Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2016, 07:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Smart phone light meter apps

Since many of us here own and use the older classics that predate built in light meters, I was wondering if anyone is using one of the apps and their smart phone to meter exposure. If so, how is it working out accuracy wise? I have an SV and a K (and eventually an AP) that I will use on occasion and was wondering if purchasing a handheld meter for more than I paid for the cameras would be necessary.

12-08-2016, 07:19 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't tried the available apps for a couple of years, but when I did agreement with in-camera and hand-held meters readings was poor. *

Steve

* Comparison to reading from 18% gray card
12-08-2016, 09:04 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
Since many of us here own and use the older classics that predate built in light meters, I was wondering if anyone is using one of the apps and their smart phone to meter exposure. If so, how is it working out accuracy wise? I have an SV and a K (and eventually an AP) that I will use on occasion and was wondering if purchasing a handheld meter for more than I paid for the cameras would be necessary.
I have an app, but don't use it as it is very direction sensitive. Sunny 16 is much easier and accurate enough besides being more like an incident meter.
12-08-2016, 09:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I downloaded the Android app "LightMeter" by David Quiles. I used it with an old Ricoh film camera (TLS 401). I used the app to expose a roll before I sold the camera, just to test the accuracy of the shutter, and it did a very fine job at guiding me to the correct exposure.

Here's the Flickr album.

12-09-2016, 01:26 AM   #5
Veteran Member

"Light Meter Tools" has a fully functional free "trial" that works quite well. I've downloaded a ton of them over the last few years and deleted all but that one. Works well in a pinch.
I've had a number of tiny light meters (outside my Minolta which I usually use and which is not tiny) and finally threw down a bit of money for a Sekonic L-208 Twinmate - they're SMALL and work fast and great. But I still wind up Sunny-16'ing most of the time.
12-09-2016, 05:01 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the Pocket Light Meter iPhone app which does a good job on the occasions that I use my old film Pentax SL. It has exposure correction which I've calibrated to my K-3II matrix meter, and works pretty well.
12-09-2016, 08:04 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
I have the Pocket Light Meter iPhone app which does a good job on the occasions that I use my old film Pentax SL. It has exposure correction which I've calibrated to my K-3II matrix meter, and works pretty well.
Can second the effectiveness of Pocket Light Meter. It's been around for quite a while and I used it extensively for several years with no problems.

Currently I'm trying a newer app called "Lux" which has a really nice interface, fast and easy to use.

12-09-2016, 06:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I would imagine that the model of phone that it is used on might affect the accuracy. I would also assume that the app somehow taps into the meter that the phone's camera uses. Can anyone comment on this? I guess that the best way for me to see if this will work for me is to just get out there with a known accurate meter and compare. I tried it indoors around the house briefly and the phone app seems to be 2 or more stops off compared to the meters in a couple of my Pentaxes. Maybe the accuracy would be better under better lighting conditions.

I just tried it again in the living room. The meter says EV3 When I expose according to the meter, my 7D2 is underexposing by exactly one stop. It seems to be pretty consistent so I'll do some more testing in other light conditions in the next few days and report back. If it proves to be consistent across varying light levels, I'll move up to trying it with my 1958 K model and my SV and see how it works out. This is going to be a blast if it ends up working out.

Edit again to say that the 1 stop underexposure is based strictly on where I like to see the histogram. As it turns out, the meter app is giving the exact same exposure as the 7D2 is giving in AE mode, right down to a third of a stop.

Last edited by ctrout; 12-09-2016 at 07:16 PM.
12-09-2016, 07:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
I would imagine that the model of phone that it is used on might affect the accuracy. I would also assume that the app somehow taps into the meter that the phone's camera uses. Can anyone comment on this? I guess that the best way for me to see if this will work for me is to just get out there with a known accurate meter and compare. I tried it indoors around the house briefly and the phone app seems to be 2 or more stops off compared to the meters in a couple of my Pentaxes. Maybe the accuracy would be better under better lighting conditions.

I just tried it again in the living room. The meter says EV3 When I expose according to the meter, my 7D2 is underexposing by exactly one stop. It seems to be pretty consistent so I'll do some more testing in other light conditions in the next few days and report back. If it proves to be consistent across varying light levels, I'll move up to trying it with my 1958 K model and my SV and see how it works out. This is going to be a blast if it ends up working out.

Edit again to say that the 1 stop underexposure is based strictly on where I like to see the histogram. As it turns out, the meter app is giving the exact same exposure as the 7D2 is giving in AE mode, right down to a third of a stop.
Yup - as you surmised, they can be quite accurate, phone depending. They're also generally much more sensitive to the angle of light hitting the sensor. There are a few "brands" of diffuser domes made to fit over various phone models which help with. One is called Luxi which I've read is pretty good though I've no experience with it directly. There's also an actual meter (for iPhone only I think, but I could be mistaken) which I believe is called Lumu... or Lumo... or something like that, which is an actual meter that plugs into the phone with it's own app. Reviews of it are good.

For my money, it's all just too fiddly. I still prefer a real meter or sunny-16.
12-13-2016, 05:12 AM   #10

I use Pocket Light meter on an iphone 5S - as said, it won' work on all phones as some of the cheaper ones won't allow access to the light metering (like my old Samsung Galaxy Ace). I've found it pretty accurate in the terms I can check it, maybe underexposing by 1/3-1/2 a stop. Useful for difficult situations where guessing exposure is hard, or in high contrast to check different areas. I use it a lot to calibrate camera meters when I've been working on them. Not all my cameras have meters, and I am still learning my way around exposure in terms of high contrast scenes. Given these things are cheap or free and most people these days have a phone on them, I think they're a great idea, backed up by decent accuracy.