Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 120 Likes Search this Thread
03-19-2017, 09:47 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
I have a copy in not the best shape. Would love to have one for the AP and for the S as well as user guides for the Asahiflex.
In one of my first threads here, I posted the Asahi Pentax reviews from 1958 issues of Modern Photography and Popular Photography that might be of interest.

04-09-2017, 05:34 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Asahiflex Lens hoods

I have tried to find out about what sort of accessories were available for the Ashiflex. Accoring to the old original sales brouchures you could by filters, hoods, bellows, microscope adapters, extention tubes etc.

I think I have most of the hoods that were available. In the next couple of posts I want to describe each one.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-09-2017, 05:39 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Lens hood - Takumar 50mm f3.5

This has been the item that has puzzled me. I have not been able to find any sort of original hood for the Asahi-Kogaku Takumar 50mm f3.5 The only hood I've found is the Walz slip-on hood 32mm diamter. It comes in all black, and also in chrome.

Hight is 26mm and front diameter is 48mm. It comes in a nice brown leather case without any markings.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-09-2017, 05:45 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Lens hood Takumar 58mm

The lens hood that show up often for sale is for the Asahi-Kogaku Takumar 58mm f2.4.

The lens hood comes in a nice leather case, with room for an additonal filter. Mounting diamater is 39mm, hight 25mm, outmost diameter 50mm. It splits into to parts, to accomodate a slip-in filter, approx dia 42mm.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by Baard-Einar; 04-09-2017 at 05:58 AM.
04-09-2017, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Lens hood - Takumar 83mm

The Asahiflex had a really nice 83mm f1.9 available. Those lenses are fairly rare. Its lens hood is also rare for the same reason.

My copy of the hood comes in a leather case. The hood measures dia 49mm, hight 35mm with dia 60mm on the outer end. Unlike all the other lens hoods, the text is printed on the side of the chrome section of the lens.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-09-2017, 05:57 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Lens hood - Takumar 100mm

For the tiny Asahi-Kogaku Takumar 100mm f3.5 an equally tiny hood was available.

The hood came in a small brown leather case.

Measurements are: Dia 33,5mm, hight 37mm and outer dia 46mm.

Like all the others the hood opens to accomodate a slip-in filter. I do not have such a filter except for a Kenko Ø33,5 Y2.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-09-2017, 06:03 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Lens hood - Takumar 135mm

The last hood I have in my collection is for the Asahi-Kogaku Takumar 135mm f3.5

This hood also comes in a leather case. which I don't have in my collection yet.

Measurements: Dia 43mm. Hight 45mm, and outermost diameter 55mm. The slip-in filter is 50mm.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-09-2017, 06:27 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

very cool!
04-09-2017, 06:47 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Really neat thread! I'm glad someone is assembling the early Pentax camera gear.

mrs monochrome rolls her eyes when 'another #$%^&* old camera comes in the door.
04-10-2017, 04:25 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

By happenstance I came across these two cameras for sale by Fred Sherfy. I had money in my PayPal account. These are Fred's photos - I'll do a small study when the get here. Both are working. The Tower 22 needs shutter speeds adjusted. Now I'll be looking for Lens caps etc. The Tower 23 has it's leather case, including the strap. It looks like the middle version with the triangles on the top cover. The Tower 23 is in collector condition. It was used in the famous book.
Attached Images

Last edited by monochrome; 04-10-2017 at 05:08 PM.
04-10-2017, 04:34 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
By happenstance I came across these two cameras for sale by Fred Sherfy. I had money in my PayPal account. These are Fred's photos - I'll do a small study when the get here. Both are working. It the Tower 22 needs shutter speeds adjusted. Now I'll be looking for Lens caps etc. The Tower 23 has it's leather case, including the strap. The Tower 23 is in collector condition. It was used in the famous book.
Ah, so you were the buyer! Cool! They have been sitting unsold for some time on ebay, good that they found a home.

Fred told me that the Tower 22 was his favorite camera, he used it for close-ups. This is what he wrote:

As a biologist, I really enjoyed camping in remote places and doing photography or unusual plants. I use to take two Asahiflex IIA bodies (usually Tower 22) and use the Asahflex tubes, bellows, and either the 83mm or the 58mm - the 100mm was good, but I thought the 135mm too heavy. Anyway, I fell in love with the close-up photography and have hundreds of photos taken with the Asahiflex while backpacking.
04-10-2017, 05:17 PM - 2 Likes   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Ah, so you were the buyer! Cool! They have been sitting unsold for some time on ebay, good that they found a home.

Fred told me that the Tower 22 was his favorite camera, he used it for close-ups. This is what he wrote:

As a biologist, I really enjoyed camping in remote places and doing photography or unusual plants. I use to take two Asahiflex IIA bodies (usually Tower 22) and use the Asahflex tubes, bellows, and either the 83mm or the 58mm - the 100mm was good, but I thought the 135mm too heavy. Anyway, I fell in love with the close-up photography and have hundreds of photos taken with the Asahiflex while backpacking.
I've had a couple nice conversations with Fred in which he reiterated the story, and taking Macros of a specific succulent and salamander in a Glade. I'll send these to Eric and use them rather than putting them on a shelf for twenty years.

I hadn't really planned to start on the Asahflexes but these two deserve to be cared for. I guess I'm in now. I wasn't using the DA Limiteds anyway .
04-10-2017, 07:06 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I can't believe I still don't have an Asahiflex yet!
04-11-2017, 03:52 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I can't believe I still don't have an Asahiflex yet!
How come? Run and get one!
04-11-2017, 04:34 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Takumar 100mm m37 or m42?

Just a heads-up, there is a sales post on ebay for a Asahi Kogaku Takumar 100mm f3.5 claiming it is a rare, never seen m42 version.

I asked the seller to post photos of the mount, and those pictures show what to me looks like the original m32-m42 adaptor mounted on the lens.

Look at this on eBay Very Rare M42 Asahi Kogaku Takumar 100mm F3.5 Preset Chrome M42 mount VGC | eBay

Enclosed are photos of my adaptor mounted on the 100mm.
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
E5823  Photo