Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2016, 12:46 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd Print and Hang This - Your Best Film Shots

I enjoy seeing everyone's daily film adventures and comparisons in the "Cool" thread and have been posting in there for years. But I thought it would be nice to start a film image thread that was a bit more selective. Just the cream.

Share here your very favorite film images you've shot and as usual, please include the camera and film used etc. I think no more than 1024px or 1600px on the long end is plenty large enough. Also share some background or, if you wish, the story behind the image (if any). And please, just your upper crust here - images that you are proud of or excited by, ones that you feel you'd print and frame and give as a gift or price for a sale. I think it'd be really great to have a collection of this sort here, not necessarily just Pentax, but by Pentaxians. Doesn't matter if they were taken this week or decades ago, just as long as you think it's some of your best, for whatever reason. I'd say post as many as you like, but maybe just one or two at a time. Cheers! Let's see it.

EDIT/UPDATE: There's been grumbling about the use of the word "Best" in this thread title. Take "best" to mean anything you have felt an inner urge to print or otherwise display in a format that goes beyond a 5x7 everyday print or digital files online. In one way or another, it's an image that was taken to (or one you would like to take to) "the next level" as it were. Feel free to show those here and talk about them. Salud!

I'll kick it off with one that I've actually been meaning to print for months now but funds for personal work are quite low at the moment so it's been neglected. This was shot on the Washington Olympic coast on a Queets reservation portion of beach. My family has gone here for years and years - actually since before my dad born - so it's quite in the blood. I shot this on a beachwalk with the 67 along just this past summer, but it could have easily been taken decades before... things never change, even though the coastline always does.

Pentax 67 | 6x7 SMC 75/4.5 Tiffen CP | Lomography Color 100

Last edited by Eyewanders; 12-06-2016 at 12:06 AM.
12-02-2016, 01:46 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Thanks for the fine first shot!

I used to visit a u-develop shop back in the day.. I will look for a candidate for this thread. Your image has a cloud that brings this indifferent scan to mind. Pentax gear, M24-50/4 most likely, Wind River Range WY. I think I made an 11x14 of this. More incentive to digitize

wow, jps.net? That was a long time ago!
12-02-2016, 02:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Thanks for the fine first shot!

I used to visit a u-develop shop back in the day.. I will look for a candidate for this thread. Your image has a cloud that brings this indifferent scan to mind. Pentax gear, M24-50/4 most likely, Wind River Range WY. I think I made an 11x14 of this. More incentive to digitize

wow, jps.net? That was a long time ago!
Great photo - looks to me to be an area rife with film-worthy moments.
12-02-2016, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I printed several from that trip. I was there in '79 and '98.. so nineteen years apart. Next year I guess I'm going back!

12-02-2016, 05:31 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Cool idea for a thread.

I recently printed this 7"x16" as a gift for a friend.

Zenza Bronica ETRSi w 135W back
Zenzanon MC 150/4
Kodak Ektar 100
Epson V750-M Pro
12-02-2016, 07:20 PM - 6 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'll play. Out and about with a photo-friend. Christmas day, Los Angeles, 1984. Canon EF w/35-105. Tri-X. Unimproved scan. The framed version is sitting on the shelf in the bathroom :-)

Last edited by SpecialK; 12-03-2016 at 12:09 AM.
12-02-2016, 08:17 PM - 7 Likes   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Here are two of my favorites that have met some success; both are framed and hanging in my home.

The first was taken outside of the Kyeongbukkong Palace in Seoul, Korea. It was published in February of 2001 in the Korea Herald, an English language newspaper in South Korea. I used my Pentax MX with the 40mm f/2.8 "Pancake" lens on Kodak T400CN.

The next was taken on the steps of the Jefferson Memorial in Washington, DC looking across the Tidal Basin to the Washington Monument. I have sold more prints of this shot than any other I have taken. I used my Pentax 67 with the 55mm f/4 SMC Pentax 67 lens on Kodak Tri-X with a slight crop.

Both were scanned using an Epson 4990 flatbed.

Cheers, Allan

Last edited by cobbu2; 12-02-2016 at 08:49 PM.
12-02-2016, 09:52 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cobbu2 Quote
The next was taken on the steps of the Jefferson Memorial.
Very nice!
12-02-2016, 10:35 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some absolute stunners already! This is going to be fun!
12-02-2016, 11:05 PM - 4 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cool what a great idea!

This is one of my favourite shots I took back in 1976 in Zurich, Switzerland. (I used my KX & K55/1.8 shooting Kodachrome 64)

I did end up printing this shot later that year (1976), back when they used to use inter-negatives for printing slide film. The 36in x 24in "all analog" enlargement has much more detail than this scan and you can clearly see the people sitting outside in the outdoor street cafe's.

Phil.
12-02-2016, 11:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Cool what a great idea!

This is one of my favourite shots I took back in 1976 in Zurich, Switzerland. (I used my KX & K55/1.8 shooting Kodachrome 64)

I did end up printing this shot later that year (1976), back when they used to use inter-negatives for printing slide film. The 36in x 24in "all analog" enlargement has much more detail than this scan and you can clearly see the people sitting outside in the outdoor street cafe's.

Phil.
Ahhhhh K64 - the color that does not fade. Very cool slice of Zurich caught in time. It's interesting what changes in a place and what doesn't at all.
12-03-2016, 12:19 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

Another Tri-X shot, I'm sure. I think somewhere on the way to, or near, Apple Valley, CA (early 80's). Unevenness due to scanning a self-printed 8x10.

Technically not great, but it's the H-1 Hercules, aka Spruce Goose. It was once housed in the big dome next to the Queen Mary in Long Beach. I knew the security guy, and his dad joined us there one evening. Went in it, sat in "the seat", stood on the wing. 15mm FE.

Eiffel tower, using my grandma's Kodak Instamatic. Looks like I have the same level-horizon issue today. The print, which has been discarded, was a bit better - this is a rough proof scan. 1973-ish.

Somewhat blah perhaps, but it's the open area of the Arizona memorial, which is more moving in person. Canon EF, K64(?).

Last edited by SpecialK; 12-10-2016 at 04:18 AM.
12-03-2016, 01:30 AM - 3 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good thread and pictures. My little Retinette never failed me even if it was only a simple viewfinder 50mm/f3.5. I still struggle to better my shots taken with it. This one of my sister in 1962.

---------- Post added 03-12-16 at 18:37 ----------

Retinette 1A 1961 of my father.
12-03-2016, 05:12 AM - 3 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

These are the two that I've got hanging as 12"x18" prints next to my desk at home, because they both bring back wonderful personal memories. Both shot with an Olympus XA and Konica VX400 negative film, which used to give a warm, saturated colour rendering that I loved.

Times Square

Sorrento
12-03-2016, 05:23 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Very nice!
Thank you! I like your Apple Valley shot as well. Nice ones everyone so far!