Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-22-2016, 02:32 AM   #1

K1000 restoration video

Check out Watching This Old Pentax Camera Restoration Is Pure Gadget Zen

The insides of a 70s Pentax K-1000 gets an hours-long upgrade edited down to just two and half minutes.

The feeling I get watching the clean out and tweaking of this classic is respect.

The background music (by Grieg?) not so much...

10-22-2016, 07:13 AM   #2
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice teaser - when is the feature film released?

Yeah, Grieg, and no, not the best choice as accompanying music, I think.

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
It actually leaves out several of the steps (lubing, desolder/solder, speed/meter adjustments, seals etc.)
Those are the steps I'd be most interested in seeing. Not that I will ever undertake anything like this, but I find it interesting nonetheless.
10-22-2016, 07:34 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by johnhilvert Quote
KX-1000 restoration video
It's K1000....lose the "X!"

-longtime K1000 user, and before that, Spotmatic!
10-28-2016, 07:24 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
I wonder what kind of polish they use for the body? Anyone knows. I have 3 bodies that I want to make them shine again.

10-30-2016, 06:43 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
Thanks. I haven't touched Armor All for years. Wouldn't AA make a leatherette slippery? Wonder what that black buff on 1:51 and afterwards in the video is?

Armor All for the leatherette. Metal parts can simply be removed and cleaned in soapy water or can be cleaned with armor all as well.

---------- Post added 10-30-2016 at 06:45 AM ----------

Googled around. Found this useful link
10-30-2016, 06:53 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Not that I will ever undertake anything like this, but I find it interesting nonetheless.

Nor would I, and I did camera repair professionally for awhile.
Instead I'm packing the old K1000 off to the expert tomorrow...

http://pentaxs.com

Chris
10-30-2016, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm serious too. I get the whole DIY ethic, but I'd rather leave even routine CLA to the professional.

Besides the service manuals, parts supply and purpose-built test equipment (not some smartphone app)
Eric has the irreplaceable experience of forty plus years repairing Pentax cameras.

By supporting him I'm doing my part to ensure that he will continue to be there in future - when you may need him.

Chris

10-30-2016, 11:49 PM   #8

It all looks familiar to me!

My first camera repair was on my early-production Pentax Spotmatic. It had jammed and the cause was a common one, the mirror charge lever dropping off its detent inside the bottom of the camera. I did it with an eyeglass repair kit for the screwdriver, and a pair of tweezers to put the lever back.

The design of the Spotmatic was later revised to make this much less likely, and that carried over to the KX, KM and K1000 which used the same shutter winding and mirror mechanisms.

I later did the same work on that Spotmatic that shows in the K1000 video, but WITH the soldering, meter calibration, shutter tensioning and timing, etc. Among SLRs the Spotmatic and its derivatives such as the K1000 are among the easiest to work on; the pre-Spotmatic Pentaxes are a bit easier. Things got more difficult with the MX because of its compactness and certain features (the rotating shutter speed indicator, for instance); easier again with the ME and its derivatives because the shutter timing became electronic and the Seiko shutter was very reliable and its timing was stable.

I opened up my LX, out of curiosity; but since I bought it right after it had been overhauled by Pentax in Colorado, have not needed to do any actual WORK on it. I did have to re-seal it afterwards!

Unfortunately, I've had two of the Pentax autofocus MZ/ZX models fail. The too-frequent failure is a failed gear in the built-in motor drive. Replacing it takes a LOT of disassembly and you have to source the gear to begin with. Pentax no longer stocks parts for those cameras.
10-31-2016, 02:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Metal parts can simply be removed and cleaned in soapy water or can be cleaned with armor all as well.
I came across this method for cleaning the chrome parts

I was amazed with the outcome. Turned a really nasty corroded top cover into a near new finish. Awesome.
11-22-2016, 04:24 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
I came across this method for cleaning the chrome parts

how to remove rust from chrome faster and easier than coca cola and aluminum foil - YouTube

I was amazed with the outcome. Turned a really nasty corroded top cover into a near new finish. Awesome.
I wounder if this is doable on the top cover of a camera. And the guy also said he was polishing the part for a couple of hours... Seems tedious?

But the result was nice!
11-22-2016, 04:30 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
I wounder if this is doable on the top cover of a camera. And the guy also said he was polishing the part for a couple of hours... Seems tedious?

But the result was nice!
It is :P

Of course you have to dismantle to do the job properly. I have done this and the result is very good.