Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
08-19-2016, 03:34 AM   #31
Forum Member

My two cents being a relative newcomer to the world of K mount but an experienced film photographer, stick with mechanical bodies like the KX, KM, K1000 and MX (depending on what your budget is) and more repair techs will be willing to CLA them. I had a recent experience with an Olympus OM-2n that had meter issues and the only guy who would touch that camera was John Hermansonn of Zuiko.com, I love those cameras so I sent it off to him dealt with the currency exchange and had a five month wait. That's the challenge with 35mm SLRs with lots of electronics (ME Super, LX) great cameras until something goes sideways, yeah, stick with the mechanical SLRS, underneath all the improvements they are Spotmatics at heart.

08-19-2016, 08:39 AM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
I currently use a Sony MILC for my K-mount lenses (native K-mount and M42 with aftermarket adapter) with stop-down metering and Av mode for almost all my shootings, and I don't find stop-down a problem...
To each his own, I guess. Automatic aperture actuation (auto-aperture) has nothing to do with metering and was a huge innovation when it first became available.* With an auto-aperture lens in place there is no need to manually stop the lens down to expose after focusing wide open. It is this feature that allows SLRs to be used for any type of photography where focus adjustment is frequent and timing is crucial. When a lens is adapted, this feature is generally lost. I use my M42 lenses on my K-3, but almost never on my K-mount film bodies; they are too cumbersome when I have perfectly functional M42 bodies at hand.

Steve

* In the 1960s into the early 1970s, the feature was called out for marketing purposes. That is why so many M42 lenses are labeled "Auto". Alternatives had manual or preset apertures, both of which types persisted until fairly recently (e.g. former Soviet Jupiter-9 and Helios 44-3).
08-19-2016, 08:42 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I use my M42 lenses on my K-3, but almost never on my K-mount film bodies; they are too cumbersome when I have perfectly functional M42 bodies at hand.
I don't plan to focus on M42 lenses, I just happened to want a CZJ Tessar so I choose to adapt it onto a K-mount film body (as well as my Sony MILC).
08-19-2016, 08:45 AM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I see a listing of Sears KSX-P with a Sears 50mm f1.7 lens, however I don't know any details of this lens.

The camera is a rebranded Chinon CP-5 and the lens is probably the same as the Chinon 50/1.7 or the same vintage and would have been made by Chinon.

Steve

08-19-2016, 08:48 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The camera is a rebranded Chinon CP-5 and the lens is probably the same as the Chinon 50/1.7 or the same vintage and would have been made by Chinon.

Steve
The list was ending soon so I had it shipped to a someone I can trust in the U.S. and I will get my hands on it once I get back to my school. I also got a Tokina 28mm f2.8 from another listing. However the Tokina seems to have a Ricoh pin so I am not sure how the P mode on that camera will turn out. Will update this later, thank you all.
08-19-2016, 08:50 AM   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I also got a Tokina 28mm f2.8 from another listing. However the Tokina seems to have a Ricoh pin so I am not sure how the P mode on that camera will turn out.
Should be no problem. As I understand the Chinon system, you will set the aperture ring to its smallest setting for P and Tv modes. You can get the camera manual at the link below (donations appreciated):

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/ricoh/ksx-p/ksx-p-splash.htm

Steve
08-19-2016, 08:54 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Should be no problem. As I understand the Chinon system, you will set the aperture ring to its smallest setting for P and Tv modes. You can get the camera manual at the link below (donations appreciated):

Sears KSX-P 35mm camera manual

Steve
Though I don't use P and Tv modes very often, thanks.

P.S. for my M42 Super-Tak I guess only Av mode will be available?

08-19-2016, 08:55 AM   #38
Pentaxian

I currently use a Sony MILC for my K-mount lenses (native K-mount and M42 with aftermarket adapter) with stop-down metering and Av mode for almost all my shootings, and I don't find stop-down a problem
IIRC your MILC's EVF is maintaining the light level for you by boosting the gain when you stop the lens down to meter; little wonder you're not finding it a problem as you have the best of both worlds, except that your EVF is a battery hog.
08-19-2016, 08:58 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
IIRC your MILC's EVF is maintaining the light level for you by boosting the gain when you stop the lens down to meter; little wonder you're not finding it a problem as you have the best of both worlds, except that your EVF is a battery hog.
At least for my Super-Tak I have a manual-auto switch so it is basically a flip of switch to stop down for metering. Not too bad.

And for trainshooting, which I do a lot, I almost always prefocus and just press the shutter when a train comes, so still not too bad.
08-19-2016, 11:14 AM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

P.S. for my M42 Super-Tak I guess only Av mode will be available?
M mode should work as well. The M42 adapter communicates* that the lens is wide open regardless of the actual aperture. No green button needed.

Steve

* Mechanical linkage to the so-called aperture simulator in the body
08-19-2016, 12:59 PM   #41
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
My newest M42 is a Chinon SLR, yes SLR is the model, from 1978 and it's seals are still good.

---------- Post added 08-19-16 at 01:04 PM ----------

I see a listing of Sears KSX-P with a Sears 50mm f1.7 lens, however I don't know any details of this lens.
Only thing to watch for is corroded battery contacts in the grip/ battery holder. But because it is removable you can soak it in vinegar to clean it up. I may have a spare CP-7m in a drawer,. If so I will be happy to give to you for postage.
08-19-2016, 01:51 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Several manufacturers adopted the K-mount, but in my experience Pentax cameras are the highest quality, especially the K-series.
They are the simplest, best designed and most reliable models. I recommend them in the following order of preference overall:

1. Pentax KX
2. Pentax KM
3. Pentax K1000
4. Pentax K2

Chris
08-19-2016, 06:33 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kneemeister Quote
My newest M42 is a Chinon SLR, yes SLR is the model, from 1978 and it's seals are still good.

---------- Post added 08-19-16 at 01:04 PM ----------

Only thing to watch for is corroded battery contacts in the grip/ battery holder. But because it is removable you can soak it in vinegar to clean it up. I may have a spare CP-7m in a drawer,. If so I will be happy to give to you for postage.
The seller claims that the camera has been inspected and is in very good condition. Anyways thank you and if things do go wrong I might just shoot you a PM?
08-20-2016, 02:26 AM   #44
Pentaxian

An M42 from 1978???!!! Among the Japanese camera brands, this must surely have been the mount's last gasp!

(I'm not knocking it - I quite like my M42 cameras, and the Spotty F and the other open-metering variants are every bit as good as their K-mount successors. Apart from the convenience of the lens changes and a broader range of lenses, the K cameras offer nothing IMO over the last of the M42s.)
08-20-2016, 05:52 AM   #45
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
The Chinon SLR was a real throw back, manily built to be sold as a store branded camera by the likes of K-mart, infact the Chinon label is just a tin tab glued to the front of the prism box, easly replaced in production to one that says Focal for K-mart Mine has long ago fallen off.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Nexus 6P  Photo