Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2008, 01:42 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have never been in medication, even though I can feel when I'm feeling down
And yes going out shooting is a good medicine, but for me the darkroom work is even more therapeutic.
I have still to finish mine here so only film for now, but soon back to the enlarger fixer and selenium!

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Hi folks..Rather than Hi Jack the ''inspired'' thread, I thought I would simply start a new one....

Personally, speaking, I have been suffering from clinical depression for a few years now..Seen many doctors, have built some cool fish tanks, have been on a few different kind of meds, etc and nothing has done for me more than photography, well next to Jesus anyway...But when I feel stressed or down, I simply go for a walk and or a photo hunt and what a difference....If I come back with one good pic, I am happy...If I come back with none, it is still a great time....

Have any others found the same thing?
The only time I was not able to pick the camera for a while was after my father died (I was 15), since taking pictures was something I learned from him and was the thing that got us together a lot.
I was lucky to go to the Galapagos with all my family a few weeks before he died, and we had some fun, but I saw his pain when he tried to climb the small mountain in Bartolome Island.

Last edited by titrisol; 08-11-2008 at 12:15 AM.
08-10-2008, 04:20 PM   #17
Damn Brit

I find that anything that makes me focus (pun not intended) helps with pain, mental or physical. I am suffering with a bad back at the moment (MRI is being scheduled for this coming week) and when I have my camera in hand and I am looking for or taking shots, I forget about the pain. I would say that photography has a greater therapeutic affect because, as well as making me concentrate, it is enjoyable and creative.
Since I got my camera nearly two years ago and much more so since I have joined this forum and met so many nice, knowledgeable and helpful people, my well being has improved immeasurably.
Gary
08-10-2008, 04:22 PM   #18
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
If only photography helped in all cases! My wife suffers from a serious mental illness.
She's a pretty good photographer but when ill she won't even pick up a camera.

Chris
I'm sorry to hear that Chris. I know from personal experience how devastating mental illnesses can be. Maybe someday your wife will find something that helps.
Gary
08-11-2008, 01:28 AM   #19

I read somewhere recently (can't remember exactly where) that one in four people suffer mental illness at some stage in their lives. It probably has something to do with the structures of modern society (which has many benefits but many pressures too). I was diagnozed with depression about 5 years ago. I am very lucky because mild medication controls it very well. I still have to watch out for and avoid certain situations. Anyway, back then, the therapist told me that the only time he could see a light in my eyes was when I was talking about photography. He advised me to pursue this hobby more intensly. He didn't have to ask! ) Since then I have never looked back. I often thought I am too obsessive about photography but I try to remind myself it is better to be obsessive about photography that to be depressed. ) I think finding a religious/spiritual path is a big help. I find getting to know Jesus Christ better better blows any depression right out of the water. So for me, religion/spirituality/searching/whatever.. photography and depression are like three inseperable circles. Each throws light on the other. But of course I think it is possible to be an atheist and be a good photographer as well! )
Brian