Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 120 Likes Search this Thread
02-03-2022, 01:51 AM   #166
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Solterra Quote
Hi there, I’m new to this forum, but joined specifically for this informative thread!

I finally dug the cameras out, and was happy to discover an Asihiflex IIa in amazing, seemingly function condition, complete with the 58mm and 135mm lenses and caps. The body is an m42 variety, so both lenses have the adapter rings. Leather camera case, and leather case for the 135 as well. Oh, and the manual too!
Hello.
Welcom to the forum!

Please post some pictures of the camera body. All available information points out that the factory never made m42-version of the Asahiflex, but somehow it was modified afterwards. The front from the Asahi Pentax (AP) will easily fit on the Asahiflex, but there is a need to make a small cut-out to make it all work. It would have been so cool to find any original documents from the purchase to see how this was sold, but that is not easy since this is a long time ago now.

Cheers
Baard-Einar

02-03-2022, 04:57 PM - 6 Likes   #167

QuoteOriginally posted by womble Quote
Great rediscovery. You must be pleased. I'm sure you realise this, but you could take the adaptor off one of the lenses, use that to attach the tubes to the body and the lens ought to fit the other end.
Yes, very pleased - it is a beautiful piece of of mid-century technology, and it is proudly displayed. And yes, of course that would be an option! The adapters are very tight, so not something I'd do often though...

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
Please post some pictures of the camera body. All available information points out that the factory never made m42-version of the Asahiflex, but somehow it was modified afterwards. The front from the Asahi Pentax (AP) will easily fit on the Asahiflex, but there is a need to make a small cut-out to make it all work. It would have been so cool to find any original documents from the purchase to see how this was sold, but that is not easy since this is a long time ago now.

Interesting! And, now that you point it out, I see how the bottom of the lens mount is angled rather than square like the m37 mounts... I didn't notice any super-obvious cut-outs though... Please see pictures uploaded.
Attached Images

03-11-2022, 02:43 PM - 6 Likes   #168
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have finally managed to get that 83mm, and now it has been to a spa treatment and it looks and feels really smooth. With the orignal hood, and the Asahiflex dressed in brown: ready to go!

It has 20 aperture blades.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G781B  Photo 
07-13-2022, 12:43 AM - 6 Likes   #169
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Asahiflex in original box

A few years back i've bought this asahiflex IIb in its original box it came the 135mm takumar wich als had its original packing complete with the brown cardboard protection packing (not in the picture) now recently i've added a IIA to the collection. Unless someone makes me an offer i can't refuse this is as far as i'll go on collecting asahiflexes. still glad i've found these two. Now i'll only need an S and K? to fill the gap to the H2. Maybe one day....

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NIKON D7100  Photo   
07-13-2022, 01:10 PM   #170
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thatcameraguy Quote
A few years back i've bought this asahiflex IIb in its original box it came the 135mm takumar wich als had its original packing complete with the brown cardboard protection packing (not in the picture) now recently i've added a IIA to the collection. Unless someone makes me an offer i can't refuse this is as far as i'll go on collecting asahiflexes. still glad i've found these two. Now i'll only need an S and K? to fill the gap to the H2. Maybe one day....
That is so nice. Not often to see that old cameras with original boxes. Don think I have seen the 135mm with box before.

Do you have an AP as well?

---------- Post added 07-13-2022 at 10:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Solterra Quote
Yes, very pleased - it is a beautiful piece of of mid-century technology, and it is proudly displayed. And yes, of course that would be an option! The adapters are very tight, so not something I'd do often though...

Interesting! And, now that you point it out, I see how the bottom of the lens mount is angled rather than square like the m37 mounts... I didn't notice any super-obvious cut-outs though... Please see pictures uploaded.
The cutout is inside the mirror chamber. You would need to remove the front first.
07-13-2022, 11:38 PM - 1 Like   #171
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
That is so nice. Not often to see that old cameras with original boxes. Don think I have seen the 135mm with box before.

Do you have an AP as well?

---------- Post added 07-13-2022 at 10:12 PM ----------

The cutout is inside the mirror chamber. You would need to remove the front first.
Well there's a rather weird story attached to the IIB. Back in the 70ties my uncle had a camera and electronics store, when he died i was appointed to do the close out sale as the buisness wasn't to be continued. Now in the back storage there where a few asahiflexes wich were trade ins, as the sale went on nobody wanted them and in the end i had to sell them at 50 cents a piece. I have never forgiven myselve for not buying them. So as a redemption i vowed that one day i will have an asahiflex. Then a few years ago came this IIb with all the boxes, paperwork and 135mm. It wasn't by no means cheap but i had to have it!
Turns out, when going through the paperwork, it was originally sold in a camera store a few blocks away from where i used to live. What's more, this camera store was owned by the father of a colleage photographer with whome i, in my later career worked with.
07-14-2022, 12:21 AM   #172
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thatcameraguy Quote
Well there's a rather weird story attached to the IIB. Back in the 70ties my uncle had a camera and electronics store, when he died i was appointed to do the close out sale as the buisness wasn't to be continued. Now in the back storage there where a few asahiflexes wich were trade ins, as the sale went on nobody wanted them and in the end i had to sell them at 50 cents a piece. I have never forgiven myselve for not buying them. So as a redemption i vowed that one day i will have an asahiflex. Then a few years ago came this IIb with all the boxes, paperwork and 135mm. It wasn't by no means cheap but i had to have it!
Turns out, when going through the paperwork, it was originally sold in a camera store a few blocks away from where i used to live. What's more, this camera store was owned by the father of a colleage photographer with whome i, in my later career worked with.
Wow, great story! Didn't know that many Asahiflexs were sold in Europe. That is nice to know about. I have not been able to find any imports of Pentax to Norway before the mid-60.

08-08-2022, 05:40 AM   #173
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Asahiflex IIA: Overview Training - PentaxForums.com
11-01-2022, 07:42 PM   #174

Photos: Albums
Does anyone know the serial number ranges for each of the Asahiflex models? I have just received an early IIb which has serial number 46134 while my newest Ia has serial number 43818 so chances are one of them is close to the changeover point.
11-02-2022, 02:58 PM   #175
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Ewins Quote
Does anyone know the serial number ranges for each of the Asahiflex models? I have just received an early IIb which has serial number 46134 while my newest Ia has serial number 43818 so chances are one of them is close to the changeover point.
From Gerjan van Oostens book:
Asahiflex I: 20001-30000
Asahiflex Ia: 30001-45500
Asahiflex IIb: 45501-75000
Asahiflex IIb version 2: 75001 - 85 000
Asahiflex IIa: 47001 - 85000

Then numbers are uncertain and overlaps, some have new numbers due to repairs or mixing of speed finder between bodies. In my own register I have Ia with S/N 28850 and one with 48019 and a IIb with S/N 44307
11-02-2022, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #176

Thanks, so maybe a really early IIb. FWIW my Asahiflex I is 28972 while the Ia numbers are 37884 and 43818 as above.
06-30-2023, 04:59 AM - 3 Likes   #177
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello to all Asahiflex users.

It was great fun to take my old camera out for a spin in the sun. I will post some results here when I get the film developed.

Hope more bring the Asahiflexes for shooting.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G990B  Photo 
08-01-2023, 12:20 AM - 1 Like   #178

A good deal popped up locally recently for a IIa with 58/2.4 (and hood in case!) plus a 135 in case and other bits and bobs all in a 6x7 hard case. Since I didn't have the hood yet, and selling the IIa and 135 would easily cover the entire cost I decided to buy it. Everything was as I expected until I spotted a cable release with the Leica style end that has an internal thread and goes over the release rather than screwing into it. Squinting rather hard I could see it was labelled "Asahiflex JAPAN" but I couldn't work out how to attach it to the shutter release. It was an embarrassingly long time until I realised that the collar around the shutter release unscrews, allowing you to attach the cable release. Since the topic hadn't come up on this thread I thought I'd throw in a couple of photos of what is otherwise an ordinary looking cable release.

08-06-2023, 12:10 PM   #179
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
A good deal popped up locally recently for a IIa with 58/2.4 (and hood in case!) plus a 135 in case and other bits and bobs all in a 6x7 hard case. Since I didn't have the hood yet, and selling the IIa and 135 would easily cover the entire cost I decided to buy it. Everything was as I expected until I spotted a cable release with the Leica style end that has an internal thread and goes over the release rather than screwing into it. Squinting rather hard I could see it was labelled "Asahiflex JAPAN" but I couldn't work out how to attach it to the shutter release. It was an embarrassingly long time until I realised that the collar around the shutter release unscrews, allowing you to attach the cable release. Since the topic hadn't come up on this thread I thought I'd throw in a couple of photos of what is otherwise an ordinary looking cable release.

What a great find. The hood is nice, do you have the drop-in filters?

And thanks for sharing those photos. Now I have to "hunt" for a cable release.

---------- Post added 08-06-2023 at 09:11 PM ----------

6x7 hard case
Even better.
01-11-2024, 07:42 PM - 1 Like   #180
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

glad I found this thread