Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2017, 09:24 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Film Neglect - recognizing the signs and treatment

They say the first stages to recovery and resolving problems is acknowledgement and admission.

So, this past weekend, I grabbed the bulk film loader, which had been sitting idle way to long in the closet, and winded off a roll of B&W (Arista EDU 200) I had purchased some time back.

My mission was to test an LX I popped off eBay for not too much money. Well used, but seemingly functional. I needed to test it.

The subject was my poor dog. She's a good sport and didn't seem to mind the sudden modeling requirement, but this is when I realized I had a problem. I took a picture, and I dropped the camera down to look at the preview on the back LCD panel.... Did I REALLY just do that? Wow. I've been shooting too much digital! I've got a problem!

So, my recovery plan is currently in progress. I've got a cart open at Freestyle, and I'm getting up to date chemicals, some more film, paper etc. I know it's going to be a slow process to recovery, and I know I'm addicted to digital for a lot of reasons, but must have film back in my life. Then I think I'll be whole again, and on my way to recovery.

So, any suggestions of favorite B&W films/papers in today's world? I gravitate to my old stand-bys - D76, Dektol etc. Quite a range on price from the Arista to the Tmax 400 - no idea how Foma, Kentmere stack up - see we have some Ilford still and Rollie is in the game - where's the Plus X?.... Long for the days when I could shoot B&W or E6 slide for pennies a roll, or so it seemed.

Anyway, wish me luck. Recovery is never an easy proposition, but I think I'm in the right place. And oh, yes, the roll I shot this past weekend developed just fine (D76 1:1), and I'll hopefully have some in focus shots to print out this upcoming weekend.

02-16-2017, 11:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Check the $/100 foot in your shop, foma needs data sheet PDF, for ISO Kentmere, HP5+, etc Tx400 etc all still ok.
Dog needs bone to distress.
Micro balance allows homebrews easier.

http://www.foma.cz/en/fomapan-400 250ISO
02-16-2017, 11:23 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Formapan and Arista.edu are the same film, different packaging. I now use HC110 exclusively for developing film other than I still have some Technidol for doing Technical Pan. I shoot multiple formats and see that I shoot 6 or so emulsions from four manufactures. Enjoy your return to film photography
02-16-2017, 06:22 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
While I used all Kodak in decades past, I now find Ilford better for my use and processing. My favorite is now a Ilford PanF (50 ISO) replacing my old favorite PanatomicX from Kodak. I also have better luck with Ilford HP5+ than the modern TriX, which I used to use a lot. I keep a bulk loader filled with each, and a third with FP4+ (ISO 125), and experiment with Delta 100 and 3200, which is nice for very low light. (I used to do a lot of TriX at 1200, developed in Acufine.)
I develop one or two rolls a week, and so added a single reel 250 ml Nikor tank, and normally use Rodinal at 25x1 dilution as a 1-shot developer; so for one roll of film only 9.6 ml Rodinal used - a bottle keeps a long time. I've switched to an EcoPro fixer for its low odor. They still make Acufine and it's replenisher,so if I start shooting more I may try it again.
Freestyle photo is a good source for film and chemistry. I have an order from them on the way now.

02-16-2017, 06:35 PM   #5
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I took a picture, and I dropped the camera down to look at the preview on the back LCD panel.... Did I REALLY just do that? Wow. I've been shooting too much digital! I've got a problem!
I had a similar problem with a Leica M8 which I had a chance to handle a few years ago (it was actually Michael Reichmann's of Luminous Landscape). I had owned Leica Ms before; and after taking a picture with his M8 I went to wind the film.

Last edited by cpk; 02-16-2017 at 07:03 PM.
02-16-2017, 07:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
I took a picture, and I dropped the camera down to look at the preview on the back LCD panel....
Did I REALLY just do that? Wow. I've been shooting too much digital! I've got a problem!

It could have been worse. What film photographer hasn't opened the back mid-roll?

Chris
02-17-2017, 10:36 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
It could have been worse. What film photographer hasn't opened the back mid-roll?

Chris
Indeed! And as I was rummaging around the other day, I picked up an "empty" tin for a 100' roll, opened it, and #$@#4, something there! Further investigation was already exposed film... Talk about an oh shi* moment though!

Thanks for the replies everyone, and joining me for a laugh

02-18-2017, 12:27 PM   #8
Pentaxian

So let's say you get back into film for the long term. And like most people it's not one medium or the other. You'll shoot both film and digital. And let's assume you'll shoot digital more overall and there could be periods inactivity in shooting film.

With that in mind, consider a film development strategy that supports periods of inactivity by having a long shelf life thereby saving you money by not having to remix a new batch of developer that expired due to age rather than capacity.

One-shot developers that have a long shelf life supports this kind of film use plus makes life easier in the long run when your "darkroom" goes off-line. That can result in a more consistent development workflow too. And you have an option of a "figital" work flow to produce prints in lieu of an enlarger wet print if you want. If you do your own printing with a digital camera, then a "figital" workflow works out well there.

Films like 125PX ( Plus-X) are long gone. Same with 320TXP ( Tri-X Pan) except in sheet film. So don't expect to find the verity you once knew. Pick a developer, slow and fast film and stick to it for a while. Learn it well and make it your go-to process before branching out with other developers and films. You can make great pictures from all films and developers. In other words, if you're getting bad results it most like you then the film or developer in general.

Good luck and have fun.
02-19-2017, 08:13 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
So let's say you get back into film for the long term. And like most people it's not one medium or the other. You'll shoot both film and digital. And let's assume you'll shoot digital more overall and there could be periods inactivity in shooting film.

With that in mind, consider a film development strategy that supports periods of inactivity by having a long shelf life thereby saving you money by not having to remix a new batch of developer that expired due to age rather than capacity.

One-shot developers that have a long shelf life supports this kind of film use plus makes life easier in the long run when your "darkroom" goes off-line. That can result in a more consistent development workflow too. And you have an option of a "figital" work flow to produce prints in lieu of an enlarger wet print if you want. If you do your own printing with a digital camera, then a "figital" workflow works out well there.

Films like 125PX ( Plus-X) are long gone. Same with 320TXP ( Tri-X Pan) except in sheet film. So don't expect to find the verity you once knew. Pick a developer, slow and fast film and stick to it for a while. Learn it well and make it your go-to process before branching out with other developers and films. You can make great pictures from all films and developers. In other words, if you're getting bad results it most like you then the film or developer in general.

Good luck and have fun.

I like the idea of one-shot developers and not getting stuck with expired chemicals, and had looked right past this option - back to old habits. Absolutely will still be doing digital, and more of it than film too. I think having the ability to easily handle the film workflow and hybrid "figital" as you describe is possibly key to keeping active with it. The ease of digital and near zero cost before printing makes it so easy to forget the qualities of film. But going back through B&W prints, film really is a different medium with a different feel, and therein lies the continued appeal.

Thanks