Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2016, 08:50 AM   #1

Hello from Connecticut - Need help with my Pentax

Hi everyone , great to meet you all.
I need some help and information on a 35MM K1000 camera i found in a house we just moved in. The camera is in mint condition except for one thing , the battery in the Vivitar flash battery leaked and the battery cover is not coming off but i'm sure i can get it off if i fiddle with it a little. The camera has the self timer , flash filters , manuals , case and a 35-200MM lens.
So was this a good find? Whats the camera worth? Are there a market for K1000? I tried loading pictures but the site would not let me.
Thank you guys for taking the time to read my post.

10-18-2016, 03:40 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi - welcome to the forums. I have moved your post to the Pentax Film SLR Discussion forum, as "Welcomes & Introductions" is purely for that purpose.

I'm sure you'll get responses from some of our film shooters
10-18-2016, 03:44 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you BigMackCam. I tried posting elsewhere the first time but it would not let me.
10-18-2016, 05:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffrae Quote
Hi everyone , great to meet you all.
I need some help and information on a 35MM K1000 camera i found in a house we just moved in. The camera is in mint condition except for one thing , the battery in the Vivitar flash battery leaked and the battery cover is not coming off but i'm sure i can get it off if i fiddle with it a little. The camera has the self timer , flash filters , manuals , case and a 35-200MM lens.
So was this a good find? Whats the camera worth? Are there a market for K1000? I tried loading pictures but the site would not let me.
Thank you guys for taking the time to read my post.
Certainly there is a market for K1000 that are in good working condition. How much really depends on the state of the camera, whether it's been serviced etc etc., but generally K1000s hold their value quite well due simply to their popularity as a student camera. Many people learned with a K1000 so there is a nostalgia and simplicity factor to their value. Just a ballpark would be anywhere from from $40 to $130 depending on condition - that's just my guess from memory. Have a look on Ebay for recent "Sold Items" to get a better idea.

All that being said, the K1000 does not have a self-timer, so that's a bit confusing.

Re: the flash - those are dime a dozen in most cases, but depending on the model might be worth cleaning up.

In any case - just do some Google searches, or search through this site. There is plenty of info out there there to be found if you try.

10-18-2016, 06:49 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you Chickentender for the great information. For some reason i can not post pictures on this website but if i could i would post a pic of the self timer so you could see it and get a better idea. It was in the case with the camera and it says "self timer" on the back and "made in japan". The timer can be placed in a perfect size hole on top of the camera. I don't know , it could have been to another camera i have no idea. I don't know anything about these cameras that is why i'm here. Thank you so much for your time and any amount of input will be greatly appreciated.
10-19-2016, 12:15 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Lots of good info given, I'll just say welcome to the forum.
10-19-2016, 12:00 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think he is describing an external self timer accessory, not one built into the camera. I have a few of these old self timers for various early 1950 cameras. They are spring wound, screw into the cable release socket.

10-19-2016, 05:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes - I see that now. I have a couple of those as well.

---------- Post added 10-19-16 at 05:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffrae Quote
Thank you Chickentender for the great information. For some reason i can not post pictures on this website but if i could i would post a pic of the self timer so you could see it and get a better idea. It was in the case with the camera and it says "self timer" on the back and "made in japan". The timer can be placed in a perfect size hole on top of the camera. I don't know , it could have been to another camera i have no idea. I don't know anything about these cameras that is why i'm here. Thank you so much for your time and any amount of input will be greatly appreciated.
Check out the reviews section here on the Pentax forums for plenty of opinions on the camera.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/camerareviews/pentax-manual-focus-film-slrs-c12.html

I'd also suggest doing a quick search on Youtube for "Pentax K1000" - you'll get a ton of videos to choose from for info.