Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2017, 11:07 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Expired 800 Max with SF1 test

So, back in the spring I picked up a SF1 in a package with some lenses I wanted to purchase.

I had a few rolls of film still in the freezer, so I put a Kodak Max 800 into the SF1 to test it. I took it out with me occasionally and shot some random images here and there over the last few months, and finally finished it off a couple of weeks back.

Now, I know this film has a rep for being grainy, especially when expired, but I thought I might get something worthwhile.

Nope - images below were taken in roughly the same location at the same time - 1 on the SF1, 1 on my K200D.

I have two rolls of Max 800 left in a box with a Develop Before of 1/2006, and I have two rolls of Gold 200 I believe I put in the freezer around the same time.

Questions...

Any suggestions for something useful I can do with the ugly 800 other than testing that film cameras work?

And, should I assume that the Gold 200 will also have degraded similarly?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
9000F  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K200D  Photo 
03-17-2017, 11:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by YeOldePentaxian Quote
So, back in the spring I picked up a SF1 in a package with some lenses I wanted to purchase.

I had a few rolls of film still in the freezer, so I put a Kodak Max 800 into the SF1 to test it. I took it out with me occasionally and shot some random images here and there over the last few months, and finally finished it off a couple of weeks back.

Now, I know this film has a rep for being grainy, especially when expired, but I thought I might get something worthwhile.
What ISO did you you shoot it at?
I would probably try it at 400 or 200, and see how it works.
03-17-2017, 11:30 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That 800 film is (ballpark figure) ten years old. Override the camera if it will let you, shoot it at 400 or even 200, and see what happens. That, or bracket your shots one and two stops overexposed.

Likewise, your Gold 200 is probably behaving more like a 100 or even a fifty right now.

The relative brightnesses across the scene seem well rendered when measured against the digital; it may even have done a better job in retaining the highlights of the trees on the right hand side of the road. That SF1 is still going pretty good, and you should consider feeding it some in-date film and seeing what it can do.
03-17-2017, 01:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
What ISO did you you shoot it at?
I believe it was shot at 800. With the first roll in an unfamiliar camera I let the camera set it, and it appeared to recognize the film as 800.

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
bracket your shots one and two stops overexposed.
I like that idea. I'm thinking perhaps I might use these last rolls of 800 to compare the SF1 against my ME, or an ME Super that I want to put some new seals in to see if it works. Could put my A 135 on the SF1 and my M 100 on the ME or Super then shoot both with some bracketed tests side by side.

This shot from the end of the roll seems to have good rendition of the sky and snow, then falls apart on the more detailed parts of the image.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
9000F  Photo