Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2017, 06:56 AM   #1

Does my view finder have fungus growing in it???

So i have bought a used Pentax K-1000 as a beginner SLR, I have noticed a thick dark line when i see through the view finder from a distance. When i put my eye against i can't see it, so if it isnt fungus i wont bother getting it clean cause it doesnt affect the photo what so ever. I hope i can get some feed back on what this can be

Attached Images

03-04-2017, 07:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If it is fungus, I *would* bother to get it cleaned.

Fungus/mold/mildew being a living thing grows and migrates. While it may not impact the image landing onto the film, it would only be a matter of time before it eats the focus screen or spreads to the lens.

There's a reason I don't store impacted or suspected gear near my good stuff.
03-04-2017, 07:16 AM   #3

Original Poster
of course ill get it cleaned if it's fungus, but as i live in the country side my closest camera shop is 40 mins+. I just want to see if other think it's fungus so it's worth the drive but thanks!
03-04-2017, 07:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

;p I was implying that you could do it yourself since it's a K1000, since could probably do it with a quip and some 98% isopropyl alcohol, just gotta be careful not to touch the focus screen as even a qtip can scratch it, and avoid any solvents (acetone, litter fluid etc can strip away the coating on the glass or the fresnel in the screen)

03-04-2017, 09:13 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Long shot, but any chance it's the foam bump strip that acts as a shock absorber for the mirror? Could have come unstuck.

They deteriorate over time and need replacing, same as the light seals around the door on the back of the body.

Fungus looks more thread-like.
03-04-2017, 10:11 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Long shot, but any chance it's the foam bump strip that acts as a shock absorber for the mirror? Could have come unstuck.

They deteriorate over time and need replacing, same as the light seals around the door on the back of the body.

Fungus looks more thread-like.
That's what I was thinking, a bit of loose mirror foam.

Phil.
03-04-2017, 10:18 AM   #7
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had the surface in a pentaprism for my Mamiya 645 desilver with age, but it was visible as a stripe across the viewfinder when I looked through it. Just a suggestion.

03-04-2017, 10:43 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hereʻs an excellent video showing how to remove and clean the pentaprism on a K-1000.

Iʻd say I am only average in mechanical repairs, but with patience, the right tools, good light, a clean environment, and my reading glasses, have been able to clean a couple of K1000 pentaprisms successfully.
03-05-2017, 04:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

It's probably just desilvering. If you can still focus and frame your image correctly, I wouldn't worry.
03-14-2017, 11:03 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote

Fungus does not spread from gear to gear. Fungal spores are literlaly everywhere, and are already on every single surface of every piece of gear you own, whether it is "infected" or not. Whether fungus grows from these spores or not depends entirely on 1) whether the substrate is suitable for fungal growth, and 2) whether the conditions you store the items in are conducive to fungal growth. Also, any fungus you can see is 99.9% likely to already be dead.

And no, it's not "only a matter of time" before it spreads. If the camera is kept properly in a cool, dry place, the fungus won't spread at all.
As a biologist I can confirm dcshooter's statement. If you've ever taken an undergraduate introductory course in microbiology, the laboratory practicals will quickly impress upon you how ubiquitous fungal spores and bacteria are in the air column. If you leave the agar (growth medium) right side up and uncovered for longer than a few seconds your Petri dishes will soon display a luxuriant growth of various fungi species. All they need is a little moisture and a suitable growth medium, i.e., the coatings on optics.