Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2017, 03:08 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax KX motor drive camera

I've been a Pentax owner for decades. My 1st SLR was a Pentax KX, purchased in the early 1970s. It wasn't until a week or so ago that I learned there were actually two Pentax KX models, a standard and a motor drive. So I checked my camera and box and lo and behold, I own the motor version. Appears it is quite rare.

I've tried to research the current value of the motor version but could find nothing. My questions:

1) Is it worth selling or holding, even though I don't shoot film any more?

2) What is the current value of the camera in very good condition w/box?

01-18-2017, 03:28 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The value can't be estimated because
1. So few ever change hands
2. If you do find a collector the value is whatever he is willing to pay

If you also have the motor drive and D-Cell flash bracket you can set your price.

Maybe Baard-Elnar will see this. I believe he has a Spotmatic Motor.
01-18-2017, 03:36 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The value can't be estimated because
1. So few ever change hands
2. If you do find a collector the value is whatever he is willing to pay

If you also have the motor drive and D-Cell flash bracket you can set your price.

Maybe Baard-Elnar will see this. I believe he has a Spotmatic Motor.
Unfortunately, only camera and box but I believe there are few around with box/camera in great shape.

I understand the collectors market. It's worth what whoever will pay for it. I'm just trying to get some idea of the price range.
01-18-2017, 04:08 PM - 4 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi,

Lucky you! The KX Motor was available as a special order from 1975 and until 1977. It used basically the same motor drive unit as the Spotmatic and battery pack.
As Paul wrote, it is really difficult to estimate the value of those cameras that don't sell very often. That beein said, the KX MD do show up now and then, what you never find, is the KM MD.

I do have the KX Motor drive version in my collection, with a box, motor, grip, charger etc. I didn't find the motor drive togheter with the camera, but aquired that in a separate buy. The camera came to me in 2013, after a service stop at Erics magic desk. My KX MD is lurking in the background in this photo.

Price is hard, it depends on the mechanical and visual condition. And even if it looks great, it would require a CLA to be put to use. I don't even want to guess, but I can say what I paid in 2013: Camera and the CLA was all togheter just short of 300USD + shipping.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
01-18-2017, 04:23 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Hi,

Lucky you! The KX Motor was available as a special order from 1975 and until 1977. It used basically the same motor drive unit as the Spotmatic and battery pack.
As Paul wrote, it is really difficult to estimate the value of those cameras that don't sell very often. That beein said, the KX MD do show up now and then, what you never find, is the KM MD.

I do have the KX Motor drive version in my collection, with a box, motor, grip, charger etc. I didn't find the motor drive togheter with the camera, but aquired that in a separate buy. The camera came to me in 2013, after a service stop at Erics magic desk. My KX MD is lurking in the background in this photo.

Price is hard, it depends on the mechanical and visual condition. And even if it looks great, it would require a CLA to be put to use. I don't even want to guess, but I can say what I paid in 2013: Camera and the CLA was all togheter just short of 300USD + shipping.
Thanks for the information. Is a black body more rare/valuable than the silver? Mine is black. What's interesting is I didn't special order the camera, just purchased it mail order back in the 70s. All I remember is I wanted a fully mechanical body, thus the KX.

I don't know if I really want to sell. Always think I'll start shooting b&w. By the way, nice collection. Mine looks like the KX on the left.

---------- Post added 01-18-17 at 06:36 PM ----------

Guess I'm a little eclectic. Bought the KX with kit M 50/1.7, then the K 30/2.8, followed by the Sigma Pantel 135/2.8, then the Vivitar Series 1 90-180/4.5 flat field zoom. Still own all of them.

Last edited by onlineflyer; 01-18-2017 at 04:38 PM.
01-18-2017, 06:01 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So expensive and all that motor drive hardware to get only ~2 frames per second!
By then competitors had inexpensive compact 2 fps power winders for their SLRs...

Chris
01-19-2017, 01:27 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
Thanks for the information. Is a black body more rare/valuable than the silver? Mine is black. What's interesting is I didn't special order the camera, just purchased it mail order back in the 70s. All I remember is I wanted a fully mechanical body, thus the KX.

I don't know if I really want to sell. Always think I'll start shooting b&w. By the way, nice collection. Mine looks like the KX on the left.[COLOR="Silver"]
Hard to tell, in those days black was as "normal" as silver, but I would have been willing to pay more for a black copy. Btw the motor drive and battery grip tends to not show up often, and it is difficult to find the right motor drive. And the sellers tend to ask really high prices for an item that really doesn't work anymore.

There are two versions of the drive, model 7001 and model 7012. The major difference is in the electrical connection. Connecting the incorrect drive could cause a short. The drives comes in all black or chrome / silver.

There are, of course, also two models of the battery grip. From what I know, you can use the grips on both drives without problems. But the rechargeable ten cell NiCad batteries cannot be found anywhere. There is a battery adapter for eight AA alkaline batteries, 1,5A. or one could build something with a 3D printer?

Please show us a photo of your camera.

I do support you in getting the nice camera out on the road again. Load it with film, fresh batteries and take it for a spin. That should also uncover if you need a CLA.

Cheers,
Baard-Einar.

01-19-2017, 08:27 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, Baard-Einar. I did find a web site that described the motor drives and the difference between the two. I'm not a collector, so I will not be in search of the drive and battery. I'll leave that to the next owner, whenever that occurs.

Here are some pictures of my camera/box. I just noticed two small dimples on the bottom plate that I never really noticed before. Oh well, it shows the camera was used. Otherwise, It is in nice condition.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Last edited by onlineflyer; 01-19-2017 at 08:38 AM.
01-19-2017, 08:49 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Also noteworthy is the split image finder. There are fewer KX delivered with split image than with microprism ring and matte / center spot.
01-19-2017, 08:58 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Funny, I thought all KXs came with split image until yesterday. I really love the viewfinder in this camera. I really never knew what I was buying back then, I just ordered a black KX through mail order and this is what I received.
Attached Images

Last edited by onlineflyer; 01-19-2017 at 09:24 AM.
01-20-2017, 01:50 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It looks like you are missing the battery cover. I would really recommend a CLA.

Cool that you have the documentation and box.
01-20-2017, 07:04 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
It looks like you are missing the battery cover. I would really recommend a CLA.

Cool that you have the documentation and box.
Thanks, the battery cover is in my case, along with the battery.
09-22-2019, 04:15 PM   #13
Forum Member

I have a KX motor drive and two motor drives, but no battery grip. So I never tried it with motor drive attached.

Do you know if it is possible to use a simulated external power source?
09-26-2019, 05:20 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dantonvb Quote
I have a KX motor drive and two motor drives, but no battery grip. So I never tried it with motor drive attached.

Do you know if it is possible to use a simulated external power source?
it uses a 12V energy source so you would need to supply that power via the connector on the side of the motor drive. Maybe some guide would help figure out where the + and - goes. There is also an 110V/220V external power source available. it shows up on Ebay once a year maybe.

The orignal battery pack is NiCd-batteries and those cannot be found anymore.

Read this page for more info: MD cameras
09-26-2019, 10:38 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is an original 12v battery for the grip.It still holds a charge,dated 1981.If you do find a grip,I believe you can use a Hasselblad NH-5 battery set
for the grip.The AA adapters are scarce too, for the grip.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo