Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2017, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #1

Pentax MZ-S is it worth getting?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm looking for a good 35mm film camera, and always wanted the MZ-S camera back when it released, too expensive for me back then, and had to settle with a Mz-5, loved the camera and use it a lot, specially in panoramic mode, since I was a film student back then.

So I want to know if it's worth getting one now? They're pretty cheap and I have a few old lenses, the only one good is a Tamron 14mm that was about $1,200 CDN back then.
Is the battery still being made and easy to find? Which battery uses? And which are the best lenses I can use with it?

This were all taken with the MZ-5 and positive film.
Travel and Landscape | Flickr
WRC 2005 | Flickr

Thanks in advanced for any info.

Last edited by Pablo Villegas; 01-07-2017 at 02:41 PM.
01-07-2017, 02:45 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's certainly not a bad camera. It takes 2 x CR2 batteries which are easy to find.

I prefer the PZ-1P, as it's compatible with lenses that don't have aperture rings, is easier to configure, reaches a higher max shutter speed and flash sync speed, but lacks the cool exposure imprinting features and weight-reduction of the MZ-S. They're truly cameras from different eras.
01-07-2017, 02:50 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
It's certainly not a bad camera. It takes 2 x CR2 batteries which are easy to find.

I prefer the PZ-1P, as it's compatible with lenses that don't have aperture rings, is easier to configure, reaches a higher max shutter speed and flash sync speed, but lacks the cool exposure imprinting features and weight-reduction of the MZ-S. They're truly cameras from different eras.
Thanks! Those CR2 batteries are getting harder to find and expensive, my Mamiya 645 PRO TL uses that one.

I'm sorry, the Pentax I have is the ZX-5, just checked, I think I'll return to use that one. But I always wanted the MZ-S, still looks incredible.
01-07-2017, 02:53 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablo Villegas Quote
Thanks! Those CR2 batteries are getting harder to find and expensive, my Mamiya 645 PRO TL uses that one.

I'm sorry, the Pentax I have is the ZX-5, just checked, I think I'll return to use that one. But I always wanted the MZ-S, still looks incredible.
I won't begrudge you how expensive they are, other than that they'll probably last you a year or more, making them cheaper than film, but they're all over Amazon, if that's an option for you.

01-07-2017, 03:00 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Worth mentioning: rechargeable CR2s are available these days. They're not prohibitively expensive. I've used a pair in my ZX5n without problems.
01-07-2017, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
I won't begrudge you how expensive they are, other than that they'll probably last you a year or more, making them cheaper than film, but they're all over Amazon, if that's an option for you.
Thanks, yeah Amazon is an option, unless I'm in a hurry, it takes about 3 weeks to get here on the cheap shipping option, the most expensive gets here fast, but it's about $50 bucks. And most people selling them won't ship to Mexico, where I live.

I still haven't found the DLi90 battery in Amazon, that ships to Mexico, and buying one here with Pentax is very expensive, about $100 USD. So, I only have one battery for my Pentax 645D.
01-07-2017, 03:01 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, yeah Amazon is an option, unless I'm in a hurry, it takes about 3 weeks to get here on the cheap shipping option, the most expensive gets here fast, but it's about $50 bucks. And most people selling them won't ship to Mexico, where I live.

I still haven't found the DLi90 battery in Amazon, that ships to Mexico, and buying one here with Pentax is very expensive, about $100 USD. So, I only have one battery for my Pentax 645D.
Ouch, that does make Amazon a whole lot less convenient. I think rechargable CR2s are worth looking into, then. I have rechargable batteries for my PZ-1P. The only problem is finding the charger, with how rarely I need to charge it.

01-07-2017, 03:11 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks, yeah, I'll look for a CR2 charger with batteries in the Mexican eBay.

Which are the best lenses that will fit the Mz-S? I'll need a normal and a short tele for portraits.
01-07-2017, 03:15 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, yeah, I'll look for a CR2 charger with batteries in the Mexican eBay.

Which are the best lenses that will fit the Mz-S? I'll need a normal and a short tele for portraits.
Any K-mount lens with an aperture ring will fit. I quite like the FA Limited 43mm and FA Limited 77mm. Small, fairly fast, great rendering.
01-07-2017, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It's worth getting; contrary to lithedreamer, I prefer it to the PZ-1. I have less experience with the PZ-1, but I prefer the MZ-S size and shape, and the autofocus capabilities are quite a bit better.

If you got this crazy deal on Ebay, it would definitely be worth it:

Pentax MZ-S 35mm SLR Film Camera and 50mm f1.4 lens eBayv 27075050488 | eBay
01-07-2017, 03:25 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
It's worth getting; contrary to lithedreamer, I prefer it to the PZ-1. I have less experience with the PZ-1, but I prefer the MZ-S size and shape, and the autofocus capabilities are quite a bit better.

Pentax MZ-S 35mm SLR Film Camera and 50mm f1.4 lens eBayv 27075050488 | eBay
That's funny you should say that. I found the AF so much worse on the MZ-S as compared to the PZ-1p that I refused to use the AF at all. It was positively awful. The PZ-1p's AF seems comparable to my K-30's, if not as good as my K-1's.
01-07-2017, 03:28 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Oh, man! Someone did incredibly well.

Steve
01-07-2017, 03:39 PM   #13

Original Poster
Any K-mount lens with an aperture ring will fit. I quite like the FA Limited 43mm and FA Limited 77mm. Small, fairly fast, great rendering.
Thanks, I'll look for them.

---------- Post added 01-07-17 at 04:58 PM ----------

Wow, those lenses are expensive, as much as Pentax 645 FA lenses.
01-07-2017, 03:58 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Why does the mz-s require an aperture ring, is it to have Av or it doesn't work at all otherwise? I have a super program and with DA lenses it works in Tv and P (they're not called like that though...).

I haven't seen cr2 batteries in regular stores, but amazon and photo stores have them at reasonable prices. And with instax cameras being so popular (that's why I need cr2 batteries) I think they're going to become more common.

edit: Nice wrc pictures!
01-07-2017, 04:04 PM - 3 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
Why does the mz-s require an aperture ring, is it to have Av or it doesn't work at all otherwise? I have a super program and with DA lenses it works in Tv and P (they're not called like that though...).

I haven't seen cr2 batteries in regular stores, but amazon and photo stores have them at reasonable prices. And with instax cameras being so popular (that's why I need cr2 batteries) I think they're going to become more common.

edit: Nice wrc pictures!
It works the same way as your Super Program, Tv and P only.

---------- Post added 01-07-17 at 03:27 PM ----------

Thanks, I'll look for them.

---------- Post added 01-07-17 at 04:58 PM ----------

Wow, those lenses are expensive, as much as Pentax 645 FA lenses.
I guess? They're much cheaper than the D-FA zooms, but hold their own against them in the professional and amateur work I do. You asked for the 'best glass', after all. If you want a cheaper alternative to FA 43, there are plenty of great 50mm lenses out there. There's not a great alternative to the FA Limited 77mm that's less expensive (just a few that are more expensive, like the FA* 85mm).

This is actually part of the reason I like using the PZ-1p instead, as it lets me use newer glass without aperture rings in aperture priority. I know some people think it's too sharp, but I think if you can control the lighting, the D-FA 100mm Macro is an excellent value.