Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
09-25-2016, 09:44 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
That's the reason I never wanted to visit Kansas.

Chris
I have only been to Paris and New York City in the winter when everything is pretty much gray scale. Itʻs hard for me to imagine those places in color. Now I live in Hawaii where everything is color year-round and I love to shoot here in B&W.

09-25-2016, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
ctrout,

Welcome Aboard!! I hope the good natured ribbing does not offend you. The old film cameras were not just for black and white film. Either one can be used without any concern. It is all about exposure. I shot a lot of color slide film with my Spotmatic II. Wonderful camera. Where you have to be more careful with color film is exposure. Color negative films are more picky than black and white film, and color reversal (slide) film is very picky so exposure has to be almost right on for good results.

Mastering black and white film is harder than master color film. With color film you make your exposure and thn the film as per the instructions. Very little variation allowed to keep you process in control. With black and white film, you can push or pull both exposure and developing. You can pick different developers or even vary temperature to control contrast and how deep you want Dmax to be. Then there is B&W print paper. There are various contrasts and tones available. Some paper has a warmer tone and others cooler. Some paper is multi contrast so the paper contrast varies depending upon the filter pack you place over the enlarger lens. Watching a person who has mastered B&W photography in action is a thing to behold. It is the reason that I hope B&W conventional photography stays around for a long long time.
09-25-2016, 10:14 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That's really the reason I started the thread, to generate some comedic discussion. I don't know if you saw the final line of my post, all the way at the bottom. Anyway, no, I'm not offended. All in good fun, just as I intended.
09-25-2016, 10:37 AM   #19
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
That's really the reason I started the thread, to generate some comedic discussion.
It's a fun thread Of course, there's a chance that someone, somewhere, is taking some or all of this seriously...

09-25-2016, 12:10 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
That's really the reason I started the thread, to generate some comedic discussion. I don't know if you saw the final line of my post, all the way at the bottom. Anyway, no, I'm not offended. All in good fun, just as I intended.

Ooooooops!!!!! Missed that. But I would still like to have a killer B&W darkroom and a 4x5 field camera to go with my sadly neglected Bronica ETRSi.
09-25-2016, 04:19 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I definitely enjoy a good black comedy.
09-25-2016, 05:46 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I dreamed in black-and-white, possibly because my family didn't have a color TV until I was halfway through college. My dad tinkered with electronics, and people would give him old TVs. He was really much better at repairing the classic five-tube AM radio, but he could replace a bad tube in a TV and make some other simple repairs. Often our home TV was one of these junkers he had fixed up. When I was in about 5th grade there was a time when we "watched" two black-and-white sets. The one with a watchable picture, but distorted sound, was stacked on top of the one with good sound and no picture at all. You turned on both, and then just had to keep them tuned to the same channel, of course!

09-25-2016, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pleasantville...

Steve
09-25-2016, 06:47 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh yes, TV in the '60s. My brother and I were so disappointed by '65 or '66. We heard all about all the new color TV programs coming out but it was a lie. Night after night we anxiously awaited but, they always looked like the same B&W on our set.
09-25-2016, 08:21 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I remember a 13" B/W tv I had when I was a kid. Crazy as it sounds, I strung a wire to a window screen (they were made of metal wire mesh back then) to try to improve reception. This was back in the late 70s when HBO first came out and my dad was one of the first subscribers in our town. I was able to dial in a distorted picture of something that a kid would never see on regular tv. Oh how I wished that tv was in color!
09-29-2016, 09:06 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I definitely enjoy a good black comedy.
Film noir?

Phil.