Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 21 Likes Search this Thread
05-05-2017, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pixelhdr Quote
Learning can be hard, objective criticisms are necessary part of learning. I would not mind being banned if I had intended that to be personal. Commenting on technique is fair game. Not expressing an honest opinion is at a minimum not helpful and lying in the worst case. All of the responses addressing me have been personal. If you can't take any criticism, find another hobby.
In the thread Don't you just hate it when... you stated:
QuoteOriginally posted by Pixelhdr Quote
I believe skill is at least as important, if not more important, as equipment. Criticizing equipment is objective but commenting on skill (or lack of) is personal attack.

For future reference, unless critique is asked for - or posted in the Picture critique forum, your opinion should be tempered accordingly.

---------- Post added 05-05-17 at 08:08 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
I really have no desire at this point to get involved in color processing and read that color film can be processed with a B&W developer and since this was just a test roll anyway, I decided what the heck?
Great job improvising and a process I have not done myself so good to know and certainly worth a try. It has me wondering that since it is processed as b&w if my scanner's ICE (dust and scratch removal) will work on it? FYI as ICE doesn't work on true b&w film.

Last edited by LesDMess; 05-05-2017 at 05:13 PM.
05-05-2017, 08:42 PM - 2 Likes   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Too many great comments to reply to them all so I'll just say that yes, I intend to do a lot more with film, exclusively in B&W for the time being. While I work on improving my film technique, metering skills (many of my cameras have no meter: SV, K, S1, and Mamiya RB67 ProS), I will be using a ton of film that I got for free including some color film and some B&W, including 200 feet of bulk TX400. All of it is expired and much of it is of questionable quality until I develop the first roll. I do plan on getting a scanner eventually. I just haven't looked into the features of the various models to decide what I think woill work best for me.

As for the negativity earlier in the thread. I believe that Pixelhdr was really just offering his opinion but maybe didn't consider all of what this thread was about as carefully as some of us try to do. In the interest of keeping with the community atmosphere that has kept me coming back here every day, Since I have been able to get past it, I would appreciate it if everyone here could try to do the same. Pixelhdr contacted me off line and assured me that it was not his intention to be offensive and I believe him. 'Nuff said.

Thanks for all of the encouragement though. It feeds me.
05-06-2017, 03:57 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
many of my cameras have no meter: SV, K, S1,
Three meterless Pentax 35mm SLRs of the pre-Spotmatic era - very similar in some ways, but (at least from their specs) all significantly different. Definitely the K is the standout here in terms of its operation and ergonomics, but I must ask out of curiosity what the differences & enjoyability are in the experience of using them that have kept all of them in your collection.

I should add that I'm speaking as one who shoots a fairly wide variety of Pentax film bodies and who deliberately went from a relatively sophisticated one to others significantly less so; it's definitely not a "Why the heck are you still using those old clunkers?" question (the only reason I'm not currently shooting with my MX or S1a is that they're on their way to Eric right now).
05-07-2017, 06:06 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Too many great comments to reply to them all so I'll just say that yes, I intend to do a lot more with film, exclusively in B&W for the time being. While I work on improving my film technique, metering skills (many of my cameras have no meter: SV, K, S1, and Mamiya RB67 ProS), I will be using a ton of film that I got for free including some color film and some B&W, including 200 feet of bulk TX400. All of it is expired and much of it is of questionable quality until I develop the first roll. I do plan on getting a scanner eventually. I just haven't looked into the features of the various models to decide what I think woill work best for me.

As for the negativity earlier in the thread. I believe that Pixelhdr was really just offering his opinion but maybe didn't consider all of what this thread was about as carefully as some of us try to do. In the interest of keeping with the community atmosphere that has kept me coming back here every day, Since I have been able to get past it, I would appreciate it if everyone here could try to do the same. Pixelhdr contacted me off line and assured me that it was not his intention to be offensive and I believe him. 'Nuff said.

Thanks for all of the encouragement though. It feeds me.
In our tempered climate expired film is safe for decade.

05-07-2017, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
It's Ironic that you mention this. I just developed another roll today that was almost 23 years old and the pictures actually look really good. Here's one of my daughter who turns 23 in about 3 weeks. Again, I'm just handheld shooting these off of a light table with my 5D3 Canon. Once I get my scanner in a couple weeks the quality should improve significantly.
05-08-2017, 04:23 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome back to film, ctrout! Just ignore the naysayers -- they're jealous and bored. Thus becoming petty and boring. You''re on the right track, I think. Keep it up and work on expanding your horizons, cuz it's all good. You know, we may not have the variety of film emulsions that we once did, but those that we do have are the best there's ever been.
05-08-2017, 04:38 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
In the thread Don't you just hate it when... you stated:

For future reference, unless critique is asked for - or posted in the Picture critique forum, your opinion should be tempered accordingly.

---------- Post added 05-05-17 at 08:08 PM ----------

Great job improvising and a process I have not done myself so good to know and certainly worth a try. It has me wondering that since it is processed as b&w if my scanner's ICE (dust and scratch removal) will work on it? FYI as ICE doesn't work on true b&w film.
It will be a true silver film if you used a mono dev and fix though the base will be coloured. So ICE won't behave well!