Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
02-27-2017, 08:03 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The MV1... a Guilty Pleasure?

Hello All,

I recently acquired this well-worn MV1 from a seller in Japan, for a single digit price; the shipping was twice the price of the camera!

This is the camera for minimalists... no shutter speed in the viewfinder, just a green light and you're good to go. Yellow means use a camera support, the manual doesn't even say where the threshold between green and yellow is, although I assume the bottom of the green range is 1/30 sec.

I took it out this past weekend during a blizzard while staying in downtown Omaha, Nebraska loaded with some expired Plus-X. With the 0 degree (F) wind chill, it was liberating to just see the green light and fire away, knowing I might get something usable. I found myself oddly enjoying the blissfully complete lack of knowledge of what the camera was doing (although I had a fairly good idea with the aperture at f/4). The lens was my long-time trusty Gemini 28/2.8 MC Auto. Should I be feeling guilty for being so unaware of the shutter speeds?

Basically a manual focus point and shoot, it came in handy with the conditions as uncomfortable as they were.

In all, a fun and easy camera to use!

02-27-2017, 11:08 PM - 1 Like   #2

neat, I have the mg model which is very similar. to adjust the shutter speed lift up the film rewind button to reveal the zero set dial.set the dial to zero lining up the zero with the iso setting . pull up the iso dial and move it 2 stops to the positive or 2 stops to the negative.
This lets you adjust the shutter speed the camera has set by 2 stops positive or negative . I had a problem with the mirror sticking up.
to solve this I had to remove 10 second timing cap and lever then remove the leather covers and then remove the bottom plate by unscrewing the screws and removing the shutter box to lubricate the levers, then put it all back . Works fine now.
02-27-2017, 11:57 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Nice shots, what precaution if any do you take to avoid snow melting onto the body?

I usually within reason let the camera body freeze to the outside temperature so that snow that comes into contact with the body can remain frozen and blown off with an air bulb, I just have to make sure to pack it into the bag before taking inside and let it warm up gradually. (Least that's what I been doing with my weather sealed digital).
02-28-2017, 02:25 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I love my MV1 - it's a great walkaround/street shooter precisely because there is no temptation to get bogged down playing with it. I use mine exactly as you have - BW negative film, 28mm lens, click click click.

03-01-2017, 11:39 AM - 1 Like   #5

I have both the MV and the MV1 in my collection. Bought the latter as the former locked up while shooting and required the base plate to be removed to free it off. Usually paired with a Pentax 50mm f2 and its a great little shooter. Light and easy to use. Not shot a roll of black and white through it yet though.
03-01-2017, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Nice images!! Strangely, I've been watching a couple of MV1's on eBay, but your post may have moved the dial from watcher to buyer!

The closest thing I own to the MV1 is my ME Super that's been with me for 35+ years. I have a few Japanese Rangefinders (Yashica Electro 35 GSN, Konica Auto S2 and a pocketable Konica C35 and Minolta Hi-matic F) that are essentially manual focus point and shoots. It is quite fun and free to just shoot when the indicator say it's a go. The Konica C35 and Minotla are fully auto with no adjustment for aperture or shutter speed -- just ISO!! A bit disconcerting at first, but along with the others, they render some very good B&W images (haven't tried color). My Rangefinders are all fixed lens cameras, however, so not as flexible as your MV1. The fact the the MV1 can switch lenses and use an M diopter to correct for my lousy vision is also an added plus!

BTW -- I love the fact that your MV1 is a black body version! :-D
03-01-2017, 02:34 PM   #7

I also have a couple of Auto 110s in the collection, all the benefits of an MV that fits in your pocket!

Last edited by Kenzie2k3; 03-01-2017 at 03:04 PM.
03-01-2017, 07:36 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by claremont247011 Quote
neat, I have the mg model which is very similar. to adjust the shutter speed lift up the film rewind button to reveal the zero set dial.set the dial to zero lining up the zero with the iso setting . pull up the iso dial and move it 2 stops to the positive or 2 stops to the negative.
This lets you adjust the shutter speed the camera has set by 2 stops positive or negative . I had a problem with the mirror sticking up.
to solve this I had to remove 10 second timing cap and lever then remove the leather covers and then remove the bottom plate by unscrewing the screws and removing the shutter box to lubricate the levers, then put it all back . Works fine now.
True, this is about the only adjustment one can make for exposure compensation... and you can't worry about anything else even if you wanted to!

QuoteOriginally posted by kb244 Quote
Nice shots, what precaution if any do you take to avoid snow melting onto the body?

I usually within reason let the camera body freeze to the outside temperature so that snow that comes into contact with the body can remain frozen and blown off with an air bulb, I just have to make sure to pack it into the bag before taking inside and let it warm up gradually. (Least that's what I been doing with my weather sealed digital).
Thank you! I really don't do much except keep the camera under my partially unzipped coat and bring it out only when taking the shot; in this case the humidity was low enough (the wind was gusting over 30mph, the wind chill was zero) I didn't have to worry about fogging.

QuoteOriginally posted by edmundrt Quote
I love my MV1 - it's a great walkaround/street shooter precisely because there is no temptation to get bogged down playing with it. I use mine exactly as you have - BW negative film, 28mm lens, click click click.
I was amazed at how much I felt I could rely on the meter to do what was required... quite liberating and perfect for quick street shooting situations!

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenzie2k3 Quote
I have both the MV and the MV1 in my collection. Bought the latter as the former locked up while shooting and required the base plate to be removed to free it off. Usually paired with a Pentax 50mm f2 and its a great little shooter. Light and easy to use. Not shot a roll of black and white through it yet though.
I guess these are cheap enough (mine was almost a giveaway), if there's a problem, it's easier just to get another.

QuoteOriginally posted by ripper2860 Quote
Nice images!! Strangely, I've been watching a couple of MV1's on eBay, but your post may have moved the dial from watcher to buyer!
Thank you! I got this one on a complete whim, I thought what's there to lose (or not to like) for only nine bucks? Money well spent, you won't regret it.

QuoteQuote:
The closest thing I own to the MV1 is my ME Super that's been with me for 35+ years. I have a few Japanese Rangefinders (Yashica Electro 35 GSN, Konica Auto S2 and a pocketable Konica C35 and Minolta Hi-matic F) that are essentially manual focus point and shoots. It is quite fun and free to just shoot when the indicator say it's a go. The Konica C35 and Minotla are fully auto with no adjustment for aperture or shutter speed -- just ISO!! A bit disconcerting at first, but along with the others, they render some very good B&W images (haven't tried color). My Rangefinders are all fixed lens cameras, however, so not as flexible as your MV1. The fact the the MV1 can switch lenses and use an M diopter to correct for my lousy vision is also an added plus!

BTW -- I love the fact that your MV1 is a black body version! :-D
I too started with an ME Super then eventually an MX which I still consider my front-line film SLR body. But for most general/everyday shooting, this MV1 can do the job! Yes, I like the black body also, a little more discreet. I know there were silver MV/MV1s but I believe they're harder to find.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kenzie2k3 Quote
I also have a couple of Auto 110s in the collection, all the benefits of an MV that fits in your pocket!
Nice setup! Is 110 film easy enough to find? I'm trying to resist the Auto 110... I may just cave in some day.

Last edited by cobbu2; 03-01-2017 at 07:59 PM.
03-01-2017, 11:47 PM - 1 Like   #9

Yes, Lomography sell Orca black and white or Tiger colour film. You can also find expired stock as well.

Sent from my Xperia