Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2017, 09:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Super Program/ME Super experiment

I have a Super Program on the way and I have a curious question that I will soon find the answer to. Has anyone ever tried to swap the backs between the Super Program and the ME or ME Super?

I also have a destroyed ME Super in a heap and I intend to try to discover if the mounting hardware for the Super Program (stud and threaded insert) will fit into the screw holes underneath the skin of the ME Super. If so, will they be located in such a way to allow correct mounting of the grip to the ME Super?

Has anyone here ever tried either of these options? This should be interesting. I'll report back. If it works, I'll report back AFTER I have purchased several grips/backs or parts bodies before you all rush out and buy them all up, driving up the prices.

02-14-2017, 10:14 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Probably not. The bodies are similar, but not identical. That being said, they do take the same power winder.

Steve
02-16-2017, 10:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So the Super Program arrived totad and WOW what a camera! I currently own 9 different bodies including the K, SV, MX, ME, ME Super, K1000, and KX. In my opinion the Super Program is at least as solid as any of them. It feels as nice to hold, handel and use as the LX and just has a very special feel to it when I actuate the shutter. It certainly feels more solid and better built than the ME and ME Super and much more refined than the KX and K1000. I really think that this might become my favorite Pentax. Not only that but this one is in utterly mint condition and came with a Tiffen polarizer, Cosmicar 1:4 70-200, Cosmicar 3.5-4.5 28-80MM, Vivitar 283, Takumar 58mm sun shade, and a nice bag all for only $58 shipped!

Anyway, back on topic. The film doors are completely interchangeable between the ME/ME Super and the Super Program. The insert and stud for the front grip are located in a position where the MEs have no holes drilled or tapped so I would have to purchase a Super Program parts body to pull the parts from and attempt to install them first into the ME Super chassis that I have to see if I could make it work without risking my perfect Super Program and pefrect ME Super to do this. If I can make it work on the parts bodies, then I'll remove the skin from my mint ME Super and drill and tap it for the front grip, install the Super Program back and have an ergonomically enhanced ME Super.
02-17-2017, 11:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It sounds like maybe you should just stick with the Super Program and forget about the ME Super, since you seem to like the Super Program so much!

02-17-2017, 11:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
With 9 bodies from across Pentax's history, all of them working, I am just trying to get each of them configured the way that I like them. Admittedly, this latest acquisition will probably be the one I reach for first but I am still customizing my collection to be exactly what I want. I don't think that I will mess with the ME but because the ME Super is intended to be my "other" primary film body, and because I can literally get them in good condition on ebay for about $15, I don't have any issues with poking holes in this one to add the front grip. Besides, if it works out, I'll eventually be sending it to Eric for CLA at which point I won't consider it to be such a disposable body anymore.

My ME had a CLA in September and is in almost new condition. He has my K right now for CLA and a shutter curtain replacement. I think I'll be sending him my SV next for a mirror replacement and CLA, followed by my KX, K1000 SE, and both MXs, all for CLA, seals, and bumpers. Since the ME Super and this Super Program seem to be working fine for now and still have good bumpers, I'll probably get to them last. My LX is literally in as-new condition so I haven't decided yet if I want that one done. It's that whole "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" thing.
02-26-2017, 10:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update on the experiment. It failed. The stud and insert that hold the front grip on the Super Program are not a simple matter of unscrewing them to remove. Then there is the problem that they also will not simply screw into a couple holes drilled and tapped into the ME Super. Although the backs are interchangeable, without the front grip, there is little benefit in doing this. I'll just keep the ME Super as is and maybe leave the 40mm f2.8 permanently mounted and carry it around on the belt clip looking all photogeeky.