive equipment. If I find that any camera I acquire is not producing properly exposed images and needed adjustment, I would just bite the bullet and spend the $65 plus shipping to have Eric fix it for me. He will be getting my MX soon because I'm not ready to tackle this yet. I just know myself and realize that I will be wanting to put a screwdriver to a camera pretty soon because I can't not tinker on my hobby equipment. I just want some guidance before I start breaking stuff.

I am a ham radio operator and buying broke radios from eBay and melting on them with a soldering iron is pretty fun so I just know that now that I have been bitten by the 35mm film slr bug, I'm going to want to be taking this gear apart too. I see an MX on eBay for cheap that needs the shutter button fixed and a few other old classics that just need some cleaning. I'm not trying to make camera repair a full-time job or anything but if I can get a broke Pentax for $50, fix it, and sell it for $65 while enjoying a new hobby, that would be great. I might even be able to finance a nice collection of classic gear in the process.

08-08-2016, 04:27 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Make money? My advice is don't get your hopes up.
I'm thrilled just to break even, which happens only rarely...

Chris
08-08-2016, 05:26 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Make money? My advice is don't get your hopes up.
I'm thrilled just to break even, which happens only rarely...

Chris
What he said ^^^

I have rehabilitated several cameras and except for all of them looking real pretty, none would sell for much more than what I paid...a crying shame, really

Steve