Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-07-2017, 08:01 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just gave away a ME Super and ME Super SE to a school starting a film program. They're out there. I've never understood the fascination with that particular model. If you want auto-exposure, try the original ME. Your ME Winder II will work with it. If you want manual exposure, the MX makes a nice mate to the ME. If you want auto and manual in the same camera, the K2 or Program Plus are good options. The P3n and SF1n are also good options.

01-07-2017, 08:30 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UMC Quote
Buying a ME Super indeed is some kind of lottery, as most of them suffer from a small plastic damper on the mirrorbox, that slowly disintegrates itself into sticky debris
QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
I found the shutter did not work and the film advance was jammed and the plastic damper had disintegrated into a sticky mess, just as you described.
I was puzzled by the talk about the "plastic damper" until I realized that it was the foam rubber mirror bumper that being discussed. Disintegration of this piece of foam as well as foam light seals is very common and inevitable for cameras that use them.* It is not a problem unique to the ME Super. Replacement of the foam and clean-up of the sticky mess is part of a standard CLA (clean/lube/adjust). The foams may also be user replaced using available materials and kits. I prefer Jon Goodman's excellent kits, available for most cameras for about $10 USD shipping included.

Steve

* There are exceptions, but most cameras made in the last 60 years of so use foam-type light seals. Other options include cord/yarn seals and physical light traps. Mirror bumpers, when present, are almost always foam or rubber.
01-08-2017, 01:05 AM   #18
Pentaxian

The ME Super is a nice camera if you can get a working one but the majority of those around today have some kind of problem, either mechanical or electronic. I recommend testing one before buying because I see a lot of threads about ME Supers bought online which were duds when received. Look for one being sold locally or from a reputable dealer - you won't get some super bargain but you'll also avoid the frustration of buying a camera which turns out to be no good or requires an expensive tune-up or repair.
01-12-2017, 10:52 AM   #19
UMC

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...I was puzzled by the talk about the "plastic damper" until I realized that it was the foam rubber mirror bumper that being discussed...
That's not what I meant. The plastic damper I refer to is inside the camera, on the right side of the mirrorbox. It is best viewed by a google search for "ME Super repair project". There is a guy who replaced this part by a green piece of shrink tube, see e.g. here: Medium, Projects and Hands on Pinterest

4 Out of my 5 ME-Fs suffer(ed) from this issue....

01-12-2017, 11:12 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UMC Quote
That's not what I meant. The plastic damper I refer to is inside the camera, on the right side of the mirrorbox. It is best viewed by a google search for "ME Super repair project". There is a guy who replaced this part by a green piece of shrink tube, see e.g. here: Medium, Projects and Hands on Pinterest

4 Out of my 5 ME-Fs suffer(ed) from this issue....
Thanks for the clarification. Out of curiosity, do you know what models this part is found in?

Steve
01-12-2017, 11:59 AM   #21
UMC

Definitely in the ME-Super and the ME-F, as I have seen this with my own eyes.

Some sources on the internet claim, that the mirrorbox of ME, ME Super, ME-F, MV, MV1 and MG is the same. Some even think that the Super/Program A (Super Program in the US) are also part of the family. However, my Super A and my MV do not yet suffer from the issue, although my Super A is from early 1983.
01-13-2017, 07:35 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As to the original question, if one pops up on KEH.com, it will almost be certainly be good for regular use as long as it is rated in "Bargain" or better condition. It'll come with a warranty and their return policy is excellent, you can buy with confidence.

01-14-2017, 09:33 AM - 1 Like   #23

Original Poster
Buying good or bad....

QuoteOriginally posted by cobbu2 Quote
As to the original question, if one pops up on KEH.com, it will almost be certainly be good for regular use as long as it is rated in "Bargain" or better condition. It'll come with a warranty and their return policy is excellent, you can buy with confidence.
That may well be the route to go or perhaps my one local shop still actively selling s/h gear. I have looked at many online which are frankly "crusty". I know they are coming up for 40 years old but it makes me concerned about buying one that has been cleaned(with a wet rag) but it is still ropey. It may well work out cheaper buying a crusty one and paying for good CLA and fix but as mentioned earlier it probably is a bit of a lottery. Eye wide open applies methinks.

Last edited by rjm007; 01-14-2017 at 11:24 AM. Reason: To amend my inaccurate prose
01-17-2017, 05:28 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by rjm007 Quote
The news that Ektachrome is coming back is making me ponder getting back into taking the odd film. I started my SLR life with a K1000 before moving on to an ME Super with MEII winder. As I still have the winder (survived multiple ME-Supers and emigrating from the UK to the USA) I kinda would like to get another one. I loved that combo - not sure I've ever had a camera as good as that package.

The first one I had needed PCB repairs/replacement which was done by Pentax in Harrow . I later made the mistake (in retrospect) of selling it when I went digital. A second one that my father (inveterate camera buyer/seller) gave me did not survive emigrating to the US - yes I know, what was I thinking!

I can see there are many available but I'm wondering about how hard it is to find a good one. Reading on here there seem to be issues related to the sheer age of the camera. Was my experience with the PCB typical/unusual ? Given that in my case this was "only" after probably 10yrs.

Any buying advice ? Is it a lottery ? Any things I should look out - bearing in mind I'll probably be trawling fleabay.

And yes I know - choosing a camera based on a winder that hasn't wound any film in decades is a bit crazy
There's plenty around, and I decided to take the risk, buy one cheap in good cosmetic condition and send it to Harrow Technical. £20 for the cam and £70 for the service. Doubtless you could find one for less than £20 if you look around. I'd definitely recommend buying cheap and servicing whilst Harrow Technical still exists.
01-18-2017, 10:18 AM   #25

Original Poster
Pentax ME Super - Me again

I have a cunning plan - do let me know if it is Baldrick level stupid.

If I decide to buy an ME Super I can buy one here in the US or in the UK via my enabler over there (nephew). As discussed previously buying one on eBay can/will be something of a lottery. If I work on the proviso that I'm either going to send it to Eric(?) here in the US or the Pentax repair company in Harrow, would it be correct on my part that they can fix anything that might be broken/ working poorly/ need replacing within the standard fee they might quote for working on these cameras. I understand that they won't take a total dog and make it bark but would there be a reasonable hope that any standard fee would cover most things that might be wrong with it ? I'm assuming that the basic camera has a working meter and the film advance and shutter mech is basically working.

Bit of a long shot but as I've no experience with either repair company I dunno. So any experience with either company would be useful to hear. Thanks..
01-18-2017, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rjm007 Quote
I have a cunning plan - do let me know if it is Baldrick level stupid.
A standard CLA (clean lube adjust) will usually not cover any other parts replacements.

For instance I bought a non-working original Asahi Pentax that needed a CLA but also a replacement shutter curtain. The total cost - to me, was much more than reasonable.

BTW, whereabouts in Cali are you?
01-18-2017, 08:06 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had to retire the MESuper I've owned since new in 1984, despite Eric's best efforts to keep it going. The electronics suffer from cascading failures (fix one fault and the next one down the line fails). In it's place I'm using a very nice SuperPROGRAM Eric CLA'ed for me. $110 all-in.

I do have more film cameras than I can use, but the SuperPROGRAM is a favorite.
01-19-2017, 07:05 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I picked up a truly mint ME SE on ebay that I probably could have started using right away. I decided to send it to Eric first anyway for the full treatment, CLA, light seals, and bumper. That was back in September I think and the CLA was quoted as $65 and I think the total for all the work was $85. The original price on the camera was $23 shipped, so I have $108 in an ME SE that was mint to begin with and is now "better than new" as they say.

I also have two ME Supers. One belonged to my best friend's grandfather, purchased new by him. After he died, it went to my friend's dad where it remained in storage for a dozen or so years until his father also died this past fall. My buddy was cleaning out closets and storage areas around his dad's house and found it and brought it to me along with many other goodies (MX, 300mm f4 Super Tak, bellows, etc.) I gave him what we agreed upon as fair market value based on ebay pricing and the ME Super and MX have been perfect. I have another ME Super that I got in a lot of non-working Pentaxes for $15. It was a sticking mechanism under the base plate that I cleaned up and it also works perfectly.