Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
08-18-2016, 05:00 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I think what he means is that the P series are a far more recent build and much less likely to have deteriorated seals.
Not really. The P5/P50 is the direct successor to the Super Program and even accepts the same winders. The P-series models were introduced as comparable A-series bodies were retired.

Steve

08-18-2016, 05:02 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Mirror bumper yes, light seals no. The bumper has not deteriorated on either of the P30Ts that I own.
Thanks for the clarification. I knew that foam light seals were phased out in the late 1980s, but did not know if it started with the P-series or later with AF models.

Steve
08-18-2016, 05:17 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Thanks for the clarification. I knew that foam light seals were phased out in the late 1980s, but did not know if it started with the P-series or later with AF models.

Steve
http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/seal/SmallSeal.pdf
Most of the time I don't have a battery in my SP or K1000 sunny /16 or Weston
08-18-2016, 05:28 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/seal/SmallSeal.pdf
Most of the time I don't have a battery in my SP or K1000 sunny /16 or Weston
Yep, that is a copy of Jon Goodman's general instructions for seal replacement.

Steve

08-18-2016, 05:36 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'll second the vote for the Chinon CE-4s. It's what the ME Super should have been. It doesn't quite have the build quality of Pentax, but it is an excellent film camera, with well thought-out controls.
08-18-2016, 07:10 PM   #21
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
A good reliable choice is the Chinon CP-7m it has a nice viewfinder, is easy to use, takes 4 AA batteries or a 2CR5, and works in M, Av, Tv, and program mode on ANY K-mount lens. Somehow Chinon solved it without the Contacts like Pentax or the Pin like Ricoh. Oh and as a bonus it has a built in winder. The slightly older CP-5 uses AAA battereis (it was also sold as the Sears KSX-P).

For reliability I really love my Ricoh A-100 (KR-10) Simular build to the K series Pentax's with a nice Match needle meter. works in Av or M The XR-2s is the same camera with DoF, Multi exp, and a couple other bells and wistles.

The latter Ricohs have led simulated match needle display for the shutter speed and it does not alway appear until after you take the first shot after turning on the camera. This happens with my XR-10, Sears KS-2 and XR-7

Of course for ultimate reliability the MX or KR-5 at the two ends of the manual spectrum
08-18-2016, 08:28 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kneemeister Quote
The latter Ricohs have led simulated match needle display for the shutter speed and it does not alway appear until after you take the first shot after turning on the camera. This happens with my XR-10, Sears KS-2 and XR-7
That is the case unless you use the "exposure indicator" switch built into the "grip" on the camera front to activate the display. When I pick up my XR7, that is the first thing I do without really thinking about it. The meter operates whether the display is active or not.

BTW...all of the cameras in your post are definitely worth consideration.

Steve

08-18-2016, 08:41 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
KEH is a good resource for purchase and not overly expensive.
Sorry but may I ask are you referring to https://www.keh.com/ ?

---------- Post added 08-18-16 at 08:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
An ME Super is almost certainly your best bet. Make sure you take some time finding a good one though since many are very well used (I've run a couple into the ground myself!)
Others here really like the Ricoh bodies and I like the Chinon K-mount SLRs - the CE-4S and CE-5 are solid, well built cameras with 1/2000s shutters and good ergonomics.
A question on Chinons: what about the light seals?

---------- Post added 08-18-16 at 08:53 PM ----------

A good reliable choice is the Chinon CP-7m it has a nice viewfinder, is easy to use, takes 4 AA batteries or a 2CR5, and works in M, Av, Tv, and program mode on ANY K-mount lens.
I saw a listing bundled with a Chinon 50/1.9 for 99 bucks, wondering if that's worth paying 25 bucks on this lens rather than hunting down a CZJ 50/2.8?
08-18-2016, 09:22 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
Sorry but may I ask are you referring to https://www.keh.com/ ?
Yes

I saw a listing bundled with a Chinon 50/1.9 for 99 bucks, wondering if that's worth paying 25 bucks on this lens rather than hunting down a CZJ 50/2.8?
The two are sort of apples and oranges. The Chinon is K-mount with typical Japanese Planar-derived design. The CZ Jena is an M42 Tessar. Both have their different strong points. If your intent is to specialize in M42 lenses, I suggest a Spotmatic II. M42 lenses on any of the K-mount bodies suggested on this thread are used as fully manual aperture lenses. The flow is workable, but cumbersome when compared to an M42 body.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-18-2016 at 09:27 PM.
08-18-2016, 10:10 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I've owned two CE-4s bodies, and both looked to have their original seals - which worked fine. They were a little gummy, as old seals can be, but they did the job.

---------- Post added 08-18-2016 at 10:13 PM ----------

Yes

If your intent is to specialize in M42 lenses, I suggest a Spotmatic II. M42 lenses on any of the K-mount bodies suggested on this thread are used as fully manual aperture lenses. The flow is workable, but cumbersome when compared to an M42 body.

Steve
Another option would be a Fujica ST801 - I have two, and they're an excellent M42 body. Google it - there's a thread on APUG that discusses it. It works great with any M42 lens, even if the lens does not have a manual/automatic switch on it.
08-18-2016, 10:22 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Personally I've never had a problem with them. FWIW, out of about 50 cheap and battered old cameras I've had over the past few years, I can count on the fingers of one hand those that have come with leaky seals.

Actually, speaking of Chinons and M42, the ultimate M42 mount camera might be the Chinon CE Memotron - 1/2000s shutter with aperture priority automatic exposure with any M42 lens (the camera stops down and TTL meters as you press the shutter). It's one hell of a tank though, almost medium format heavy.
08-18-2016, 11:08 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
the ultimate M42 mount camera might be the Chinon CE Memotron
Yep - but they command a price due to their unique features...
08-18-2016, 11:45 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gabriel_bc Quote
It works great with any M42 lens, even if the lens does not have a manual/automatic switch on it.
I would expect so. Almost all M42 bodies are good with auto-aperture lenses (most) and support manual/preset aperture too (the rest) regardless of whether they have the A/M switch.

Steve
08-19-2016, 12:21 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If you prefer a fully manual camera a KM or KX is a good choice.
Yeah but I do heavily rely on Av exposure automation at this stage.

---------- Post added 08-19-16 at 12:28 AM ----------

M42 lenses on any of the K-mount bodies suggested on this thread are used as fully manual aperture lenses. The flow is workable, but cumbersome when compared to an M42 body.
I currently use a Sony MILC for my K-mount lenses (native K-mount and M42 with aftermarket adapter) with stop-down metering and Av mode for almost all my shootings, and I don't find stop-down a problem (and it is easier than the K-01 as I don't have to do the green button metering). I wanted the CZJ 50/2.8 simply because I want a German glass at a reasonable price. I am also debating between a Samsung D-Xenon 35mm F2 AL Lens Reviews - Samsung Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database (which sells a bit cheaper on the used market) or a Leica Elmarit-R 35 mm F/2.8 (assuming I can mod it into a K mount) as an addition to my lens armory.
08-19-2016, 02:36 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The slightly older CP-5 uses AAA battereis (it was also sold as the Sears KSX-P)
I see a listing of Sears KSX-P with a Sears 50mm f1.7 lens, however I don't know any details of this lens.