Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-04-2021, 09:05 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks much, Allen!

05-05-2021, 02:03 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Did anyone try to repair the sticky mirror and lubricate the gears?
I have an LX in beautiful condition but the mirror is sticky
05-05-2021, 02:46 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I researched the topic at some length, but eventually decided to have my local professional camera repair shop handle it. They did a good job, so ultimately it was worth it.
05-05-2021, 09:47 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
I researched the topic at some length, but eventually decided to have my local professional camera repair shop handle it. They did a good job, so ultimately it was worth it.

How much did it cost you, if you don’t mind the question?
I’m itching to get one, just wondering what it may cost to have it serviced.

05-05-2021, 10:35 AM   #20
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks much, Allen!

may I suggest for those looking for information on the LX, this thread might prove to be helpful

QuoteQuote:
Sources for information about the LX, please add your knowledge to this thread
I recently acquired an LX from a forum member and I sought information and answers about the LX and here is what I have found -
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/419204-sour...ml#post5190436

if any one can add more information on the LX please add to that thread
05-05-2021, 12:33 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
may I suggest for those looking for information on the LX, this thread might prove to be helpful

Sources for information about the LX, please add your knowledge to this thread - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com

if any one can add more information on the LX please add to that thread
You may consider requesting that thread be stickied and appending the first post with info links that are pertinent/useful enough to be up top. But at the same time you'd need to take long-term ownership of that OP.... These sorts of threads can be remarkably useful but also have a tendency to drift out of date as time goes by and the links therein become defunct. (I know you know all of this.)
05-07-2021, 09:52 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoaki Quote
How much did it cost you, if you don’t mind the question?
I’m itching to get one, just wondering what it may cost to have it serviced.
My local professional repair facility charged me $80 for the service.

05-08-2021, 08:10 AM   #23

My local professional repair facility charged me $80 for the service.

Thanks for responding.
That seems very reasonable.

05-09-2021, 07:47 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Professional Camera Repair - Houston, Texas, Sensor Cleaning, Digital Camera Repair, Film Camera Repair, Medium and Large Format Camera Repairs

Most all the local pros bring their gear to these guys for servicing. They do mail order.
05-09-2021, 09:07 PM   #25

Great, good to know. I don’t know of a local repair guy in my area.
Thanks again!

Problem specific to the LX, as I understand, is that repairs can easily run north of $200. On eBay, descriptions are usually “mint”, “like new”, etc., no way to know unless you trust the seller. I’ve had mixed results.

05-10-2021, 12:03 AM   #26
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . Problem specific to the LX, as I understand, is that repairs can easily run north of $200. . . . .
that is if you can even find the parts necessary to make the repairs
05-10-2021, 07:02 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Problem specific to the LX, as I understand, is that repairs can easily run north of $200. On eBay, descriptions are usually “mint”, “like new”, etc., no way to know unless you trust the seller. I’ve had mixed results.
Yep. I picked mine up from an auction at Goodwill's auction site. Got it for a great price, but it wasn't without its issues. It had the sticky mirror syndrome, plus the focus was way off. The lens would read like 30 feet when subject was 10 feet away. Those guys I mentioned above fixed both problems for $80. Maybe I was just lucky? I dunno, but I'm pretty sure the two items were related (If the mirror doesn't come to rest at the right spot, the focusing will be off). I've had them do other repairs for me and they fixed the problems for reasonable sums.
11-09-2021, 03:34 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
They did a CLA and adjusted the view screen for proper position and thus proper focus on my Bronica S2a. Not a simple camera to work on! Excellent work. I'll check with them for my 3 LXs. I wonder if they give a volume discount.....
12-07-2021, 02:36 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Anyone have issues with a lot of tension on the rewind on the LX. I can get it to rewind but it has so much force that it spins around when I let go. I've tried to keep the rewind button pressed while rewinding but that does not help.