Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-24-2017, 06:49 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
NOS boxed screw mount stuff Spotmatic etc...

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

A new in the box Spotmatic w/SMC 50 1.4 Would be nice to see it unwrapped though.Vintage NOS Asahi Pentax Spotmatic SMC Takumar 50mm 1:1.4/50 35mm Camera W/Box | eBay

Seller has other "New" boxed screw mount stuff.I'm in no way affiliated with the sale or seller.

03-24-2017, 07:01 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Second time I've seen one of these since I joined eBay - maybe the second time I've seen this one!
03-25-2017, 04:38 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Every time I see one of these, I think "How fascinating it would be to walk into a camera store and for them to actually have a brand new Spotmatic that had NEVER been sold." How out-of-the-way would such a store have to be? I'm imagining something in Hong Kong. Down an alley, through a door, up several flights of stairs and down a corridor. Small and pokey as heck, smell of incense in the air... but shiny new cameras of yesteryear which, when examined, are in perfect condition.

Sign on the counter says cash only, but the prices (when you ask) are as marked, and a $270 Spotmatic now isn't anywhere near as expensive as a $270 Spotmatic then and you actually have that much on your person.

So you hand them 2017-vintage plastic banknotes and they look at you sort of strange, and you realise you aren't in 2017 any more... Cue spooky music, and the start of a brand new Netflix series.

(If any scriptwriter sees this and wants to run with it, please get in touch with me for concept attribution.)
03-25-2017, 10:12 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I think "How fascinating it would be to walk into a camera store and for them to actually have a brand new Spotmatic that had NEVER been sold."
Did you see the NOS Pentax 645 that Kerrisdale Cameras have for sale when you were recently in the store? A 645 is only about 30 years old, so not in the same league as finding a NOS Spotmatic, but never the less a pretty good find. I keep on have thoughts on buying it, but it's about 1000.00 CDN + tax. Also not sure how the warranty would work on a NOS camera you buy from an authorized Pentax dealer, who has been taken over by another company who can't fix any issues!

Phil.

03-25-2017, 03:32 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Did you see the NOS Pentax 645 that Kerrisdale Cameras have for sale when you were recently in the store? A 645 is only about 30 years old, so not in the same league as finding a NOS Spotmatic, but never the less a pretty good find. I keep on have thoughts on buying it, but it's about 1000.00 CDN + tax. Also not sure how the warranty would work on a NOS camera you buy from an authorized Pentax dealer, who has been taken over by another company who can't fix any issues!

Phil.
LOL, no, I didn't see it but then I wasn't looking for it either. It wasn't in the display case with the rest of the Pentaxes for obvious reasons (size issues). They did offer me a try-out of the K-1 after I mentioned it but I declined, having already held and tried one twice in Australia.

At this stage I have no interest in going medium-format; I barely have time and energy to approach my 35mm developing (ages since I've done a roll b/c of vacation time away plus work pressure), and unlike 35mm for which my workflow is pretty much sorted now, I currently have no easy way to digitise medium-format negatives even if developing is just an extension of what I'm already doing (the reels for my Patterson tank are plastic expandables that will take 645 film, even if it means I could only do one at a time).
03-27-2017, 08:39 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting that a later SMC Takumar lens is packaged with an original Spotmatic body.
Yes, I see those stickers all over the box. But if I were an interested collector
I would ask if lens serial number matches the printed card shown in the photo.

Chris
03-27-2017, 08:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian

The SMC Taks came in in 1971, IIRC, and new Spotmatics were no doubt being sold then. I guess if you didn't want to spend the extra for the just-released Spotmatic II, wanting (and buying) the latest lens with the latest coatings would still have made sense.

03-27-2017, 09:00 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Interesting that a later SMC Takumar lens is packaged with an original Spotmatic body.
Yes, I see those stickers all over the box. But if I were an interested collector
I would ask if lens serial number matches the printed card shown in the photo.

Chris
Looking very closely the lens has a metal, knurled focus ring, so either S-M-C or Super-Takumar. Bid now $199.50, so someone has stripped all the Max Bids.

Considering Eric would need to open the camera, which destroys the NOS value, not for me.
03-28-2017, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sold for $402.87.

I was watching it and it is pretty neat to have the packaging but... (for me) I think I'll be just as happy with my black Spotmatic F that I got a number of years back for $60.

Congrats to the person who won it though. It's a nice looking piece of Pentax history. What are the chances they're a forum member :-)