Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2016, 03:27 AM   #91
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When I picked a camera for army deployment in 1969 size and ruggedness were my criteria. I left my SLRs at home and and found a Leica IIIf from about 1952 and a tiny Leica 35mm lens. This was about the smallest and most solid 35mm camera around. All mechanical, not even a light meter, fit easily in a uniform pocket. I used nylon parachute cord for a strap, as it took up no space when packed. While it seemed limiting to go with a single lens, and an old knob-wind camera, it was a joy to use, and trained me to look for the best picture for the lens I had, rather than carrying and changing lenses while I missed shots. The Leica III models were used by many soldiers through WW2, including Gen Patton.

02-20-2017, 06:31 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Any camera with a battery will have electrical components that may fail.

Any camera that requires a battery will be dependent on its electrical components.

Cool! All three have their strong points and are fun.

The K 55/2 is the better of the two optically (much better), though the A 50/2 is easier to use on your Super Program and Pentax dSLRs.

Edit: The K 55/2 is not particularly rare nor does it have any cult standing. It is optically identical to the K 55/1.8 and differs only in the maximum aperture for the iris mechanism. When new it was slightly cheaper than the 1/3 stop slower f/1.8 version. Both are based on the long-lived and excellent M42 55/1.8 Asahi Takumar variants dating back to the late 1950s.

Steve
I let away both bodies, for a ME Super from KEH at 39 bucks (1/2000 shutter, yeah!). However I kept my K55/2. I also have a FA43 and a FA35. How do these FA lenses perform on ME Super?

And also trying to find a M42 SLR that doesn't require mercury cells...
02-25-2017, 05:33 AM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
I let away both bodies, for a ME Super from KEH at 39 bucks (1/2000 shutter, yeah!). However I kept my K55/2. I also have a FA43 and a FA35. How do these FA lenses perform on ME Super?

And also trying to find a M42 SLR that doesn't require mercury cells...
Any SP...

Most of the mechanical Pentax are within 1/3 stop with Silver cells some may need plumbers O ring as well. Hearing aid batteries are ok for 3-4 months in U.K. but can weep but does not seem to be corrosive. Hearing aid cells available on Sunday.

The early ones use a near balance bridge later K1000 have differential Galvo.