Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-27-2016, 08:35 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nicholas411 Quote
thanks for the info, is it possible to see that test larger?
Click the links under each image for the full res versions which are 8255 X 1700 pixel jpeg for the test shots and 5551 X 3676 pixel jpeg file for the Fuji Velvia.

09-28-2016, 02:33 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nicholas411 Quote
the KM body has a dof preview?
Yes, that's why I recommended it.

The Pentax KM is nearly identical to your K1000 but with the
additional features of depth-of-field preview and self-timer.

The KX is very nice too; in fact it's my favorite Pentax body.

Chris
09-29-2016, 12:30 AM   #18
nicholas411

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Yes, that's why I recommended it.

The Pentax KM is nearly identical to your K1000 but with the
additional features of depth-of-field preview and self-timer.

The KX is very nice too; in fact it's my favorite Pentax body.

Chris
ok, sounds good. yeh i like the k1000 because it is just minimal. Thanks for the info.
09-29-2016, 08:10 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
One of our geniuses falconry, who frequents the forum on occasion once went through a lengthy explanation as to why the sharpest lenses peak at ƒ4 or faster, not ƒ5.6. So if it peaks at ƒ4, you can bet, it's really sharp.
It should be noted that a lens can be very sharp with respect to the point (or plane) where it is focused, but the overall image still might not look sharp because more depth of field would be needed to provide that. I have a close focusing lens (not macro), a long zoom too slow for this discussion, which has a reputation for being soft wide open. However in my own tests, I find it just as sharp wide open as stopped down two or three stops. But wide open it is only sharp right where it is focused, and for a lot of close-up subjects it needs to be stopped down at least one stop for a bit more depth of field.

Anyway, I offer this a food for thought. It is possible to confuse sharpness with DOF, if we don't remind ourselves to distinguish between them.

09-29-2016, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
The best argument for the Pentax M 50mm f4 macro is price and the fact that it will outresolve any film or sensor you can put behind it.

BTW, I also tested my Pentax M 100mm f4 and it is equally a great performer as my 50mm.
Would be interesting to see how the older K50/4 & K100/4 compare to the "M"Series versions, as they are supposed to have the same optical deign.

Thanks for posting the tests.

Phil.
09-29-2016, 05:25 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Would be interesting to see how the older K50/4 & K100/4 compare to the "M"Series versions, as they are supposed to have the same optical deign.

Thanks for posting the tests.

Phil.
You're welcome!
Unfortunately my only "K" lens is the 50mm f1.2 which I have tested along with all the other Pentax primes that I have.