Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2016, 03:06 AM   #1

Have Pentax P5 camera, want good macro lens

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi,
I have a Pentax P5 camera and would like to get a true macro lens for it. Something that is compatible with the P5, a good lens yet affordable. What would you recommend?
Thanks,
Bernadine

11-27-2016, 03:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have a look in the lens reviews forum and bear in mind that you will need one with an aperture ring. Also consider what you are taking pictures of; 50mm macro is the general use standard; 100mm is better for bugs and other things that creep, and which might not want you to be so close to them. The 35mm DA macro is technically compatible as the P5 has a program mode and it can work the aperture, BUT you will not be able to manually select apertures (you sort of can, by adjusting shutter speed, but the camera doesn't tell you what they are), and for macro you really need to know. Also, that one is not completely a full-frame lens and you may get some vignetting.
11-27-2016, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I like the SMC-A f2.8 macro. It has an A setting for exposure. I originally got it for my LX, but it is my favorite lens on my K-5.
11-27-2016, 12:32 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. TomB: is your K-5 similar to my P5? Thanks, Bernadine

11-27-2016, 01:21 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No, the K-5 was a recent digital, but works with older "A" lenses for auto exposure, while the LX was an older film model that could not automatically control the lens diaphragm. So these models bracket the P5 capabilities. Since the lens works with both, it should work fine with your P5.
11-27-2016, 04:22 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
No, the K-5 was a recent digital, but works with older "A" lenses for auto exposure, while the LX was an older film model that could not automatically control the lens diaphragm. So these models bracket the P5 capabilities. Since the lens works with both, it should work fine with your P5.
All of these letters are so confusing, and me a bit dyslexic. So, is the Pentax P 5 "KA" mount the same as the "A" lens? I have figured out the lens needs to have at least an aperture ring with an "A" or "AE" on it. I wish cameras and lenses used the same language and that I could at least read it.

Looking on ebay (just for ideas)
SMC Pentax-A Macro 50mm F2.8 MF Prime lens for Pentax K-MountExc SMC Pentax A 50mm f/2.8 f 2.8 macro PK Lens *5343401
Pentax Smc Pentax-A Macro 50mm F2.8

There are some big price differences, condition makes a difference and filters or cases would make a difference. Is there anything I should look for? I don't see the macro magnification on the pictures or descriptions. Are they all the same? One somewhere said 1:4 which isn't as much magnification as I want. And there is a 50mm and 100 mm, one better than the other for Macro?

Thanks,
Bernadine

Thanks,
Bernadine
11-28-2016, 03:35 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The SMC Pentax-A 50mm f/2.8 Macro lens can do 1:2 without a separate extension tube.
I bought one for my wife when she expressed an interest in macrophotography.
It's excellent for general photography as well, replacing your standard 50mm lens.
Expect to spend around $150 for this lens in good condition.

Chris

11-28-2016, 05:28 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bernadine Quote
So, is the Pentax P 5 "KA" mount the same as the "A" lens?
Yes.

The K-A mount your camera uses was designed to communicate electronically with the Pentax-A series lenses, enabling in-camera control of the lens when set to the A setting on the aperture ring, and explicit signalling of what the aperture actually was.

Previous K and M series lenses do not allow this degree of control, but Pentax manual-focus film bodies (such as yours, if I'm not wrong) that have aperture priority can still use it, with you turning the aperture ring manually and the camera selecting the shutter speed; it determines the metering from the mechanical linkage that was retained from earlier body designs. You can still use K and M series lenses if you can find a good macro cheap, but you will not have the same degree of control from within the camera as with the A series. Some say the K or M series optics are better.

50mm is good for general use; if you exclusively or overwhelmingly want to photograph insects and other tiny creatures that are shy or might sting you, 100mm is the way to go.