Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
12-13-2016, 03:38 PM   #1

Serious backfocus problem on Z-1P (PZ-1P)

Hello to the community,

I just bought a a Z-1p in very good shape on the internet.

The only problem that i got with the little baby is that it has a serious backfocus problem (i would evaluate the backfocus at a diffrence of 10 cm when I am at 70cm from subject with the DA 50mm).

It occurs with all of my lenses, so it's definitely a problem coming from the camera itself.

Is there any solution to fix it or is it definitely not usuable with AF ?

Thanks !

12-13-2016, 03:45 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Were your test shots in good daylight or artificial lighting? The type of lighting can make a difference...
12-13-2016, 03:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good question!

12-13-2016, 03:50 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Were your test shots in good daylight or artificial lighting? The type of lighting can make a difference...
I did'nt shot because I did not wanted to waste film. It was with artificial lighting.

Nevertheless, I got its little brother (z-1) and that one perfectly focus with same conditions.

12-13-2016, 03:57 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vlad59134 Quote
I did'nt shot because I did not wanted to waste film. It was with artificial lighting.

Nevertheless, I got its little brother (z-1) and that one perfectly focus with same conditions.
OK. Well, I don't have experience of the Z-1P, but many AF film cameras and earlier DSLRs exhibited back-focusing under fluorescent and sometimes incandescent lighting - a limitation of their AF systems and software. I'd suggest doing your tests again in good natural light and see what results you get. This may not be the problem, but I suspect it might be.
12-13-2016, 04:05 PM   #6

Original Poster
Well, good to know, thanks.

Even if i don't think that's the origin of the problem, I will definitely try outside to check it.
12-14-2016, 02:08 PM   #7

Original Poster
Well i had time to do a little test outside. Definitely out of focus.
I have seen nothing on the user manual to fix it (I was hoping for a function or something like that)....

Do you know if there could be a "mechanical" solution ?

12-14-2016, 02:32 PM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmmm... Well, if it's happening with multiple lenses, the only thing I can think is that the sensor for the AF requires adjustment. I had a quick look online and couldn't find the service manual in the public domain, but there is a website that will sell you a copy for $9.99. If you're set on getting it working, it might be worth getting hold of that manual to see if any AF system adjustments are possible.

Here's the link: PENTAX PZ-1, PZ-1P, Z-1, Z-1P Series Service Manual
12-14-2016, 02:45 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Hmmm... Well, if it's happening with multiple lenses, the only thing I can think is that the sensor for the AF requires adjustment. I had a quick look online and couldn't find the service manual in the public domain, but there is a website that will sell you a copy for $9.99. If you're set on getting it working, it might be worth getting hold of that manual to see if any AF system adjustments are possible.

Here's the link: PENTAX PZ-1, PZ-1P, Z-1, Z-1P Series Service Manual
I don't know why I bought this, but I did, and it doesn't appear to have the info you need.
12-14-2016, 02:51 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I don't know why I bought this, but I did, and it doesn't appear to have the info you need.

Good to know !

Well, have you already heard similar about similar problems (and their fix) on other film cameras ?
12-14-2016, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Good to know !

Well, have you already heard similar about similar problems (and their fix) on other film cameras ?
Well, any camera with a phase detect AF system - film or digital - has AF sensors and firmware dedicated to the AF process, and the potential issues are the same. At the time of manufacture, the camera's AF sensor position will be adjusted (if in fact it is adjustable) to be as accurate as possible, then small offsets will be applied in firmware to fine tune the AF. Assuming your camera once worked correctly, I can only think that the AF sensor needs physical adjustment (since the values in firmware are non-adjustable).

The only other thing I can possibly think is that the AF sensor needs cleaning. If you can locate where this is (in the bottom of the mirror box, I'm guessing) use a small flashlight and inspect it to see if it is dirty or has dust / hairs on it. You may find cleaning that sensor does the trick. It's worth a try, at least

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-14-2016 at 03:29 PM.
12-14-2016, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good to know !

Not really. Most of the time this comes up, people just live with it or send it in for repair. I did have hopes for you since the the 645NII was technician adjustable to use different numbers of frames, but alas...
12-15-2016, 01:24 AM - 1 Like   #13

Original Poster
Well, i give a try to clean the sensor with alcohol.

The blue one on the bottom ofthe following picture.

And... it's definitely better.
Not perfect but decent for a film camera.
I may try a better clean to achieve a perfect focus.

Thanks, you rules !
12-15-2016, 01:49 AM   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, i give a try to clean the sensor with alcohol.

The blue one on the bottom ofthe following picture.

And... it's definitely better.
Not perfect but decent for a film camera.
I may try a better clean to achieve a perfect focus.

Thanks, you rules !
That's excellent news - well done!

"Decent" is a good result with AF film cameras. We have much higher expectations these days