Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2008, 10:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Fullfilled with Film

This past Saturday, when I went on my weekly picture hunt with my son and friend Rick, it was the first time, I left my digitals at home...It was me with my K1000 loaded with Tri-x, my ME Super with Kodak Hi def film. My son had his MG and I must say...What a rewarding time I had...While my friend was busy blasting away with his K100D, my son and I where busy composing with our film bodies...After a full day of shooting, I was 4 images shy of a full roll of 24, my son shot 36 and my friend Rick, shot a full 2 gigs worth of stuff....

Right now the film is being developed, can't wait to see what we both have...
In the meantime, my buddy is sorting through all those images and trying to decide what to keep and what to junk...It is funny to hear him complain about it...

How about you folks?
do u also find fulfillment in film?

07-29-2008, 10:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I went shooting today with my Super Program and P30t bodies and left digital at home. I've been leaving my digital home ever since I got my Super A, shooting film has been much more entertaining lately.
07-29-2008, 11:02 AM   #3
Banned

honestly the only thing my K110D gets used for on a regular basis anymore is macro work with my Auto Bellows M. My MX and a few rolls of Ilford are the first things I grab when heading out the door. I really do enjoy using film much more than digital. Its something that just cant be explained especially to those die hard digital fans, but folks like us just get it, whatever 'it' is.
07-29-2008, 11:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
honestly the only thing my K110D gets used for on a regular basis anymore is macro work with my Auto Bellows M. My MX and a few rolls of Ilford are the first things I grab when heading out the door. I really do enjoy using film much more than digital. Its something that just cant be explained especially to those die hard digital fans, but folks like us just get it, whatever 'it' is.
I agree. A couple of weeks back while shooting at the beach, I had a couple of guys who where also there with their point and shoots tell me that I need to get with the times and get me a nice casio or Nikon. I just laughed and told them, no thanks...I did not even feel the need to tell them, I have digital stuff at home...

07-29-2008, 11:41 AM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
I agree. A couple of weeks back while shooting at the beach, I had a couple of guys who where also there with their point and shoots tell me that I need to get with the times and get me a nice casio or Nikon. I just laughed and told them, no thanks...I did not even feel the need to tell them, I have digital stuff at home...

some people are only interested in whats 'new' and 'cool'. anything from 'older times' is just seen as well... crap to some people. those are typically the type of people who think that something is better or right for someone just because its the latest and 'greatest'. people don't get why I use a manual film SLR, people don't get why I listen to my music on vinyl... I just don't think some people can understand the difference between using something thats 'superior' and using something that brings a person enjoyment and fulfillment. they seem to mesh the two together as in the new and better has to be more enjoyable and right for the job because its newer and better! and those people wouldn't even stop to think that maybe just maybe we mesh the new and old.... like my digital music on my media player and my digital SLR... ugh I digress.
07-29-2008, 01:13 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I go through phases. This week it seems I'm tired of the whole SLR thing, and have just my Yashica T4 with me and probably will load up the Retina next. (Perhaps over saturation: I refoamed the KX, and tried out three new lenses, and lugged around one or another nearly every day for the past month.)

Actually, I do like digital also, there is a different sense to the image that I quite like. What I don't like is the damn camera is big and heavy, even compared to a KX or a Spotmatic.

Having shot Fuji PRO160S in medium format for a while, I bought three rolls for 35mm and will see how it works out. I love PRO400H.
07-29-2008, 04:05 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
It was me with my K1000 loaded with Tri-x
It is really easy, fast and inexpensive to process your own B&W film. If you have little room, you can setup a darkroom for less than $100. You should take a look at a B&W print made on a fiber base paper.

I am happy for you Jgredline. I can paint a pretty picture of you and your son spending quality time together. My little one broke two P&S. I think I will wait alittle before I give her another one.

07-29-2008, 04:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Indeed, I am fulfilled with film. Judging by the digital images I have seen over the years (taken by others), I would be very unfulfilled were I shooting digital. It is clear, Javier, that you have discovered the virtues of film. I see no reason why you should even think about shooting digital...take photographs--shoot film.

Regards,
Glen

Last edited by zx-m; 07-29-2008 at 04:53 PM. Reason: typo
07-29-2008, 06:03 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Last winter I went digital for my color shooting after 15 years of film. It's a zoom based kit for hiking/ camping. Since I also do black and white, I simplified my film kit down to a couple high quality primes. Granted, this year will be a fall camping year, but I've used the film kit more than the new fancy digital. I don't know if it's because it's a smaller simpler kit, primes vs zooms, or film vs digital, but I'm a little worried I spent money on a digital kit that I could have done without. We'll see what happens this fall.
Ryan
07-29-2008, 08:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Yesterday I went to see the indoor Garden Festival along w/ my SuperProgram and K20D. I mounted FA31 on the SuperProgram and DA21 on the K20D. Both pretty much have the same FOV. I shot w/ both setup on the same scenes. So far I'm pretty happy w/ what I got from the K20D. Will see how the film turned out tonight when I get the scanned results back. I like to use both digital and film, but I do think shooting film is alot fun for something still (landscapes/cityscapes and etc.). When shooting kids, I still prefer digital.
07-29-2008, 09:18 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Frank (and eveyone else)! I hope you are well...

Once I get my MZ-S + grip back, I'll be enjoying some Velvia film and landscape photography soon. Just in the store to allow the tech to try to fix a lens focusing issue that came up. That camera itself is fine!

I'll try using the K10D as a sample image taker to ensure the aperture, etc. was a good choice. Besides, the MZ-S is quartz date, and has analog EXIF data imprinting... I have a trip to Olympia National Park and the surrounding areas in October planned. I may hook up with Terry Malford and shoot some scenes in the Colombia River Gorge and Mt. Hood too... Also may get to test drive the FA* 250-600/5.6... however, funding is another issue altogether!!!

Regards,
Marc
07-29-2008, 09:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Hi Marc,

Thanks for asking. I'm kinda lazy on the other forum, but still regularly come here to this one To me film is just for fun, but I use digital a lot more, that's why I only keep a manual SuperProgram camera, even bought an A50/1.7 just for it

An FA*250-600/5.6? That's a nice beast, I'm sure you'd love it.

Cheers and happy shooting.
07-30-2008, 04:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member

My experience mirrors yours, Javier. When I go out on photo hunts on my days off, I will quite often take only film cameras and may or may not fill up a roll.

On such occasions, the photography is the excuse for the outing, and the outing is the excuse for the photography. In other words, it is as much about just enjoying being out and about as it is actively seeking to come back home with some good photos.
07-30-2008, 05:58 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
My experience mirrors yours, Javier. When I go out on photo hunts on my days off, I will quite often take only film cameras and may or may not fill up a roll.

On such occasions, the photography is the excuse for the outing, and the outing is the excuse for the photography. In other words, it is as much about just enjoying being out and about as it is actively seeking to come back home with some good photos.

Well said indeed!
07-30-2008, 06:08 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Can you guess which of Javier's photo hunt pictures appeal to me the most? The ones with his son in them, absorbed in taking photos. Probably because I can't get anybody in my family to accompany me. I'm a bit jealous.