Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2016, 10:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
MX Mirror Stuck

I bought this very clean looking MX earlier this year. Halfway through the second roll of film I've put through it, I noticed a problem with the mirror. At first, it wouldn't return after I tripped the shutter, but I was able to wind the film on. And then if I tripped the shutter again, the mirror would return. This condition persisted for about three of these double actuations, and then it stopped altogether. Now, the mirror is stuck in the up position and I can't wind the film on or trip the shutter.

I'm gonna remove the bottom plate and poke around in there some, see what I can find if anything. I can remove the top cover too, if that will do any good. And if I have to, I can remove the mirror box, but I don't really want to have to dig into it that far.

So, any obvious places I should look that you might know of?

I think I'll go visit YouTube, see if anybody's posted some MX repair videos.

12-26-2016, 10:26 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cooltouch Quote
I bought this very clean looking MX earlier this year. Halfway through the second roll of film I've put through it, I noticed a problem with the mirror. At first, it wouldn't return after I tripped the shutter, but I was able to wind the film on. And then if I tripped the shutter again, the mirror would return. This condition persisted for about three of these double actuations, and then it stopped altogether. Now, the mirror is stuck in the up position and I can't wind the film on or trip the shutter.

I'm gonna remove the bottom plate and poke around in there some, see what I can find if anything. I can remove the top cover too, if that will do any good. And if I have to, I can remove the mirror box, but I don't really want to have to dig into it that far.

So, any obvious places I should look that you might know of?

I think I'll go visit YouTube, see if anybody's posted some MX repair videos.
It could be the mirror foam gone bad and it's now sticky, so this will continue to happen with your MX until the foam is replaced.

I'd send it to Eric for a CLA.

Phil.
12-26-2016, 01:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for your prompt reply. For now, I will avail myself of an excellent local repair source: Professional Camera Repair of Houston. They're much cheaper than Eric and they have fast turn-around times. I had various issues wrong with my LX and had them do a repair and CLA. Cost me $80.

I'm rather embarrassed to report that the reason why I coudn't advance the film in this MX is because I was at the end of the roll. I had a roll of 24 loaded and I thought it was 36. Oops.

So once I got the roll out, I was able to advance the shutter again, and I was better able to define the problem. I removed the bottom cover so I could have a look at what was going on down there. Often -- not every time, but most of the time, when the camera is set to one of the slow speeds and when I trip the shutter, the shutter fires but the mirror stays up. Often -- not every time -- when I fire the shutter again, the mirror will not fall. I may have to trip the shutter half a dozen times or more before it falls. Or -- I can set the dial to 1/30 or faster and the mirror falls every time.

I found where the fault lies -- I think. When poking around in the bottom area of the camera, I found a spot where, if I press on it with my tweezers, it trips a spring loaded mechanism and the mirror falls. I can't tell where this spot leads, but it seems pretty clear that I'll have to pull the mirror box to take a look at the way it's operating and find what I need to do to fix it. So that's where things stand, sorta. The camera is perfectly usable at speeds of 1/30 and higher.

When I was poking around down in the camera's interior with a set of tweezers, I inadvertently disconnected a small spring from the slow speed escapement and when I was trying to reconnect it, it fell off its other attachment point down into the bowels of the camera. I've thumped it and whacked it with my hands, trying to get the spring to come back out, but to no avail. I'll probably have to pull the mirror box to retrieve the spring. Fortunately, wherever it fell to, it isn't interfering with the operation of the camera. But now that it's missing from the slow-speed escapement, the shutter no longer times out at the slow speeds. The shutter just fires at a set speed -- probably X or 1/60 -- whether it's set to 1/15 or 1 second.

So, I'm in need of a small spring. Anybody got a parts MX they'd want to sell me a spring from? Here's where it went (the red arrow shows where):
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NEX-7  Photo 
12-26-2016, 02:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Hi Michael,

I do have a beat-up, parts MX that I'd be willing to sell. Just took off the bottom plate to verify the spring is indeed there. PM if you're interested
and we can hammer out an arrangement.

However, it's just a simple tension spring and you might be able to find a local replacement for a couple dollars. I was going to suggest
Graingers, but a quick search doesn't show anything smaller than 1/2". The actual spring in the MX looks like it has an outside diameter
of ~1/8" and a coil length of ~3/16". That's just an eyeball guess without actually removing and measuring the spring. You might try a local
watch repair or even the above mentioned camera shop to see if they'll sell you the spring.

However, if you're really hankering for a parts body, send me a PM. (edit: forgot to mention I'm in Austin, so shipping would be
fast and relatively affordable).

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-13-2022, 05:44 PM   #5

It's a bit of an older thread, but did you get to the bottom of the stuck mirror in the end, OP?

In a similar boat over here!