Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
01-10-2017, 09:34 PM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"New Kodachrome" would scare anyone who remembers "new coke"...

01-10-2017, 11:16 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
When Polaroid vanished, I never thought Iʻd see the Phoenix rise again as it has via Instax and the Impossible Project. And then when Kodak released a new Super8 camera and Vision3 AND Tri-X reversal Super8 stock, I had to check that that wasnʻt a hoax or fake news too.

As a photo, video, and art teacher, if Kodachrome was ever made again, I would seriously consider bringing Super8 into my curriculum, prepaid mailers and all. And nothing short of large format is more stunning that 120 Kodachrome. Aluminum prints are the closest thing Iʻve seen to the old Ciba/Ilfochrome prints.

I agree with the skeptics that it seems highly, highly unlikely, but I would jump on bricks of Kodachrome even with the availability of Velvia and Ektachrome. You havenʻt lived if you havenʻt looked at a well exposed medium format Kodachrome shot using a polarizer thru a Pentax 5.5x loupe on a light table.

Pentax 5.5x Loupe 60051 B&H Photo Video

It is to color what silver nitrate films were to black and white cinema. If you ever get the chance to view one of those from the silver screen era at a specially outfitted theatre/projection booth, like the one at UCLA, put it on your bucket list.
01-11-2017, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
JJ Abrams is in the same camp as Quentin!

Phil.
Last year, my 36 year old son and I went to see "Star Wars - The Force Awakens". During the end credits, I was very surprised to see the familiar Kodak logo pop up. Apparently, the movie was shot on film and transferred to digital for projection. This was the first film of the franchise shot under Disney ownership.

This is a bit ironic, since "Star Wars - Episode 1" was one of the first (if not THE first) feature film shot entirely on digital. George Lucas had Sony create a new digital video camera whose frame rate matched that of film. At that time, very few theaters were equipped to project digitally. So, Lucas knew that, while he shot the film on digital and did all the editing in digital, he would still have to provide film prints to theaters for projection.
01-11-2017, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote

And nothing short of large format is more stunning that 120 Kodachrome. Aluminum prints are the closest thing Iʻve seen to the old Ciba/Ilfochrome prints.
they will need to bring back Cibachrome as well (I loved doing Cibachrome prints they were spectacular when well done)

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I agree with the skeptics that it seems highly, highly unlikely, but I would jump on bricks of Kodachrome even with the availability of Velvia and Ektachrome. You havenʻt lived if you havenʻt looked at a well exposed medium format Kodachrome shot using a polarizer thru a Pentax 5.5x loupe on a light table.

It is to color what silver nitrate films were to black and white cinema. If you ever get the chance to view one of those from the silver screen era at a specially outfitted theatre/projection booth, like the one at UCLA, put it on your bucket list.
agreed and i would love to shoot it again but for all the reasons posted i don't see it happening. unlike E6 there is just no small batch option and if it wasn't viable for the last remaining lab to do (Dwaynes) then i see no hope.

As for seeing a silver nitrate print of an old film is the way to really see them. I saw so many old classicas back in the 70s when the second run and art houses were at their apex. you could catch 10-15 different films in a week all in the same theater.

01-11-2017, 12:50 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
"New Kodachrome" would scare anyone who remembers "new coke"...
At least this time there would be Reasons. If they had changed to an E6 process version when film was in its heyday, you'd have more of a point.
01-11-2017, 01:27 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
At least this time there would be Reasons. If they had changed to an E6 process version when film was in its heyday, you'd have more of a point.
thing is it's not Kodachrome without the original process, archival aspects are one of the selling points. there are other films which fall in the same tonality range on first development
01-11-2017, 01:44 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

E-6 films are more archival than Kodachrome in the light, e.g. in projection.
Recent E-6 films are said to equal or surpass Kodachrome in dark storage.

Chris

01-11-2017, 02:51 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
E-6 films are more archival than Kodachrome in the light, e.g. in projection.
Recent E-6 films are said to equal or surpass Kodachrome in dark storage.

Chris
Chris, Where have you found info that supports this? Anecdotally, I have Kodachrome slides dating back to the 50's that have been both projected and mostly stored that show almost no fading or degradation compared to any of my E6 of the same age and handling.
01-11-2017, 02:52 PM   #39
Pentaxian

The very best news is that they consider it as something worthwhile investigating. To me that means they do not see the film market actually dying. If it came out I might shot some 120 as I have only ever shot it in 135 and for that I shot 25 64 and 200. There seems to be more good news than bad in the analogue world as far as photography goes other than the loss of Holga. Next winter I will be retired and expect to spend many winter days in the darkroom.

In the 70s there was a pro lab in Edmonton that did all their E6 or was it E4 back then by hand in tanks. It would be neat if it comes back and I would shoot some but to me it is not important, that companies are still interested in producing film is.

Acros 100,Delta 100, Portra 130, TMX 400 and HP5 and large sheets of X-Ray and I am happy. Large as in 8X10 and 14X17 which cuts nicely into 5X7 and Whole Plate.
01-11-2017, 03:32 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wilhelm-Research dark/light fading of E6 films - Photo.net Film and Processing: http://photo.net/film-and-processing-forum/00YApy

Wilhelm Imaging Research: http://www.wilhelm-research.com

Chris
01-11-2017, 04:55 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The problem with storing digital is the progress of technology. What will be able to read those digital files in 100 years? 50? 20?
I have a day off soon and I hope to take the old dead MacBook in to see if some expert can power it up and get old photos & videos off the hard drive. I use a cloud now, but to this day, after years of dead computers - I still get prints made of the shots worth keeping.
01-11-2017, 05:02 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
The very best news is that they consider it as something worthwhile investigating. To me that means they do not see the film market actually dying. If it came out I might shot some 120 as I have only ever shot it in 135 and for that I shot 25 64 and 200. There seems to be more good news than bad in the analogue world as far as photography goes other than the loss of Holga. Next winter I will be retired and expect to spend many winter days in the darkroom.

In the 70s there was a pro lab in Edmonton that did all their E6 or was it E4 back then by hand in tanks. It would be neat if it comes back and I would shoot some but to me it is not important, that companies are still interested in producing film is.

Acros 100,Delta 100, Portra 130, TMX 400 and HP5 and large sheets of X-Ray and I am happy. Large as in 8X10 and 14X17 which cuts nicely into 5X7 and Whole Plate.
I gather that by X-ray you mean repurposed X-ray film? As a doctor who can still remember looking at physical X-rays, I'm interested. How do you expose that? What is the effective ISO and how does it behave, given that the intended input for which the film is designed is not visible light?
01-11-2017, 06:35 PM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I gather that by X-ray you mean repurposed X-ray film? As a doctor who can still remember looking at physical X-rays, I'm interested. How do you expose that? What is the effective ISO and how does it behave, given that the intended input for which the film is designed is not visible light?
It is an orthochromatic film, in x-rays it was exposed to coloured lights on the film holder that were affected . I use Fuji HT Green and shoot it at 400, develop in HC110 for 5.5 minutes. As it is orthochromatic one can develop under dimmed safelights. It's biggest advantage is the cost, a 4X5 sheet is cheaper than a single frame of TriX in 35mm.

I have shot it in three different large fomats. Use just like regular film but expect the skies to be light and boring.
01-11-2017, 07:09 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think this stuff would have stiff competition some of the modern films. It's a polarizing film, but something like Ektar or Velvia has incredible colour and detail.

@pathdoc, it is re-purposed xray film! Here's a good page about it.
Working with Large Format X-Ray Film...Continued ? Mat Marrash
01-11-2017, 07:57 PM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I think this stuff would have stiff competition some of the modern films. It's a polarizing film, but something like Ektar or Velvia has incredible colour and detail.

@pathdoc, it is re-purposed xray film! Here's a good page about it.
Working with Large Format X-Ray Film...Continued ? Mat Marrash
Yep Mat was a big promoter of it but I think he now shoots mostly regular films. Lots of info on it as well in the Large Photography Forum