Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2016, 12:33 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax P30T stuck shutter

Dear Board,

I recently won a P30T w/50mm f2 SMC-A in an auction. The camera appears to be in good condition. I put in fresh batteries in it and it turns on. The meter works and appears to be accurate when compared to other known good light meters. All the possible functions, P. AE, and M work and values can be changed.

The problem is the shutter will not fire. It works fine to the halfway detent to make the viewfinder meter indicators light but it will not fire. I'm not sure if the problem is with the shutter or the film advance lever but I would appreciate if anyone has any ideas on a simple fix or should I look for another one?

Regards,

Tim Murphy
Harrisburg, PA

12-24-2016, 05:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I assume you're confident that the film advance has been turned to the end of its travel and the shutter is charged. Failing that, the first possibility that comes to mind is a dirty shutter release switch. That's a two-contact switch, and a little bit of grime or corrosion in the wrong place could cause what you are describing. (Usually I have seen it the other way though: the shutter will fire with a full press, but the half-press won't work to activate the meter first).
12-25-2016, 07:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

P30/50 shutter releases do seem to go a bit funny over time - I've had a couple that were either reluctant to fire or didn't at all. They're so cheap that I never took them apart to fix, preferring to find another, but I would like to know what the issue actually is. I'm 99% sure it's the electrical connections of the switch itself, rather than the shutter or winder, but whether it's corrosion or some other issue I'm not sure.
12-25-2016, 10:03 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Dear Board,

I think it's somehow related to the film advance lever and how it works with the shutter. I cannot advance the lever, it acts as if it has been advanced and the shutter should be cocked but the shutter button does not release it.

I guess I'll just have to look for one that is said to be working and go from there? I kind of like the P30T because it is small and light and I'd be more apt to carry it around since it weighs next to nothing.

Regards,

Tim Murphy
Harrisburg, PA

12-26-2016, 10:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If you have a cable release thread it in to the socket and try that. Nothing to lose, and it might free things up.
01-05-2017, 07:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tim Murphy Quote
I guess I'll just have to look for one that is said to be working and go from there?
Any update on this? Did you find out what was wrong? Did you get something else?