Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2016, 02:41 PM   #1

Does Asahi Pentax Spotmatic SP II work without batteries?

Can I still take photographs with my Asahi Pentax Spotmatic SP II without batteries?

12-13-2016, 02:48 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes. Only the light meter need batteries.
12-13-2016, 04:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You need smart phone app or meter or Sunny 16 rule - Wikipedia
12-13-2016, 04:21 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Yes, the camera is fully mechanical and will operate without batteries. The TTL stop-down meter system requires batteries and and while coupled to the camera, there is no exposure automation. You must manually set the aperture and shutter speed.

While the original mercury button cell batteries are no longer available, modern silver-cell equivalents are available and work well. I use them on my SP II with good success. The battery to look for is Energizer E387S or equivalent. The voltage is different than the original type, but the meter circuit is not affected under most light conditions.

BTW, You can download a copy of the camera manual from:

Pentax Manuals: M42 Cameras (PDF password is "Pentax")

There are two versions of the manual there. Download both and use the one that suits you best.

Steve

01-15-2017, 07:03 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Yes, the camera is fully mechanical and will operate without batteries. The TTL stop-down meter system requires batteries and and while coupled to the camera, there is no exposure automation. You must manually set the aperture and shutter speed.

While the original mercury button cell batteries are no longer available, modern silver-cell equivalents are available and work well. I use them on my SP II with good success. The battery to look for is Energizer E387S or equivalent. The voltage is different than the original type, but the meter circuit is not affected under most light conditions.

BTW, You can download a copy of the camera manual from:

Pentax Manuals: M42 Cameras (PDF password is "Pentax")

There are two versions of the manual there. Download both and use the one that suits you best.

Steve

All, just bought a battery from batteries-n-bulbs. The package says 387.

No mention of the S.

But the battery that was in the package says 394. It does not work in the SP II, meaning it did not turn up the meter.

Will check the package next time.
01-15-2017, 08:00 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GGWnCYP Quote
But the battery that was in the package says 394. It does not work in the SP II, meaning it did not turn up the meter.
The 387S is a 394* set into a plastic fitting to make it the appropriate diameter. Check that the battery is right-side-up ("+" facing into the camera body).

Steve

* or equivalent
01-16-2017, 12:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

(Part of) plumbers 'o' ring and clean contacts eraser on end of graphite pencil maybe necessary.