Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2017, 05:37 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
ME Super with cocking problem.

I just got this camera this morning and the mirror was up the batteries corroded.

After some fiddling I got the mirror down but its not firing anything like normal.

You can wind on for forever and a day its not locking in although the rear shutter comes up

I think its behaviour changes with the bottom panel off or on

With it off if I wind the shutter on hold the winder out run the self timer wait for a click and then release the winder the rear shutter comes down if I havent been holding it nothing happens pressing the shutter button has no effect.

with the bottom on if i wind on the mirror comes up and the shutter releases when i let go of the winder.

I think when winding on a little piece is supposed to drop into place on the take up spool and get pulled out when the shutter release is pressed.

On the plus side it came with 2 pentax lenses one of which wasn't mentioned in the auction that turns out to be a 50mm m f1.7 as well as a 80-200mm f4. It did have it's eyepiece cover which none of my other camera's have and 2 flash guns a pentax af200s and a franka 214M but the flashes also had very corroded duracells inside so may never work at least 1 battery spring terminal has corroded off.

And a bonus halina automatic super8 movie camera (in a fairly sad state. Which i'm unlikely to ever use, It's £48 to develop a film!
Any suggestions as to a possible fix to the ME shutter or should I just be happy with the lenses.

04-20-2017, 06:20 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have 2 non-working ME Supers that I bought and remember seeing some posts in the forums some time ago regarding fixes. Not much help but if you are determined to fix it, time to trawl through the forum.
On a brighter note, I have a P30, P30T and a P30N, all of them do work even though one of them has a crack in the pentaprism housing. I also have a Program A, a Super A and an A3 that work. All of them bought at around or below the price of a working ME Super (or in my case 2 non working) and they often come with an A lens rather than a M lens.
04-20-2017, 11:49 AM   #3
Giveaway winner!

If it is not the advance arm being out of alignment, then the problem is deeper. Overhaul of the bumpers may be needed.

Yes, I could be wrong, but resist the advice to hose the camera with lube to free up the mechanism or the shutter blade bumpers may suffer.
04-20-2017, 12:05 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MysteryOnion Quote
If it is not the advance arm being out of alignment, then the problem is deeper. Overhaul of the bumpers may be needed.

Yes, I could be wrong, but resist the advice to hose the camera with lube to free up the mechanism or the shutter blade bumpers may suffer.
How do you get into there ?

Screws in the film bay ?

04-20-2017, 05:32 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackest Quote
How do you get into there ?

Screws in the film bay ?
Seems there is 2 ways it is operating with a lens the first curtain goes up the mirror goes up as you wind on and then they go back down when the winder is released.

without a lens the first curtain goes up and can only be released by holding the winder out running the self timer waiting for a click and then releasing the winder handle and the first shutter comes down.

The wind lock appears to be sitting out and not moving in.
04-20-2017, 07:36 PM   #6

You can download a service manual from Pentax-Manuals.com