Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2008, 07:25 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Getting back into film

I've started back with film after a year long adventure with the K10d and K100d. I bought a k1000 today in great shape and ready to rock. I also got a Kodak Retina Ia from a gentleman on this forum. I like the digital stuff but I missed film. I have gotten lazy and have been using the spray and pray mode of photography for the last couple months. I'm hoping to slow it down and start Paying attention to what I am photographing again. It's easy to get caught up in taking lots of pictures and deleting 99% of them later. All that for this question!

What type of pictures can I expect from the k1000? I have Nikon n80's but have never used a manual camera.
How accurate are the meters on the K1000?

Hope everyone has a great day!

08-02-2008, 11:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hey Fish, welcome to PF and welcome to the small but very friendly ''film'' section....I have two K1000's and the meter on both is quite good and accurate...I have found that slightly underexposing my images works great, opposite of digital.

Picture quality, atleast as far as I am concerned comes down to lens and film...The bodies don't seem to make much difference..

I am sure others will be able to give you more and better advice...
08-03-2008, 03:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I started off in equine sports photography with a K1000 a 35-80 and 80-200 4.5-5.6 lens(s) and my photos were exposed well and sharp.

You'll be fine. Its rock solid and simple.

Just remember when you remove the lens cap, the light meter turns on, so if you walk around a lot with the cap off, your batteries will drain quicker, but they do last quite a long time.

I think i went trough 2 a year.,

Dave
08-03-2008, 04:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A Retina 1a!!! WAY COOL - I have a IIa and it is my favorite (I can't say that too loud around here), the Retinas are so tiny and heavy and well made.

08-03-2008, 08:03 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I will try underexposing some of my first roll and see how they work. I've always heard how tough the k1000 were and glad to hear they also shoot good too. I do like hearing that "mechanical" click when you trip the shutter. Thanks again for the info
08-03-2008, 08:33 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I echo Javier's comment in saying: welcome to our small but friendly film forum. I think you will find that there are a number of knowledgeable, helpful film users here. I use film only. You should be impressed with the results from your K1000--a true classic. Do not be afraid to try different things as you learn the "ins and outs" of your camera. A five pack of Fuji film (200 or 400) is just over $1.00 per roll at a "big box" store (i.e. Target).

Glen
08-03-2008, 09:08 AM   #7

Welcome to the Film Forum! It's nice to see a new face around here!

The K1000 is a very simple camera, but its simplicity is its strength. It's only got what you really need, and this helps to make you focus on your composition and subject instead of the camera, though a depth-of-field preview would be nice (and that's why I'm gonna get myself a KX when I can afford one.)

I learned photography on the K1000, and I've been impressed by the quality of the images I've made with it--even while I was still a complete novice (though this may be more a testament to the film and excellent Pentax glass ). In any event, the K1000 won't disappoint. You've made an excellent choice with the K1000!

08-03-2008, 10:16 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentkon52 Quote

Just remember when you remove the lens cap, the light meter turns on, so if you walk around a lot with the cap off, your batteries will drain quicker, but they do last quite a long time.

I think i went trough 2 a year.,

Dave
Dave, this is a great point. I have known this of the K-1OOO and I have wondered if this is true of the ME Super and other Pentax film SLR's? Any idea?

On a battery note, I have had some wazzo energizer hearing aid batteries in both my K1OOO's and they are still going strong. The meter is fast and responsive.
08-03-2008, 10:38 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Dave, this is a great point. I have known this of the K-1OOO and I have wondered if this is true of the ME Super and other Pentax film SLR's? Any idea?
Spotmatic "F" which is more or less a K1000 with M42 mount, does this. I just have gotten really used to placing the cap on the lens whenever not in use.

woof!
08-03-2008, 11:26 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks Woof, I too have simply gotten used to keeping the lens cap on.
08-03-2008, 11:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

On the KX, the wind lever has to be in the ready position (ie. out a bit) and you have to push down the shutter for the meter to work.

On the Pgm Plus, the shutter locked setting turns the meter off. Unlocking the shutter doesn't yet turn it on, but a touch on the shutter does. I suppose it turns itself off after a moment or so as well.
08-03-2008, 12:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Since you are looking at film, have you thought about getting a 645? I have recently seen entire cameras (Body, Lens and Back) for under $400 on ebay.

They have been calling me...
08-03-2008, 02:11 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Let me echo the welcome to the part of the forum for the "out of date, living in the past fossils" or to put it bluntly, "the old farts section." LOL I've been shooting film with a Pentax for almost 40 years starting out with a SV and external clip on meter. I do shoot digital also but have only had a K100D Super for about 5 months. I think having a good idea of film helps keep from machine gunning shots from a digital. In fact, I was shooting a covered bridge yesterday that I had originally taken pictures of about 35 years ago with my Spotmatic II. Yesterday I was using an MX loaded with Tri-X along with my K100. When I got home last night I was suprised to see that I hadn't taken near as many digital pics as I thought.

Anyway, enjoy your K1000 and let us see some of those photos.

CW