Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2008, 10:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
ISO Settings

I got me a K1000 off ebay that came with a lens I wanted, I want to try out the camera with my SMC-A 50mm 1.7 . I put a roll of 200 film into it and was wondering what would be the best settings for taking pictures outside on a bright sunny day. Just want to see if the camera is any good or should I give it to someone for parts.

Thanks

Jack

08-03-2008, 10:23 AM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I got me a K1000 off ebay that came with a lens I wanted, I want to try out the camera with my SMC-A 50mm 1.7 . I put a roll of 200 film into it and was wondering what would be the best settings for taking pictures outside on a bright sunny day. Just want to see if the camera is any good or should I give it to someone for parts.

Thanks

Jack
Does the meter work? If so, you just set the ISO dial to 200 and then adjust the shutter speed and apeture so that the meter is in range. If the meter doesn't work you probably will have to use the 'Sunny 16' rule. Just do a search on this forum or Google. The camera will not work with the lens on the 'A' setting.
08-03-2008, 10:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Does that look right, I think everything works.

08-03-2008, 10:49 AM   #4

Do you know how to set the film speed on a K1000 (or similar camera?)

First you pull up on the shutter speed dial. The collar around it should come up easily. Then, while still holding the collar up, rotate the collar counterclockwise until 200 is visible in the little window on the dial, and the orange dot on the dial is next to the black dot above 200. The way the camera is set up now, it's set to use 400 speed film which is one stop more sensitive than 200 speed film.

EDIT: Looks right for Sunny 16 rule, though. Have fun!

08-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Yes, according to the photo, the camera is currently ready for use with 400-speed film.

The camera seems to be in fairly nice shape. I do not see any dings on the prism (or the rest of the top plate), and there does not appear to be any brassing. Enjoy your new camera.

Glen
08-03-2008, 02:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK the thing is set to 200, thanks for explaining how to change it. What should the Black dial be set to? Is that the shutter speed? set it on the orange X 60 or higher for sun?
08-03-2008, 03:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's just a reminder of the kind of film you have in the camera. Later cameras had a little pocket in the back to hold the flap of the film carton for that purpose.

08-03-2008, 04:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I think the black dial is for the shutter speed . Look through the view finder to see where the meter is pointing and adjust the shutter speed. I don't have K1000 body here so I'm not the best person to help you out.
08-03-2008, 05:22 PM   #9

The dial with the numbers 1000, 500, 250, 125, etc. is your shutter speed dial. The red "X" next to 60 indicates that 60 is the camera's "X-sync" speed--that is, the highest shutter speed you can use with a flash and get a proper exposure. Using a faster speed than the X-sync will result in a partially-exposed frame--in other words, only a fraction of the frame would be illuminated by the flash. (By the way, the speeds are actually fractions of a second--1000 indicates 1/1000 of a second, 500 is 1/500, etc.) The B indicates "Bulb" mode, and that keeps the shutter open for as long as you hold the button down. It's usually used for long exposures, like night shots.

Using the K1000 is really easy once you get the hang of it. Just get a combination of shutter speed and aperture that places the needle as close to the center of the gap on the right side of the viewfinder as you can. Just remember that if you go below the shutter speed that is nearest the focal length of the lens (which is 50 mm in this case) you risk blurring the shot if you take it handheld. In other words, don't go below 60 with that lens if you're not willing to risk a blurred shot.

Of course, the meter will only work if the battery is good. To check the battery, set the film speed to 100 and the shutter to B. The needle should "peg" at the top of the meter (+) and stay there. If it doesn't, then you need to change the battery.

Please forgive me if I came off as condescending.... I'm only trying to help, and that's not easy to do when you don't know how much the person you're helping knows!
08-03-2008, 06:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have found that ISO on film works pretty much the same way as ISO on digital.
08-03-2008, 07:20 PM   #11
Inactive Account

K1000 manual

Go here Pentax Manuals

Bill
08-03-2008, 08:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for everything guys. I guess I just shoot and take them in to be printed now.
08-03-2008, 09:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
That's just a reminder of the kind of film you have in the camera. Later cameras had a little pocket in the back to hold the flap of the film carton for that purpose.
Well, also, it affects what the meter shows. If you have film that's one stop slower than the meter expects, putting the needle in the middle will underexpose by one stop.

QuoteOriginally posted by Stevopedia Quote
Using the K1000 is really easy once you get the hang of it. Just get a combination of shutter speed and aperture that places the needle as close to the center of the gap on the right side of the viewfinder as you can.
The K1000D's meter is basically of all the light in the frame -- not even center-weighted, let alone any sort of fancy evaluation. I actually like that, once I got the hang of it. Just make sure to put the needle above or under the center if your subject is significantly brighter or darker than the average of the scene.

QuoteQuote:
Of course, the meter will only work if the battery is good. To check the battery, set the film speed to 100 and the shutter to B. The needle should "peg" at the top of the meter (+) and stay there. If it doesn't, then you need to change the battery.
Random tip #2: the meter runs and discharges the battery whenever there's light. Save battery by not forgetting the lens cap.
08-05-2008, 11:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Is that what those little windows are for? Makes a lot of sense now that I know that.