Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2016, 07:11 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Takumars on K mount film bodies?

Hi all, I'm wondering if someone can spell out the functionality of M42 Takumars on manual K mount bodies (specifically MX and LX), particularly with regard to metering?

I have an adapter (well, it's in the post) and I was wondering how the whole thing works. Mostly, do I need to be looking for Taks which had the aperture lever? The two lens I'm looking at currently are the Super-Multi-Coated (aperture lever) and Super-Takumar (no aperture lever) versions of the 105/f2.8.

Any tips would be appreciated

Cheers, Nick

08-20-2016, 07:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm lazy, I shoot in M position. If I am stopping down f8 or smaller apertures I focus in A, stop it down by switching to M, then adjust exposure accordingly.
08-20-2016, 07:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
I'm lazy, I shoot in M position. If I am stopping down f8 or smaller apertures I focus in A, stop it down by switching to M, then adjust exposure accordingly.
What are you shooting on?

As mentioned in the OP, I use an MX (fully manual) and LX (manual or aperture priority).
08-20-2016, 07:28 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K1000 and an ME super for the ultimate laziness (I love it for street)

Rikonon 28mm f2.8 K1000 Ektar 100
https://flic.kr/p/zMPBUc

Super Tak 50mm f1.4 ME Super Can't recall film but it's in the tags
https://flic.kr/p/js2wg2

Last edited by mattt; 08-20-2016 at 07:36 PM.
08-20-2016, 07:43 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Gorgeous shot! I need to spend more time with Ektar...

So back to the OP, how does metering actually work? Should I be looking for Taks with the aperture lever?

---------- Post added 08-21-2016 at 12:43 PM ----------

Gorgeous shot! I need to spend more time with Ektar...

So back to the OP, how does metering actually work? Should I be looking for Taks with the aperture lever?
08-20-2016, 07:46 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Meter in M

focus in A if your vf is too dim for split prism / micro prism to do its think.

Process

A - focus
M - meter
Shoot!
08-20-2016, 07:58 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Gotcha, thanks.

Is that necessary for later Taks capable of open aperture metering?

08-20-2016, 08:55 PM   #8

There is no mechanism to stop down the auto or open aperture screw mount lenses on K-mount bodies (film and digital) so you have to close them down manually in order to meter and take the exposure.
08-20-2016, 08:59 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Hi all, I'm wondering if someone can spell out the functionality of M42 Takumars on manual K mount bodies (specifically MX and LX), particularly with regard to metering?
The user manuals for both your MX and LX include a brief overview on adapted M42 lenses. The basic points go like this:
  • The adapter sets the aperture emulator on the body to the "wide open" position. As such the body will apply the meter reading with no bias. The happy surprise? No green button.
  • You may work in either Av or M modes. Metering will always be stop-down.
  • Unless you are shooting wide open, the lens must be stopped down (use A/M switch or similar*) to meter and to make an exposure
  • The lens must have an A/M switch (or similar) or native manual aperture
  • I believe that TTL flash on your LX will work with flashes that support the analog TTL protocol for the LX and Super Program

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Is that necessary for later Taks capable of open aperture metering?
There is no coupling between the lens and body, therefore all metering is done stop-down regardless of what the lens may support.

Steve

* M42 lenses with preset apertures are not uncommon. With those lenses, use the pre-set stop-down ring/switch in the same manner as the A/M switch.

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-20-2016 at 09:31 PM.
08-20-2016, 10:44 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Meter in M

focus in A if your vf is too dim for split prism / micro prism to do its think.

Process

A - focus
M - meter
Shoot!
...and for additional shots in the same light:
A - focus
M - shoot
Repeat until either light or subject changes

Steve
08-21-2016, 12:21 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Super Takumar lenses have the A/M lever. Maybe your lens is just a Takumar which is a pre-set lens that you manually close down with one of the two rings near the front of the lens. The front ring is where you set the lens opening you want to use. You rotate the rear ring to open and close the aperture. The rear ring stops at the aperture that you "pre-set" when you close the lens down. I have the Takumar 105 and I like it.
08-21-2016, 11:48 AM   #12
Veteran Member

focus, stop down, shoot! Used a super tak 50 on a ME, ME-F and K1000 (and K7). Works great.

https://flic.kr/p/ixBpxo
On the ME-F (in Av mode), Tri-X pushed to 800, shot pretty close to wide open (maybe f2?)