Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-17-2017, 09:22 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Best Pentax automatic 35mm SLR for collection

Hi there,

I am a long time Pentax DSLR user, and I shoot film occasionally, I own a used LX before I switch to digital, and now I have a KX, I want to get a automatic body for use and collection. I want to ask your opinion the choice of models to keep beside the LX, my LX has focusing problem the prism or mirror is little off and I found it very noisy so I sold it.

04-17-2017, 10:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
is the Z-1 in the race ?

Pentax Z-1/PZ-1 - Pentax Autofocus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
04-17-2017, 10:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lotech Quote
Hi there,

I am a long time Pentax DSLR user, and I shoot film occasionally, I own a used LX before I switch to digital, and now I have a KX, I want to get a automatic body for use and collection. I want to ask your opinion the choice of models to keep beside the LX, my LX has focusing problem the prism or mirror is little off and I found it very noisy so I sold it.
The K2 DMD might be the most "collectable" of the manual focus AE Pentax bodies, other than the special edition LX bodies.
For something easier to find and less expensive, I'd look at the regular K2 and the Super Program.
04-17-2017, 11:24 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Do you want AF, or just auto exposure? If the latter, one of my favorites is the super program. Otherwise, the Z-1 or MZ-S are the way to go.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-17-2017, 11:54 PM   #5
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The MZ-S is very nice--and the power grip is extremely well made/excellent handling. For me it is the best handling of any Pentax SLR or DSLR.
04-18-2017, 12:43 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hmm... MZ-S is quite interesting, I remember I saw it on the internet long time ago, I thought it was the first DSLR from Pentax. I checked on ebay the price with the grip is about the same as the LX, since a bright viewfinder is more important than AF to me I might go for the Super A instead to save some money, but what is the last model before AF ?
04-18-2017, 02:47 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi there,

I'm with the Super Program/Super A camp. Great little camera. TTL flash, removable body grip, choice of auto modes and petite.
Might be interesting to see what users think of it against the Canon T90 that I like, my favourite no AF film camera but there are many Pentax cameras (like the MZS) I have not used or owned.

04-18-2017, 03:45 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I thought it was the first DSLR from Pentax.
It was supposed to have formed the basis for a 6MP full frame DSLR, but that never came to fruition.
04-18-2017, 07:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The 3 cameras mentioned a few times here -- the LX, Super Program, and MZ-S -- are my top choices for cameras for actual photographic use.

But I'm a little unclear on the "for collection" part. Collection for looks, for future value, or what?
04-18-2017, 10:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Super Program is da bomb! I like it so much that I have 2 of them.
04-18-2017, 07:35 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My take on the hobby is making photographs with old Pentax lenses - it's the lenses that matter. In the automatic K-mount film cameras category I have and use a K2 (and just received a CLA'ed DMD), SuperPROGRAM, LX and MZ-S. I chose them as the right cameras to use with lenses I own, not the other way 'round.
  • K2/K2DMD - My SMC (K) lens collection
  • LX - a few M lenses (but I'll use it with anything)
  • SuperPROGRAM - a few A lenses
  • MZ-S - a few F/FA/FA Limiteds
The K2 is a heavy, finicky camera that I've never really bonded with. The LX is a technological marvel but overkill for me and IMO for automatic shooting, as is the MZ-S most of the time. That leaves the SuperPROGRAM, which is easy to hold and use, has a bright, accurate viewfinder that I can focus with, uses any FF lens with A contacts in my collection (and all the others in manual mode), has accessories and a grip yet is small when I want that.

Of course on any given day almost any FF Pentax lens can be used on any K-mount film body, but consider buying the camera that best suits your lenses.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-18-2017 at 07:42 PM.
04-19-2017, 12:07 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I want to keep couple of Pentax film SLR for casual use when I get bored shooting digital ! so I want them to be reliable, has basic automation, a bright viewfinder...etc., I've a KX already and now want a more 'advanced' one, but may not be the MZ-S, coz more advanced the electronics higher the failure rate especially for an aged camera. My K3 still my everyday camera for now until I got the fund for the K1, shooting and processing film takes patience and time, if I want quick result digital is the only way. Regarding the value, those SLR are relatively cheap, I don't believe I will earn money from reselling them, at least not as much as my older Russian RF...

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
The 3 cameras mentioned a few times here -- the LX, Super Program, and MZ-S -- are my top choices for cameras for actual photographic use.

But I'm a little unclear on the "for collection" part. Collection for looks, for future value, or what?

---------- Post added 04-19-17 at 03:14 PM ----------

I also like the Super Program especially the grip, I feel so tired shooting the KX and other grip-less mirrorless such as the Fuji XE2 for example, the tiny grip on the Super Program is just right for the small body, I wonder if there are any after market custom/universe grip for film SLR ?

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My take on the hobby is making photographs with old Pentax lenses - it's the lenses that matter. In the automatic K-mount film cameras category I have and use a K2 (and just received a CLA'ed DMD), SuperPROGRAM, LX and MZ-S. I chose them as the right cameras to use with lenses I own, not the other way 'round.
  • K2/K2DMD - My SMC (K) lens collection
  • LX - a few M lenses (but I'll use it with anything)
  • SuperPROGRAM - a few A lenses
  • MZ-S - a few F/FA/FA Limiteds
The K2 is a heavy, finicky camera that I've never really bonded with. The LX is a technological marvel but overkill for me and IMO for automatic shooting, as is the MZ-S most of the time. That leaves the SuperPROGRAM, which is easy to hold and use, has a bright, accurate viewfinder that I can focus with, uses any FF lens with A contacts in my collection (and all the others in manual mode), has accessories and a grip yet is small when I want that.

Of course on any given day almost any FF Pentax lens can be used on any K-mount film body, but consider buying the camera that best suits your lenses.
04-19-2017, 01:11 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would suggest the K2DMD as well and a Super A. (The "Super A" is the black only proper original version of the body, the chrome Super Program is just for the US/Canada market.)

If you want a very special version of the Super A then look for the commemorative version with the "European camera of the year 1983" badge on the body.

http://www.aohc.it/catalogo.php?catalogo=oggetti&id_catalogo=70&filtro[tipologia]=15

Phil.
04-19-2017, 02:58 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I felt rather lukewarm about the MZ-S for quite some time and only purchased one on a great tip from Colton here about a year or two ago. The more I used it however, the more I've grown to love it to the point that it truly is one of my favorite cameras nowadays. Just really well thought-out controls and the handling is wonderful. When paired with any of the Limiteds it is just near perfect. Very similar in operation and feel as many Pentax DSLRs but the simpler and IMO better.

I never got on with the SuperProgram. I had one for a couple of years and just never enjoyed, far prefering the LX and MX bodies and even MZ/ZX over it. A nice machine I just never have enjoyed shooting with it for some reason.
04-20-2017, 09:18 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
What about the Program Plus, I just saw one on Amazon, is it a simplified Super Program ? or just a name change for different region ?