Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2017, 05:21 AM   #1

MX "tinny" shutter sound.

I have three MX's here (I really must stop buying cameras !), one has a nice normal sounding shutter, one has a verry tinny metalic elongated sound, or like a pinging sound at the end. The third MX is somewhere in between.

I found a thread discussing similar about the LX and the consensus seemed to be that although annoying it is nothing to worry about and also theres not really anything that can realistically be done about it.

Is this the same case for the MX too ?

Has anyone worked out exactly where the sound comes from ?

04-29-2017, 06:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Check the mirror damping foam. It sounds like the metal frame smashing against the housing. Both MXs I got to restore needed a complete foam damping/sealing refurbish. The MX has 3 strips of mirror foam, after I replaced these the camera shutter was as it should.

This is not an easy job and should only be done if you are very mechanically proficient, rebuild lenses etc.

I got an MX free as the owner botched it and I was lucky to save it.

It is not good to fire the MX shutter with deteriorated or missing damping foam!

If the foam is there then I am not sure.

Hope this helps 😎
04-29-2017, 06:41 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks although unfortunately it's not the foam, that is still intact, though I will replace it anyway as it's only just about OK. The noice is actually at the very end of the shutter cycle and I have confirmed the noise is not from the mirroe itself.
04-29-2017, 07:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Mine makes the same noise, and I have heard the same from others. I have other cameras which have a similar ring at the end of their shutter cycles too, both horizontal and vertical, but none which indicate any actual problems. I've just put it down to a quirk in some shutters.

04-29-2017, 08:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There are two versions of MX, early ones had a metal film indicator holder on the back door and newer ones had plastic. Newer ones had better winders and maybe a different shutter sound too... Maybe 😎
04-29-2017, 08:29 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I am guessing since I have two MX's that don't exhibit this sound that it is something that develops over time. Given that there are lots of metal to metal contacts - under tension and with spring action, there are probably parts that eventually wear just enough to begin resonating at this "tinny" frequency. I wouldn't think this is a predictor of imminent failure, but it is probably hard to ignore once you notice it. Do you have a recording of it?
04-29-2017, 08:30 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nocturnal Quote
There are two versions of MX, early ones had a metal film indicator holder on the back door and newer ones had plastic. Newer ones had better winders and maybe a different shutter sound too... Maybe 😎
I can't see any film indicator on the back so I guess all three are older ones and all three sound different; one sounds normal and lovely, the second more of a clunk with it, the third is more of a clun with a resonating ping afterwards.

Of course the one with a great shutter is the one that has a visible ship on the front !

05-07-2017, 09:30 AM   #8
Forum Member

What's meant by "film indicator "is in essence a frame or sleeve attached to the center of the door that you slide the top of a film box into so you know what's loaded in the camera. Plastic or metal
05-07-2017, 10:16 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Craftsman Quote
What's meant by "film indicator "is in essence a frame or sleeve attached to the center of the door that you slide the top of a film box into so you know what's loaded in the camera. Plastic or metal
Oh I see that ! Yes they all have those.....