Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2017, 11:08 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax *ist

Hi all,

I have an opportunity to get a (seller claims is) working *ist. Is there anything in particular I should check for or be concerned about before buying? I don't mind changing foam seals, focusing screen etc. on my own as I have experience with vintage Nikon SLRs.

I know that I should get the official Pentax K mount → M42 adapter. Do M42 lenses meter with this adapter? I have a feeling that auto-aperture won't work but that doesn't concern me much.

If I decide not to get it, which bodies would you recommend getting? I don't mind bodies currently in the "uncool" zone (anything from the 90s, right? :-P). For example, at the moment working and checked Spotmatics sell for about $50 here (Japan) because there is a demand for them from collectors and young people who want a fashion accessory.

Thanks for reading.

02-22-2017, 11:29 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rangi Quote
I know that I should get the official Pentax K mount → M42 adapter. Do M42 lenses meter with this adapter? I have a feeling that auto-aperture won't work but that doesn't concern me much.
Auto aperture doesn't work unless you have an A-type K-mount lens, but you can stop-down meter to set the correct shutter speed with M42 lenses.

But the *ist is really quite basic, despite being the last film SLR that Pentax made. A ZX-5n, PZ-1, or MZ-S would all be nicer, and they have better viewfinders.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-23-2017, 12:16 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Maybe ask that the shutter button on the camera works, not just a connected remote. I have been aware of two *ists that had a problem with the shutter release.
02-23-2017, 12:42 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Auto aperture doesn't work unless you have an A-type K-mount lens, but you can stop-down meter to set the correct shutter speed with M42 lenses.

But the *ist is really quite basic, despite being the last film SLR that Pentax made. A ZX-5n, PZ-1, or MZ-S would all be nicer, and they have better viewfinders.
PZ-1p is very very nice, and compatible with aperture-ring less lenses, to boot (I often mount my D-FA stuff on there and shoot). If it's too big for your taste, the MZ-S is very compact, and the way it prints exposure data on the negative is neat (I found it helpful when I was in a class, where everybody else had their EXIF data).

02-23-2017, 02:30 AM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

OMG! Pentamirror NOOOO! I'll check out all of the bodies you mentioned. Cheers

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
Maybe ask that the shutter button on the camera works, not just a connected remote. I have been aware of two *ists that had a problem with the shutter release.
Hey, what do you know. I asked and "no the shutter doesn't fire, but it may just be because film isn't loaded". You may have just saved me $20 :-)

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
PZ-1p is very very nice, and compatible with aperture-ring less lenses, to boot (I often mount my D-FA stuff on there and shoot). If it's too big for your taste, the MZ-S is very compact, and the way it prints exposure data on the negative is neat (I found it helpful when I was in a class, where everybody else had their EXIF data).
Z1-p looks like the way to go for me. To be honest, I would prefer a MZ-S but they are selling for $100-400 here. That is more than I want to pay for a film body at the moment. Do you have any experience changing focusing screens on the Z1-p? Pentax screens seem to be a rarity, but I'll try a Nikon K screen (still sold here) and see if it fits / works.
02-23-2017, 11:25 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rangi Quote
Z1-p looks like the way to go for me. To be honest, I would prefer a MZ-S but they are selling for $100-400 here. That is more than I want to pay for a film body at the moment. Do you have any experience changing focusing screens on the Z1-p? Pentax screens seem to be a rarity, but I'll try a Nikon K screen (still sold here) and see if it fits / works.
I haven't, but if it's anything like popping out and cleaning the focusing screen on my K-30, it's a breeze. You just need a fingernail or some tweezers to pop open the latch, and some gloves to make sure you don't leave your fingerprints all over it.
03-03-2017, 07:16 PM   #7

Original Poster
Hi! Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I had a chance to get a working and checked SPII for $15 so took it. Working ones usually go for more, but this one had a scratch or two and a tiny bit of crap on the focusing screen which is like kryptonite to Japanese people. Lucky me :-)