Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2017, 09:52 PM   #1

Help repairing a gear inside a Pentax K1000?

I have a K1000 that works fine, except the Film Advance Lever is no longer in working order. The gear that meshes with the lever has stripped a few teeth and they appear flat. By moving the lever I can advance the film almost all the way, but it starts skipping and clicking and I have to help it the rest of the way.

There are photos attached below, of the gear that is stripped. Is there any way of repairing the teeth on it without removing it? It's under the ASA/ISO dial and It seems very complicated to remove that portion of the camera, so I would rather not do that. If I can't do this, I will most likely be sending the camera to Eric.

Thanks so much,

oceanbass

Attached Images

01-03-2017, 01:12 AM   #2

There is a version of the service manual for the K1000 available on pentax-manuals.com

Pentax Manuals
01-03-2017, 07:21 AM   #3
Forum Member

can you find a spares/repairs K1000 on ebay for cheap money, hopefully with a good winder mechanism, so you can have a practice taking it all apart, and have the part you need to fix yours.
01-03-2017, 09:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
In answer to the question...no, there is no practical way to repair the existing gear in-situ.

01-03-2017, 10:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
In answer to the question...no, there is no practical way to repair the existing gear in-situ.
Quite right. All those bits have to come off to remove the gear and replace it. It's not for the inexperienced. Taking off the shutter dial parts isn't hard, but putting them back is much trickier.
01-04-2017, 02:27 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
Quite right. All those bits have to come off to remove the gear and replace it. It's not for the inexperienced. Taking off the shutter dial parts isn't hard, but putting them back is much trickier.
I thought so. Gambled and lost $65 on it, oh well. I'll get it repaired by Eric one day. Thanks for the help!