Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2016, 04:58 PM   #46
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...or one where there is more product available used. That being said there are currently three ZK Distagon 35/2 on eBay in NEW (two @ $728 USD B-I-N) or EX+ ($887 USD or best offer) condition shipped from Japan. Those are both very competitive prices.

Steve
Back in 2012 all my gear was stolen including a Zeiss Makro Planar 2/100. Thankfully I was able to replace it and went on to collect six Zeiss ZK in total. I did this because I like them and enjoy shooting manual focus with the Zeiss, particularly once I installed an S type screen in my K5. Each to their own of course, as you've pointed out.

I just wanted to raise a point about ZK availability as I've been receiving a daily email from ebay on ZK since 2012, um, because I forgot to turn it off.

Well, I just clicked on a 'view all results' button in the ebay email and the followign Zeiss ZK lenses are available:

11 x Distagon T* 2/35 (Note-2 of the listings show a box only, so maybe there's only 9?)
2 x Distagon T* 2/28 (Note-images shown are not ZK, one is a ZE and the other a ZF)
2 x Distagon T* 2.8/25
1 x Planar T* 1.4/85
1 x Planar T* 1.4/50

In addition to the above there is also the ZS mount which is M42. These tend to be as rare as the ZK so you need to be a regular checker if you are keen. The ZK search will also pop up some Leica (ZM) mount along with some Zorki's and Jupiters.

The only other ZK lenses I've seen in these listings in four years are the 3.5/18 and the 2/50, though memory is probably making me wrong there. The last time I saw the 2/100 and 2.8/21 is back in 2012. Indeed, the Pentax Forums is likely to pop up the rarer ZK models more than ebay judging by some of the recent listings.

Anyhoo, I'm not disagreeing with you but wanted to point out that globally there are more ZK out there on the bay and the above listing is fairly representative of what is regularly available except for the 2/35; I've not seen this many in a while.

Righto, the sun is shining and the K-1, Zeiss 2/50 and DA 70LTD are ready in a bag to go for a ride on the Kwaka. Hooroo!

Tas

09-03-2016, 05:12 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nicholas411 Quote
i just took a look at some photos a took 2 years ago using fuji 400h ..... the colours are amazing......so i'm going to try this film again rather than upgrade just yet....i'm also now interested in this pentax 35mm lens people are saying is awesome
Fuji 400h is very interesting, its like a cooler version of portra (which tends to be warmer). I've shot with it before but found it to be unpredictable when developing at home. I'm sure you won't have any issues with it sending it off to a lab. Good luck. I have the M version of the 35/2, I still haven't had a chance to get out and use it. I figure it will be good for street photography.
09-03-2016, 07:01 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I would suggest that scanning and post work will have a considerable influence on your results - much more so than any glass, specially when you are using color negatives. You should try some slide film like Provia 100 so you can see just how good the colors are with your lenses.

Here is one example of the difference in scanning using a minilab Noritsu and my own Coolscan with the same frame of film that you wouldn't think so given the huge difference.

Last edited by LesDMess; 09-03-2016 at 07:08 PM.
09-03-2016, 07:19 PM   #49
nicholas411

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I would suggest that scanning and post work will have a considerable influence on your results - much more so than any glass, specially when you are using color negatives. You should try some slide film like Provia 100 so you can see just how good the colors are with your lenses.

Here is one example of the difference in scanning using a minilab Noritsu and my own Coolscan with the same frame of film that you wouldn't think so given the huge difference.
that isa some serious difference......its a bit sad really

---------- Post added 09-03-16 at 07:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Back in 2012 all my gear was stolen including a Zeiss Makro Planar 2/100. Thankfully I was able to replace it and went on to collect six Zeiss ZK in total. I did this because I like them and enjoy shooting manual focus with the Zeiss, particularly once I installed an S type screen in my K5. Each to their own of course, as you've pointed out.

I just wanted to raise a point about ZK availability as I've been receiving a daily email from ebay on ZK since 2012, um, because I forgot to turn it off.

Well, I just clicked on a 'view all results' button in the ebay email and the followign Zeiss ZK lenses are available:

11 x Distagon T* 2/35 (Note-2 of the listings show a box only, so maybe there's only 9?)
2 x Distagon T* 2/28 (Note-images shown are not ZK, one is a ZE and the other a ZF)
2 x Distagon T* 2.8/25
1 x Planar T* 1.4/85
1 x Planar T* 1.4/50

In addition to the above there is also the ZS mount which is M42. These tend to be as rare as the ZK so you need to be a regular checker if you are keen. The ZK search will also pop up some Leica (ZM) mount along with some Zorki's and Jupiters.

The only other ZK lenses I've seen in these listings in four years are the 3.5/18 and the 2/50, though memory is probably making me wrong there. The last time I saw the 2/100 and 2.8/21 is back in 2012. Indeed, the Pentax Forums is likely to pop up the rarer ZK models more than ebay judging by some of the recent listings.

Anyhoo, I'm not disagreeing with you but wanted to point out that globally there are more ZK out there on the bay and the above listing is fairly representative of what is regularly available except for the 2/35; I've not seen this many in a while.

Righto, the sun is shining and the K-1, Zeiss 2/50 and DA 70LTD are ready in a bag to go for a ride on the Kwaka. Hooroo!

Tas
im interested in this one.

Carl Zeiss Planar T 50mm F 1 4 ZK Lens for Pentax Mount Excelent | eBay

09-03-2016, 07:29 PM - 1 Like   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
that isa some serious difference......its a bit sad really
Not really because now that you are aware, you can do something about it. This potentially saves you money you didn't need to spend . . .

Consider that there are no standards in scanning color negatives and color results are really highly subjective based on the user's own sensibilities.

Last edited by LesDMess; 09-03-2016 at 07:44 PM.
09-03-2016, 07:55 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Not really because now that you are aware, you can do something about it. This potentially saves you money you didn't need to spend . . .

Consider that there are no standards in scanning color negatives and color results are really highly subjective based on the user's own sensibilities.
That huge difference is the reason I bought my own scanner several years ago. I had a batch of 120 Provia 100 scans done at the same time I had some developing done. The results were terrible. The film was a bit beyond its due date so I chalked it up to film gone bad.

While at work one day shortly after I had an opportunity to use a scanner with a photo scan capability. I just happened to have one of those strips of slides with me so I scanned a couple.

Holy cow!!! I couldn't believe it. Without doing any adjustment the results were way, way better than I had received from the lab.

I bought an Epson V500 (which I still have) that same day. Certainly not the top scanner in the world, but definitely not bad either. I scan all my own negatives now.
09-04-2016, 01:30 AM   #52
nicholas411

yeh i understand .....i've got my eyes on the pakon scanner. it seems to do a seriously good job

09-04-2016, 02:29 AM   #53

the only places i take negatives for scanning are the ones that still use nikon coolscans, the typical 1 hour labs tend to always blow out highlight detail as demonstrated by your image.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
I bought an Epson V500 (which I still have) that same day. Certainly not the top scanner in the world, but definitely not bad either. I scan all my own negatives now.
I have the v550, in my opinion the V series epson's may not be the best scanners, but are the best buy consumer scanners when it comes to medium format scanning

i've got my eyes on the pakon scanner. it seems to do a seriously good job
the pakon's are excellent for scanning older negatives, some films were never designed for scanning and can be a nightmare to work with on other scanners
09-04-2016, 01:45 PM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratcheteer Quote
...I have the v550, in my opinion the V series epson's may not be the best scanners, but are the best buy consumer scanners when it comes to medium format scanning...
I can certainly agree on that. Mine is used almost exclusively for medium format right now although I am trying some work arounds in order to scan 4x5 as well. The only time I scan 35mm film on it is if the film is so curly I literally have to hog tie it down to a piece of anti-newton glass with tape.

All my 35mm goes through my old Plustek 7600i that I picked up used. Another terrific consumer scanner for 35mm. It is a bit slow but does a good job.
09-05-2016, 01:28 AM   #55
Veteran Member

thanks...i'm trying out 10 rolls of pro image 100...see how that goes.

---------- Post added 09-01-16 at 01:50 AM ----------

ok thanks for the insight

---------- Post added 09-01-16 at 01:51 AM ----------

thanks...yeh...good idea. i will try some different film
Try 1/2 and a stop more exposure see if you like difference.