Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2017, 06:05 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
SFXn selection switch problem maybe

Hi
I just bought an sfxn from ebay as you do. It looks mint but it seems to have a selector switch problem absolutely nothing seems to be able to change mode. it's either normal program mode or aperture priority depending on lens.

Any suggestions?

04-12-2017, 03:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What do you see in the display? I have an SFXn so could check later tonight what mine does. I'm pretty sure it scrolls through the different modes - but I have not used it for some years so can't remember!
04-12-2017, 09:28 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
What do you see in the display? I have an SFXn so could check later tonight what mine does. I'm pretty sure it scrolls through the different modes - but I have not used it for some years so can't remember!
well the iso switch brings up iso (200) I cant change it

exposure compensation +/- again can't change it.

it is working in normal program mode only with ka or newer lens with km or with aperture off the A position Aperture priority.

there is an F presumably for F-stop but it never gives a value.

There must be something quite messed up with it the switches are a bit like rakes they just short copper pads on the boards.

It is odd it really is acting like the earlier sf7

maybe it's lost its firmware (hardware wise they are very similar camera's.
04-13-2017, 02:48 AM   #4
Pentaxian

To change the mode on an SFXn, push the switch on the left to the mode position and use the up/down button on the right to move between the modes. The modes available will depend on whether the lens has an A setting or not. Changing ISO works in the same way.

04-13-2017, 01:22 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
To change the mode on an SFXn, push the switch on the left to the mode position and use the up/down button on the right to move between the modes. The modes available will depend on whether the lens has an A setting or not. Changing ISO works in the same way.
Well it really isn't doing that, I'm convinced there is no input from that selector switch. Everything else is working perfectly. It seems likely the electronics are working perfectly as everything but that switch seem to work fine. So it is extremely likely that there is a disconnect between the switch and the processing engine like dead keys on a keyboard. The boards are interconnected with ribbons so it may be the connector between the board isn't connected.

I found this thread with some interesting diagrams in it

sf1/sfx reflex lense/mirror is sprung in the up position and wont come down - PentaxForums.com

it seems to be missing some related sections thou.
04-14-2017, 01:28 AM   #6
Pentaxian

That could be the case. I like the SFXn so I recently bought a couple more, but the one I've used until now has a dodgy selector switch which works but needs more force than it ought to.
04-14-2017, 07:03 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
That could be the case. I like the SFXn so I recently bought a couple more, but the one I've used until now has a dodgy selector switch which works but needs more force than it ought to.
That is odd the switch is very simple its a bit like one of those fan type leaf rakes it branches into 4 prongs and what you have really is a square pad a space a squarepad and underneath a rectangle all in copper when you move the switch you are just moving it from the space to one or the other squares.

It is very easy to take a look there are 4 pairs of screws and 1 hidden in the battery compartment (two large ones on each strap lug) two at the back of the lcd display 2 similar sized ones underneath the flash housing (you need to take the lens off first. if you have the hotshoe cover remove that and it all lifts up.

Force shouldn't enter into it, might need a little cleaning of those pads.

04-14-2017, 01:45 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Excuse the phone pix - but I had a look at mine and photographed a few pages from the manual.
The Mode switch is the same toggle as the drive switch. Does it do the drive switch functions, or is that stuffed too?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Lumia 650  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Lumia 650  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Lumia 650  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Lumia 650  Photo 
04-14-2017, 04:51 PM   #9

Original Poster
Excuse the phone pix - but I had a look at mine and photographed a few pages from the manual.
The Mode switch is the same toggle as the drive switch. Does it do the drive switch functions, or is that stuffed too?
yes just as stuffed the switches on the left change the display correctly it seems but the selector on the right doesn't change anything.

the only thing that could possibly cause problems would be if the clear button wasnt disengaging after being pressed. If you have 3 hands you might be able to check and see what happens?

To be honest I paid £20 + shipping and got the sfx-n a 35-70 sigma range finder 2 batteries for it 3 rolls of film and a camera bag with a couple of dodgy zips. At €12 -13 for a battery and the 3 films at €1.50 a pop + the Lens I'm still winning on the deal. On the plus side I have a z1-p coming which cost me €45 so the other bits will be put to good use

It is a shame though the foam seals are perfect the camera looks like it's never been used. There should be some voltage across those pads. either the rectangular pad grounds out the signal from either square pad or more likely supplies a voltage to make either pad go high.

it could be a wire off underneath that board, hmmm, i'm reluctant to do more investigation right now as i have a film loaded but ... maybe a little signal injection if i measure the voltage across the left side pads i guess the selector switch would be similar.
04-14-2017, 06:48 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

With luck you can find a donor body - SF1, SFX, SFXn all use the same switch. (SF1 = SFX - different naming for different markets)
04-15-2017, 05:47 AM   #11

Original Poster
With luck you can find a donor body - SF1, SFX, SFXn all use the same switch. (SF1 = SFX - different naming for different markets)
To be fair for parts with shipping would cost as much if not more than i paid for it. Plus if you open one up the switches are very basic consisting of brushes which are attached to the top case and copper pads which are part of small circuit boards attached to the body. seems likely that the input to the chip will be sensing a voltage from this switch. Actually it seems it's a small current . Still doesn't work thou.