Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2008, 07:49 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To mount or not to mount

I am going to have several rolls of Velvia 50 and Provia 400 developed and I am wondering if I should have them mounted or not. The scanner I have available has both a carousel for slides and a roll feeder, so that's not an issue. Is there a downside to storing negatives in the canister as opposed to mounted and in a box?

08-01-2008, 09:41 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Buffy Quote
I am going to have several rolls of Velvia 50 and Provia 400 developed and I am wondering if I should have them mounted or not. The scanner I have available has both a carousel for slides and a roll feeder, so that's not an issue. Is there a downside to storing negatives in the canister as opposed to mounted and in a box?
Negs/slides in canister are a bit more prone to suffer under handling as they are taken out and returned to the canister, but other than that, it is up to your personal preference.
08-02-2008, 10:48 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the lab charges you for mounting 50c or so have them mounted
it is a lot easier for storage, writing notes and you can even project them!
08-02-2008, 12:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
advantages of mounting:
*usable in projectors
*ease of marking, as titrisol said
*ease of handling

advantages of unmounted:
*storage size- strips of 5 in negative sleeves takes up a whole lot less space than fully mounted slides in a clear sheet. I've got 6 binders full of mounted slides, but I havn't filled up one binder yet with unmounted.

08-02-2008, 11:32 PM   #5

Paper or plastic??? Do not use paper mounts. Sometimes little flakes will come off and land on the slides.
08-08-2008, 02:44 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
To mount or not to mount....

That is the question.

Whatever you do, DON'T keep uncut film in the cannister! I have dozens of rolls of 35mm b/w film my father shot in the 30's stored thus, and the film has a really nasty curl. As a previous post said, damage is likely taking the film out of the cannister; if you roll it up tightly to insert it the roll will expand to fit the cannister, making it hard to remove. Lengthwise scratches are almost inevitable.

I'd concur with mounting in plastic, or you could keep it in strips of 6 or 7 frames in the various transparent ring binder pages.
08-08-2008, 04:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

don't mount it! it's going to explode!